Project ST165-ST205 Swap

audiodjmp77

The BRD contact is Louis, I thought. His products look first rate and he is approachable. Not sure he is on here, but on the drivers club / enthusiasts club he is mixer74. Drop him a PM

Sent from my phone. Sorry for any mistakes

zaluss

audiodjmp77":2vf4tb3a said:
The BRD contact is Louis, I thought. His products look first rate and he is approachable. Not sure he is on here, but on the drivers club / enthusiasts club he is mixer74. Drop him a PM

It is Lou. Sorry I was referring to the blue ST165 :)

zaluss

Last weekend I pulled into the garage after a short drive and noticed only one of the fans working. I took a peak at the wiring and saw one of the spade connectors had been pulled out of the fuse holder. Instead of reconnecting it, I decided to redo them entirely with room for expansion as it was just a bunch of wires I stuffed behind the battery :banghead:.

Taking some inspiration from here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvFHA1xY10w.

First I wired it up.

Then had my fiance wire it to the fans and the battery. She also stole my celica shirt for this :laugh:

Temporary place until I get a smaller Odyssey battery.

In-cabin relays for future gauge expansion in the passenger footwell.

And of course a quick rear end shot.

zaluss

Picked up a PLX wideband and oil temp/pressure sensors. More pics to come!

6e91e25c1fff9b4eccaaa76fcba2ceac.jpg

6957590724bd61978aa811b0b60d5cdd.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Im going to be doing this same swap on my 88 soon. How was wiring up the 205 engine harness? Is there anything special to modify, or was it just providing power/ground? I come from the BMW/Audi/Volvo world of cars and Im not too familiar with toyota.

zaluss

JRWperformance":1l0zfbh7 said:
Im going to be doing this same swap on my 88 soon. How was wiring up the 205 engine harness? Is there anything special to modify, or was it just providing power/ground? I come from the BMW/Audi/Volvo world of cars and Im not too familiar with toyota.

I paid wiregapinc.com to do it. $450 for plug n play.

That actually sounds pretty good. I know I can wire up the car myself, but this would take the pain in the ass factor down a big notch. Thanks.

zaluss

Due to the lack of room between the oil pressure sensor and the intercooler, I have to remotely mount the sensor. I stumbled upon this thread on the MR2OC forums and went ahead and bought the parts. http://www.mr2oc.com/58-3sgte-mk1-5/466 ... ssues.html.

Parts ordered:

Ni7PMJBl.jpg

Order received from Jegs (Summit was OOS on the brake line).

0tLwBv0l.jpg

Installed into the head.

LOxqqObl.jpg

Remote installed using some galvanized hanger brackets I had laying around.

8gaNvmrl.jpg

Installing the oil temp sensor was a breeze. The Gen3 3SGTE block conveniently leaves three open 3/8 BSPT ports above the oil filter housing. May have been used/leftover for racing use. Who knows? Either way, I removed the threaded insert with an allen wrench. I had the worse time looking for a 3/8 BSPT to 1/8 NPT adapter until I stumbled across 42 Draft designs EVO adapter. Since it was the only one available, I went ahead and ordered that one.

1ie2dKdl.jpg

Better reference.

mr2rev3turbooilsensorlocations.png

Installed.

Wired up.

zaluss

I was bored tonight so I decided to cut open my OEM Toyota filter to look for metal chunks and overall curiosity. I've cut open cheaper store brand filters so I did not expect all these components.

zaluss

On the 4th of July I was cruising along with my buddy when all of a sudden the car started to loose power. I glance at my AFR and its pegged at 10, even at idle. Giving it ANY power made it nearly die, along with a sputter of backfires. Essentially dumping fuel. I pulled into a parking lot and code 31 popped up, which is a vacuum sensor fault for gen3. I unplugged the battery, blew out the MAP sensor, and babied the car home.

Thanks to PrimeMR2, I acquired a brand new gen3 map sensor which included the MR2 bracket. The bracket allowed me to mount the boost sensor to the firewall instead of being zip tied under the power steering high pressure hose.

LLNKjbLl.jpg

ax7KKFQl.jpg

8IC11lTl.jpg

wfCEMyEl.jpg

pahCJDdl.jpg

I also needed an alignment so I took it to Meisterwerks in Renton, WA. They opened up a new shop with a fancy alignment machine so I took the car down.

vUPU27sl.jpg

a2kqFyDl.jpg

e3Krcb4l.jpg

zaluss

Manual boost controller stopped working. Picked up a Turbosmart EBoost Street and cranked her up to just under fuel cut for the MR2 ECU.

dFoe6kp.jpg

10.5 AFR @ WOT.

zaluss

Finally picked up a set of JDM corners. Needed some polishing so I polished and then wired it up.

HGddzK2h.jpg

zCaMCDuh.jpg

i285RMMh.jpg

Gr1NFmdh.jpg

Moved the placement of my turbosmart boost controller to a mounted position on the factory BOV.

uLdLrvah.jpg

Also took a few interior shots in the sun because why not?

Gf2UmHFh.jpg

1DMbGGEh.jpg

wkga1Xph.jpg

zaluss

audiodjmp77":36c3tkjq said:
The leather looks on really good condition. Are they standard?

Seats were redone by the previous owner.

zaluss

End of Summer Upgrade

I spent the last few weeks upgrading a few key components:

1) Larger heat exchanger.
2) Larger IC pump
3) Heat wrap top mount heat exchanger
4) Cut and fiberglass the ST205 original airbox.
5) Run a force-fed intake from the lower front bumper. Inspiration from here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=50901
6) Battery relocation to trunk.

Heat exchanger arrives.

yvNMQ6tl.jpg

Xbox One S controller for scale.

vz65jprl.jpg

Draining the coolant from the original IC.

rExdgcNl.jpg

Intercooler removal.

AOw6fr1l.jpg

Bosch/cobra pump installed.

7R3NdNgl.jpg

Using zip ties to measure positioning.

MKPN2w6l.jpg

cBnbYOfl.jpg

fhofE8El.jpg

Using some threaded rod and rod ends, heat exchanger mounted.

gA3M5v9l.jpg

Heat wrapped the top mount intercooler

KmRSMgZl.jpg

PCYfpJYl.jpg

gfOqVBal.jpg

Fiberglassed and fitted ST205 airbox. No pics of fiberglass process (sorry). It required the entire bottom section to be cut and fiberglassed over.

2FQ69Pql.jpg

Used an aluminum project box to store my various fan and accessory relays.

oJog002l.jpg

7BcT4Wll.jpg

RXyCM7Ul.jpg

Cut a 3" hole to run the air ducting to the factory airbox.

naSdVwYll.jpg

im3XlXvl.jpg

5AHnZEVl.jpg

Bumper hole still needs some triming.

p4PlkvYl.jpg

Battery mounted in the rear passenger hatch.

BhlkwaGl.jpg

fqKrMzGl.jpg

Still a few more things to do so I'll add more pictures once completed.