Flaring fuel line for AN on a kinked Fuel filter

r-town

Guys, one of the issues i'm going to tackle when removing my engine is repairing the fuel line under the fuel filter. This line is pretty kinked. Is this what most of you guys have done to fix the issue? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46hFmkTGGV8)

The whole AN sizing is confusing, need a guideline on how to do this properly. Thanks

alltracman78

Note to anyone replacing their fuel filter; there's a nut on the top of the filter. You can hold the fitting on the lower fuel line and spin the filter itself [remove the top fuel line and loosen the filter clamp first]. This helps to prevent damaging the fuel line.
You can tighten this way too.
If it's really bad you can cut off the bracket for the fuel line off the top and use an impact and socket.

You should definitely be able to do this.
It's very important to get the flare right or it will leak; that's a very easy flare to do.
Do yourself a favor and buy a good flaring tool like that. Cheap ones are a pain.
Also, make sure you cut the line STRAIGHT. If you cut it crooked it may not flare right. A compact tubing cutter is probably best.
Make sure you clean the cut end of the tubing after you cut it.

You might need a section of tubing, depending how far from the current flare the kink is.
You're also going to need an adapter to the fuel filter [AN to metric]. I can't remember what size thread the filter is.

Do yourself a favor and buy good quality fittings like russel or earls.
IIRC the TOP fuel line [fuel rail to pressure line] is equivalent to 6 AN, so that's what I'd start with for the bottom.
But double check.

AN size info
http://www.russellperformance.com/misc/support/

Good luck!

*With all that info in mind, I completely forgot the lower filter is a flare fitting also. You're going to need an adapter that has a metric flare end to match the flare end in the filter. I'm not sure if that exists.
You can also use a different filter that has a compatible lower fitting, but then you'll have to adapt to the upper fuel line. This might be the easiest option; the upper adapter just has to be whatever the filter is to a metric banjo.
Or you can do a metric flare on the bottom. This is a more complicated flare [it's a double flare] but definitely can be done. If the kink is up near the top this will be much easier [you're cutting the kink out and reflaring lower down [don't forget to put the nut on the line before you flare it.

I hope that covers everything. :)

r-town

Thanks for all this info is very helpful! :D The line is kinked for about 6 inches bellow fuel filter. Currently just ordered the flaring tool model from the Youtube video and later will other a pipe cutter. Waiting until the summer until I get a big break from school so I can take the motor out. Now I have a better idea how to tackle this, many thanks.

Side note: The other option I have, is to use the whole line from my other Alltrac (soon to be parts car) but it might be too complex to replace the whole line all the way from the tank.

r-town

After two years ... :lol: I finally fixed the kinked line!

Side note: The fuel line required a 5AN which is very close to 8mm. I bought all the fittings through Summit Racing. I went with Earls as it seemed that was a really good brand. Indeed the fittings are good quality. However, they were bagged improperly and even though the bag said "5AN tube nut" it was smaller than a 5AN because the tube sleeve did not fit properly and also the thread was not matching the 5AN to 6AN adapter. I contacted Earls to see what happen with their quality and control, and they never replied. Summit Racing had no idea about this issue.

Finally, went to eBay, and bought some "Inline Tube" stainless steel 5AN tube nut and sleeve, and voila! Perfect fit.

fuelLineRetroFit.jpg

The exact same thing happened to me, except I twisted mine right below the fuel filter where the line has a bend in it. After trying to flare it, which was frustratingly difficult, I ended up cutting an entire section of fuel line off a junkyard GT model and connected them with a fitting like the one pictured. It's not perfect, but it works and doesn't leak. If you'd be interested in selling your complete fuel feed line off the parts car though, I'd be a buyer :wink:

10600426_dor_800204_pri_larg.jpg

r-town

All-TracDreams":24xtod6z said:
The exact same thing happened to me, except I twisted mine right below the fuel filter where the line has a bend in it. After trying to flare it, which was frustratingly difficult, I ended up cutting an entire section of fuel line off a junkyard GT model and connected them with a fitting like the one pictured. It's not perfect, but it works and doesn't leak. If you'd be interested in selling your complete fuel feed line off the parts car though, I'd be a buyer :wink:

10600426_dor_800204_pri_larg.jpg

I'm replacing the kinked portion with about a foot of 6AN braided hose line with a metric adapter for the fuel filter. Once I remove the engine from the parts car, I will try to remove all usable parts and scrap the body. I guess shipping the fuel line without damaging it will be tough.