ATX CS.

Locker

other than the obvious tune up parts. What additional parts did you have to buy to complete the swap.

Also its a great time to buy a second engine from Canada...I am going to spend more getting my harness built by Doug than I spent buying my motor thanks to our weak dollar. lol

CMS-GT4

Thanks for the info. I have kicked around the idea of grabbing a 2nd 205 engine or a 4th gen to build up at my leisure. I don't want to do so much that I have to go stand alone. I would say My 205 swap put me another few $k to get done since I had to track down some sensors, intercooler, etc... Plus having had bought a whole clip I would had known where all the wires and hoses were. I spent some time on the phone with people in the UK, and had to even go see a 205 myself to get all my notes together to hook it all up right. The 205 bgb isn't as good as the 185 one. Speaking of which, is there is a caldina bgb floating around online?

CSAlltrac

Locker":i4c7lrzk said:
other than the obvious tune up parts. What additional parts did you have to buy to complete the swap.

Also its a great time to buy a second engine from Canada...I am going to spend more getting my harness built by Doug than I spent buying my motor thanks to our weak dollar. lol
Anyone doing the swap will need a Downpipe for the CT15 unless going 20B. A tach adapter is also needed, yes you can modify the stock cluster with a 5 cent resistor to make it work but the labor you save with a MSD box is worth it alone; Doug also leaves the three wires exposed making the install super easy. Really there isn't anything special needed once you have a converted harness.
CMS-GT4":i4c7lrzk said:
Thanks for the info. I have kicked around the idea of grabbing a 2nd 205 engine or a 4th gen to build up at my leisure. I don't want to do so much that I have to go stand alone. I would say My 205 swap put me another few $k to get done since I had to track down some sensors, intercooler, etc... Plus having had bought a whole clip I would had known where all the wires and hoses were. I spent some time on the phone with people in the UK, and had to even go see a 205 myself to get all my notes together to hook it all up right. The 205 bgb isn't as good as the 185 one. Speaking of which, is there is a caldina bgb floating around online?
Prime MR2 sells maintenance info, its out there for free. Just have to search.

GT4times2

CSAlltrac":34ycep7q said:
Locker":34ycep7q said:

Anyone doing the swap will need a Downpipe for the CT15 unless going 20B. A tach adapter is also needed, yes you can modify the stock cluster with a 5 cent resistor to make it work but the labor you save with a MSD box is worth it alone; Doug also leaves the three wires exposed making the install super easy. Really there isn't anything special needed once you have a converted harness.

Although going MSD is the way to go, any info on the resistor? I'm just curious.

CMS-GT4":34ycep7q said:

Although going MSD is the way to go, any info on the resistor? I'm just curious.

Here are links:

http://www.primemr2.com/store/c16/GEN4_ ... Parts.html

http://www.primemr2.com/store/p47/Elect ... 3SGTE.html

760gt4

GT4times2":3iq0mvjn said:
CSAlltrac":3iq0mvjn said:
Locker":3iq0mvjn said:

CMS-GT4":3iq0mvjn said:

Here are links:

http://www.primemr2.com/store/c16/GEN4_ ... Parts.html

http://www.primemr2.com/store/p47/Elect ... 3SGTE.html
Check this out.
viewtopic.php?t=51125

GT4times2

CSAlltrac":3b0lat0c said:
CMS-GT4":3b0lat0c said:
Beyond sourcing the engine how much more did this swap end up costing for odds and ends? When I did the 205 swap I would had saved money had I bought a clip.
All said and done Ill be under $5K, take the engine/ECU cost from that -$1100. Thats also including things that are not "needed" for a running car as well as some suspension components and transmission service. Gen4 is MUCH more affordable than Gen3, the only downfall are the weaker rods, something easily addressed if goals are more than 300AWHP. I plan to pick up a second Gen4 and perform a hone, forged pistons, rods, and nothing else other than the associated gaskets and clean up. This should gain high(er) boost capabilities and put me in the 350 range. When I say high boost I mean 20lbs or so.
One could do a Gen4 swap for around $2K if the know how is there and some shopping around was done for the engine. This is assuming the subject car has a good trans and engine to get needed mounts, brackets, etc...Ive seen Gen4s for as low as $800

Agreed on 90% of things. The rods "strength" is still debatable. Thinner doesn't necessarily mean weaker. 2JZ VVTi rods are thinner than non-VVTI rods, but not necessarily weaker. Metallurgy was different than previous gen motors, and they held just as much power as the non-VVTi units. There were more examples of Supra/SC300/IS300/GS300 turbo motors/swaps, and attempts to make more power than 4th Gen 3S motors. We're not afforded that luxury.
And very few of us want to be the "one" to push the engine to its limits with these rods. So sensibility dictates that we upgrade and not push to see how much power they'll hold (even with ARP on stock rods).

Here's the kicker.
:|
However to protect my motor (like I would any Gen 3S, I plan on doing the same to my ST165 Gen 4 swap in the following months. (Wiseco 86mm pistons, Manley or Eagle rods, bearings, etc.) Just to solidify the bottom end. Nothing outrageous.

And as we speak I'm watching a 4th Gen on Ebay for under $700. No harness though. Perfect for a build for anyone with a 4th Gen Swap already.

760gt4

GT4times2":2tfplkss said:
760gt4":2tfplkss said:

Thank you!!
I had 3 msd tach converters work perfectly for 5 minutes before randomly burning out. I got tired of sendimg them back so now I'm gonna try and mod the actual tach. It obviously should work as many have done it before. I also heard from Paul woods that you can just link the wire (substitute solder wire for a resistor) and it will work just as good.

CSAlltrac

GT4times2":5onf747y said:
CSAlltrac":5onf747y said:
CMS-GT4":5onf747y said:
Beyond sourcing the engine how much more did this swap end up costing for odds and ends? When I did the 205 swap I would had saved money had I bought a clip.
All said and done Ill be under $5K, take the engine/ECU cost from that -$1100. Thats also including things that are not "needed" for a running car as well as some suspension components and transmission service. Gen4 is MUCH more affordable than Gen3, the only downfall are the weaker rods, something easily addressed if goals are more than 300AWHP. I plan to pick up a second Gen4 and perform a hone, forged pistons, rods, and nothing else other than the associated gaskets and clean up. This should gain high(er) boost capabilities and put me in the 350 range. When I say high boost I mean 20lbs or so.
One could do a Gen4 swap for around $2K if the know how is there and some shopping around was done for the engine. This is assuming the subject car has a good trans and engine to get needed mounts, brackets, etc...Ive seen Gen4s for as low as $800

Agreed on 90% of things. The rods "strength" is still debatable. Thinner doesn't necessarily mean weaker. 2JZ VVTi rods are thinner than non-VVTI rods, but not necessarily weaker. Metallurgy was different than previous gen motors, and they held just as much power as the non-VVTi units. There were more examples of Supra/SC300/IS300/GS300 turbo motors/swaps, and attempts to make more power than 4th Gen 3S motors. We're not afforded that luxury.
And very few of us want to be the "one" to push the engine to its limits with these rods. So sensibility dictates that we upgrade and not push to see how much power they'll hold (even with ARP on stock rods).

Here's the kicker.
:|
However to protect my motor (like I would any Gen 3S, I plan on doing the same to my ST165 Gen 4 swap in the following months. (Wiseco 86mm pistons, Manley or Eagle rods, bearings, etc.) Just to solidify the bottom end. Nothing outrageous.

And as we speak I'm watching a 4th Gen on Ebay for under $700. No harness though. Perfect for a build for anyone with a 4th Gen Swap already.
Maybe with the reliability, some of us may find ourselves in a position of having a Gen4 with a stout bottom end ready to go in waiting for the current engine to fail. That would be a good opportunity to push things.(Not It!) There is a video of a Gen4 MR2 throwing a rod on the dyno, forgot the boost levels but he was in the 400 range. At that point its also all about tuning, a good tuner can work wonders.

CSAlltrac

So the life issue that popped up was taken care of, more like postponed for a few years. Things are back on track with getting her back on the road. I only have a couple more things to do and I will be ready to dial it in. Waiting on a boost controller, need to order a tach adapter, and need to order new brake lines and perform full system flush. Went with the TurboSmart E-2 for the boost controller, it has some awesome features that should mate well with the Gen4. The engine bay is all complete and I am very happy with how it all came out. Should be on road in a couple more weeks.

U can solder in a 10ohm resistor into the tach circuit board behind the cluster. This will make ur tach read the signal from the Ecu. I'm glad you went with the 4th gen. Im the owner of the 4th gen swapped green Gts from 2012 torc in long beach!

CSAlltrac

celicast184":1ur4bqq3 said:
U can solder in a 10ohm resistor into the tach circuit board behind the cluster. This will make ur tach read the signal from the Ecu. I'm glad you went with the 4th gen. Im the owner of the 4th gen swapped green Gts from 2012 torc in long beach!
I don't have the stock cluster anymore. :roll:
Thanks for the kind words guys. Im probably going to end up replacing the side engine mounts with stock units. The vibration caused by the solid mounts is a little much for me. Im curious to hear what others that have purchased the same mounts have to say about them.

msanders2

I have the stock side mounts and stock front and rear mounts with kikisaurus inserts and it's great. Not much engine vibration.

GT4times2

CSAlltrac":3ojvp1lk said:
celicast184":3ojvp1lk said:
I don't have the stock cluster anymore. :roll:
Thanks for the kind words guys. Im probably going to end up replacing the side engine mounts with stock units. The vibration caused by the solid mounts is a little much for me. Im curious to hear what others that have purchased the same mounts have to say about them.

GT-4 Racing has Poly inserts for the factory passenger side mount. I ordered mine, but haven't received them yet. I will share my experience with them. (By then some may have gone back to stock or found an alternative).

CSAlltrac

Drove the car for the first boosted runs last night. Car has an amazing new personality with manners! Set the TurboSmart to 16 LBS and love the pull at this level, some 110 and 17 LBS should be even more of a blast. Plan on taking her out on her maiden voyage to Austin C&C this weekend, time to start up some Hagarty insurance on the old girl. Having the hardest of times sitting here at work when all I want to do is go drive. :shoots: :shoots:

88st165

Oh man can't wait to get my swap done. I also blew my motor during a track day. Does the 4g respond and drive as good as everyone says? Just curious your thoughts Bc your previous engine seemed to be in good working order so you can compare healthy engine to healthy engine. Others might have had really beat engines thus making the 4g seem that much better.