Insanity-74s ST205 Rally Hybrid build

Insanity-74

Returned to it after a small break

More rubbing down :lol: its taking a little longer than i first thought, but its not too bad, i am quite enjoying it :clap:

I decided to go for smooth raiser blocks

Toyota HiLux washer jets with a fan spray pattern.....a perfect fit. Dont know where the spray patern will hit though so i may have to find a different one as they dont look to have any adjustment, i guess i wont find out until the build is finished.

And putting a new ceiling on the garage so when i start spraying it will be as clean an environment as possible

Insanity-74

A small update, a bit of preparation for spraying.

I decided to re-plumd the air system, i thoughht another water trap/filter wouldnt go amiss, i also made the whole system movable so its easy to move if i change the location of the compressor or move house.

As you can see its work in progress,mstill waiting for the new filter to turn up. To anyone wanting to have a go at home spraying.....you can never have too many filters, you dont want any water in the air.

MWP

Insanity-74":1babxig3 said:
More rubbing down :lol: its taking a little longer than i first thought, but its not too bad, i am quite enjoying it :clap:

Enjoying it? You masochist! :twisted: :p
There is nothing i hate more working on cars wise than rubbing back paint & bog.

Nice work though :)

Insanity-74

MWP":15pb58rb said:
Insanity-74":15pb58rb said:

Enjoying it? You masochist! :twisted: :p
There is nothing i hate more working on cars wise than rubbing back paint & bog.

Nice work though :)

I dont mind it, strangely the thing I hate the most is changing wheels, the amount of jobs i have put off doing on cars because i have to remove a wheel is ridiculous, yet such a simple task :shrug:

MWP

Hah, yeah thats very true.

Are you building rally style stand points into your sills?
Its the one chassis mod i would really like to do to mine at the moment. Jack stands are terrible.

Insanity-74

No i wont be. I thought about it and I agree jack stands are terrible, it took me a week to rebuild the crushed sill seams from previous years of abuse by careless mechanics. If i was building an all out rally car then it would definately be on the list.

Insanity-74

Frustrating day #618.

After much sanding and sanding and sanding, i was finally ready to apply some epoxy mastic 421 undercoat, i carefully masked off the car, a task which in itself took a whole day. I launched my new Devilbiss GPi spray gun and merrily sprayed away, looking like a pale darth vader in all the spray gear, respirator etc in managed to scare the local cats away and spray toxic material without dieing..........the finished job looked okay for a beginner/amateur/novice but one of my neigbours decided that it would be a good time to "beat a rug", now thats not a metafor for anything rude, but who the hell beats a rug these days? Havnt they heard of a vacuun cleaner? Needless to say, the laws of "f?ck you Nial" came into play and all of the dust from the rug managed to drift directly into my garage, dont swirl around the neigbourhood at all giving me a chance, it was like someone had stuck a dust magnet in my car, the beautiful primer now looked like it had mange, either that or the shell suddenly reached puberty as i am sure theres a pubic hair or two gracing the roof. Luckily the primer had semi set so alot of it just blew off with the airgun, the rest, well it looks like i am back to sanding again, began wet sanding yesterday, finish it off today and maybe get a new coat of primer down......this time the garage door is staying well and truely shut until the primer is dry.

I also managed to get hold of some projector headlights which after repairing two broken tabs look fabulous. Once i have managed to get this primer down, i will put all the panels on to make sure everything lines up okay before i apply any more paint....fingers crossed its not rug beating day again. Grrrrrrrrrrr

A

Anonymous

Following the build :notworthy: :notworthy: , making me more excited about my recent 1990 st185 purchase that needs some work as well :D .

Insanity-74

Sorry for the lack of updates, i do minor updates on my facebook page, had a few mistakes along the way, mostly silly things like forgetting to put hardener in the clear coat etc. But ,aking some good progress now.....at last.

Starting to get some colour down :) its only the underside of the bonnet, but a successful step for a diy novis paint sprayer

And the Toms front lip done

And getting thebrear crash bar refurbished

Insanity-74

MWP":2c4xhove said:
Insanity-74":2c4xhove said:
like forgetting to put hardener in the clear coat ...

Ouch, i would hate to deal with that. How did you?

Paintv stripper and rubbing it down back to primer, took ages but the results have been good, inwill attempt the front bumper and maybe the top of the bonnet this weekend :)

Insanity-74

CSAlltrac":1ef9dpzu said:
Man that sucks! How much of the car was sprayed?

Luckily only the rear spoiler so it didnt take too long to sort out, could have done without it though, but i guess its a learning curve. I wont forget to add hardener ever again :doh:

Managed to half spray the front bumper yesterday, but rain stopped play.......all i need is a few days of sunshine and no rain and progress could be made. Summer here has been terrible with hardly any hot sunny days.....which is what i really need when spraying.

CSAlltrac

Insanity-74":2d70lhps said:
CSAlltrac":2d70lhps said:

Luckily only the rear spoiler so it didnt take too long to sort out, could have done without it though, but i guess its a learning curve. I wont forget to add hardener ever again :doh:

Managed to half spray the front bumper yesterday, but rain stopped play.......all i need is a few days of sunshine and no rain and progress could be made. Summer here has been terrible with hardly any hot sunny days.....which is what i really need when spraying.
Glad you caught that quick. I've seen some guys spray the whole car and do that. Want to talk about crawling into a hole and dying!

Insanity-74

CSAlltrac":1li0888l said:
Insanity-74":1li0888l said:
CSAlltrac":1li0888l said:

Glad you caught that quick. I've seen some guys spray the whole car and do that. Want to talk about crawling into a hole and dying!

I can imagine....its horrible to remove as it never sets, you cant sand it off, paint stripper is a nightmare as it can eat through the plastic aswell, makes me wish i had a media blaster. Hopefully its not something i will do again.

Insanity-74

Managed to get the front bumper sprayed, not perfect but it will be soon, a couple of runs and some dust but easily sorted with a bit of wet n dry.

aus jd 2703

insanity whats your trade? ie job?
curious if you are getting this good of a result with a DIY paint job, maybe there is hope for me giving it a go lol

awesome work eitherway