"BADNEWS" makes 865AWHP @40psi

BADNEWS

Went back to the dyno on February 10th and made:

Gate pressure (23psi) = 625awhp, 440 torque
25psi= 650awhp, 449 torque
30psi= 742awhp, 512 torque
35psi= 832awhp, 562 torque
40psi= 865awhp, 591 torque

You can see the power gains diminished bad when going from 35psi to 40psi. So I stopped there. I was suppose to make 915awhp @40psi. So I was off by 50hp. Something with the turbo is maxed out.

Here is the video:
https://youtu.be/wwueTgYcS-Y

MODS

Engine:
5S stroker (2.2 Liter) CP pistons (10:1 compression), Cunningham rods, 5S crank
98+ 5S block Half Filled
Swain Tech Coated Piston, Rods, Crank, Bearings, Combustion Chamber, and Exhaust Ports
ARP main studs
ARP L19 head studs
Hux Racing head stud step washers
ATS 5S .051 Headgasket
shimmed ATS oil pump +4.25mm
ported head (made so exhaust ports flow 20% more than intake ports)
GSC bronze valve guides
GSC Beehive valve springs
GSC Beehive titanium retainers
SuperTech 1mm oversized valves (Inconel on exhaust side)
Shimless conversion
HKS 272 10.4mm cams (IN/EX)
HKS cam gears
HKS timing belt
Unorthodox underdrive crank pulley
Fensport overdrive power steering pulley
Fensport Std size Alt pulley
O2 Induction custom intake manifold
Phenolic spacer
Wilson 80mm Throttle Body
Moroso Oil Pan
Custom Crank Scraper
Electromoitve TEC3
Magnecor Plug Wires to work with TEC3 coils
Speed Source solid engine mounts
Speed Source SS clutch line
Speed Source shifter bushings
Speed Source Crossmember Bushings
Custom Exhaust 3.5 inch w/ Apex-i Titanium N1 Muffler
Golpher 40mm Aluminum Radiator

Drivetrain:
Clutch Masters FX725 twin disk clutch
ACPT carbon 1 piece driveshaft
Toyota transmission with (93+ MR2 1st, 2nd gear, and shafts) (ST185 3rd-5th) and (ST205/93+ MR2 synchros)
Frana Billet Shift Forks
Hux Racing Scatter Shield
Mario's Center Viscous Coupling upgrade set to 300 ft/lbs
Mario's Rear Diff Mount
Cusco Rear LSD
Custom Solid Aluminum Rear Sub-Frame Mounts

Fuel:
Two Hux Racing fuel rails
Precision 95 Lbs/hr injectors (Primary)
Precision 165 Lbs/hr injectors (Secondary)
Aeromotive A100 fuel pressure regulator
Aeromotive Fuel Filters
Aeromotive Eliminator fuel pump
Aeromotive Fuel Pump Controller
JAZ 12 gallon fuel cell

Turbo:
Full Race twin scroll T4 exhaust manifold
Forced Performance HTZ4094R w/ 1.19 A/R Turbine Housing (In Precision terms it's a 6768 turbo)
2 Tial 44mm wastegates
Turbo Smart E-Boost 2 controller
Presicion 24 X 12 x 4 intercooler
HKS SS BOV
All wiggins clamps on the IC piping

Suspension and Brakes:
Tein SS coilovers
Whiteline 20mm rear adjustable swaybar
93 27mm front Toyota sway bar
93 rear control arms
Superflex full bushing Kit
Rocketeer Front and Rear brake kits
SSR Competition 17 X 8 wheels w 245/40 17 tires

Interior:
Momo competition steering wheel
TWM short throw shifter
TRD shift knob
Custom Autometer gauge cluster
Autometer 3 3/8 Speedo (0-160mph)
Autometer 3 3/8 tach
Autometer 2 1/16 fuel level
Autometer 2 1/16 water temp
Autometer 2 5/8 fuel pressure
Autometer 2 5/8 oil pressure
Holley A/F 2 1/16 gauge with FJO wideband
Sparco Figther race seats
Sparco competition 5 point 3" Harness
Custom 12 point cage

Exterior:
Lexus IS 300 Graphite Gray Pearl paint
Shaved fuel door, rear wiper, and rear washer nozzle
VIS RC hood
RC front bumber

Pipedreams

Great numbers but I don´t think it´s the turbo that´s holding you back, it´s the cams. My cams are advertised as 269 but at 1mm lift they are 236 and I have vvt to play with. And without active vvt I made ~560ft/lbs at the hubs at ~30psi. I´d say throw some Kelford 3-195-TC in there and see it come alive and hand down the HKS to someone looking for 600hp.

BADNEWS

I sent Forced Performance an email about my dyno session. I just basically asked what they thought about it. If they believed my turbine wheel was maxed out. Or if he thought I had room left to improve in my setup. I told him I would really like to hit 900awhp just to say I did it but I don't want to stick much money into doing it.

The response I got is posted below. To me it sounds like his 1st guess would be that the compressor wheel is at its limit. Here it is below.

Ryan,

1. The turbo is rated at around 95lb a minute so usually at or near it's max shaft speed most people will see between 825-925WHP. It can be pushed further but depends on how much shaft speed it has left in it. Consider the big HP gains at the lower boost pressure and reaching a point at 40PSI where the gains were diminishing quickly I would hazard that the turbo can't spin much faster without risking damage.

2. You can possibly extract more power by improving how the air is able to move through the motor but since I don't know enough about your car or platform I'm not sure where to point you.

3. Is the 1.19 divided? If so that housing will act like a .95 open housing at max flow but without back pressure who knows if it's holding you back.

Unfortunately without a shaft speed sensor, egt, and back pressure it's hard to know how much if left on the table if any.

Thanks,
Michael

Pipedreams

How does the duty on the boostcontrol look? If the turbo is running out of breath you would probably have had to ramp up the duty at higher rpms to hold the boost.

Pipedreams

That looks pretty linear so I would guess you have some headroom. And with the higher comp ratio and running e85 right? Then you should be capable of reaching the upper area of the claimed 825-925whp range.

ChrisD

Good job Ryan. As to getting a bit more out of it, it does seem like you are nearing the edge of the turbo limits. But there might be a few things you could try depending on whether you think it is worth the expense to experiment at this point...

-intake manifold design - could go back to the drawing board and tune runner lengths for top-end. Also could be worth considering plenum volume and ensuring an equally distributed flow.
-same with exhaust manifold. I know Full-Race only says it's 'close' to equal length. Could go custom with RacerX to get a true equal length built, long runner design...
-What size is your IC piping? Could play with that...
-Other obvious things...triple check for any boost leaks. Check the Aeromotive FPR, they seem to all leak out of the top nut. Mine did...don't want to leave any power on the table for things like that...

Toyotalevin

Nice job . From 35psi it should definitely be in the 900 brackets you are consistent with the 90hp gain until the last 5psi which is 33hp that's a lot to drop. I think it could be a flow problem thou

BADNEWS

ChrisD":dagti82v said:
-intake manifold design - could go back to the drawing board and tune runner lengths for top-end. Also could be worth considering plenum volume and ensuring an equally distributed flow.
-same with exhaust manifold. I know Full-Race only says it's 'close' to equal length. Could go custom with RacerX to get a true equal length built, long runner design...
-What size is your IC piping? Could play with that...
-Other obvious things...triple check for any boost leaks. Check the Aeromotive FPR, they seem to all leak out of the top nut. Mine did...don't want to leave any power on the table for things like that...

1-Pretty sure my high horsepower per psi on an Alltrac is because of my intake manifold. It seems to perform better than most I see.
2-Exhaust manifold design is very forgiving when running a twin scroll setup like I have. I started doubting that also an research a bunch. With a twin scroll you can get away with smaller runners, shorter runners and non equal length to get the same performance as a perfectly tuned open housing turbo.
3-I have a 2.5" IC pip off the turbo and it expands to 3" before the intercooler. Then I have 3" all the way to the throttle body. I know Evos make 900+whp on just 2.5" piping
4-I will try a boost leak test. haven't done one in a while. But I really think the turbo is just maxed out.

Toyotalevin":dagti82v said:
Nice job . From 35psi it should definitely be in the 900 brackets you are consistent with the 90hp gain until the last 5psi which is 33hp that's a lot to drop. I think it could be a flow problem thou
Probably a turbo not able to flow anymore problem is my guess. What is your guess?

Toyotalevin":dagti82v said:
Can give me a link to Mario would love to get the center viscous upgrade
http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=36743
That is the thread I got it from.

Toyotalevin

I was talking to one of my friends and he was saying the same thing I think the front stop.think a 76 front wheel will do

BADNEWS

I think to get more power from this turbo I would have to do things that improve the Volume Efficiency of my motor. IMHO my weakest part on my setup is the HKS 3rd gen 272 cams. I could be wrong. I just have them set to HKS spec of intake-112, exhaust 115. Now when you compare that to other manufacturers specs they seem conservative. Or am I wrong? Anyone know a lot about cam timing?

HKS 264 3rd gen
Cam Gears
Intake-112
Exhaust-115
Overlap- (-3)
degrees LSA-113.5

HKS 272 3rd gen
Cam Gears 0, 0
Intake-112
Exhaust-115
Overlap- 5 degrees
LSA 113.5

HKS 264 2nd gen
Cam Gears (+2, -6)
ATS dyno tuned (+4, -8)
Intake-109.5
Exhaust-103
Overlap-14 degrees
LSA-106.25

HKS 272 2nd gen
Cam Gears(+3, -4)
Intake-109.5
Exhaust-108
Overlap-17 degrees
LSA-108.75

GSC S1 268 3rd gen
Cam Gear (+2 -5)
Intake-107
Exhaust-112
Overlap- 7 degrees
LSA-109.5

GSC S2 274 3rd gen
Cam Gears
Intake-106
Exhaust-112
Overlap-14
LSA-109

GSC S1 268 2nd gen
Cam Gears
Intake-107
Exhaust-111
Overlap-8
LSA-109

GSC S2 274 2nd gen
Cam Gears
Marius cam gear dyno tuned (+1.5, -8.5)
Intake-106
Exhaust-112
Overlap-14 degrees
LSA-109

Kelford 262 3rd gen
Cam gears
Intake-110
Exhaust-114
Overlap- 4 degrees
LSA-112

Kelford 272 3rd gen
Cam Gears
Intake-108
Exahust-114
Overlap-10 degrees
LSA-111

Kelford 280 3rd gen
Cam Gears
Intake-108
Exhaust-116
Overlap-16 degrees
LSA-112

Kelford 258 2nd gen
Cam Gears
Intake-110
Exhaust-112
Overlap- 0 degrees
LSA-111

Kelford 270 2nd Gen
Cam Gears
Intake-108
Exhuast-116
Overlap- 8 degrees
LSA-112

Kelford 278 2nd gen
Cam Gears
Intake-105
Exhaust-115
Overlap- 20 degrees
LSA-110

BC 264
Cam Gears-
Intake-110
Exhaust-118
Overlap- (-12) based @.050 vs .040 for all other cams. -2 is my est. @ .040
LSA-114

BC 272 Cam
Gears-
Intake-110
Exhaust-118
Overlap- (-6) based @ .050 vs .040 for all other cams. 4 degrees is my est. @ .040
LSA-114

Pipedreams

It's better to compare duration at 1mm lift as it tells you how it ramps up. So an advertised 272 could have less duration than a 264 at 1mm and the thing we are looking for is time/area so a cam with more lift earlier gives more overall area for the time it's open (duration) as I mentioned in my earlier post I think Kelford 3-195-TC would be a good match for your engine.