Replacing Fuel Filter

Aaron

I'm in the fuel section of the BGB and there is literally no reference to the filter. How is that possible? I see fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel injectors... What is going on?

Aaron

The correct steps to replace the fuel filter. I already know that I have to relieve the fuel pressure first, but I just wanted to double check the procedure so that I wouldn't accidentally forget something else.

yyonline

Procedure is roughly...remove the air box and charcoal canister. Remove the cruise control motor if equipped (leave the cables attached, just move it to the side). Unbolt the old fuel filter, bolt on the new fuel filter. Use new crush washers on the fuel supply hose. Torque the banjo bolt to 22 ft*lbf. Banjo bolt is 17mm, compression nut on the bottom is 14mm. You'll need a line wrench for that. Hold the filter so it doesn't spin (17mm nut welded on bottom of filter.) Careful not to twist the fuel line - it likes to twist and break off if it's rusty.

FYI Toyota considers the OEM fuel filter good for the life time of the car, and does not specify a replacement interval (At least not in the USA service schedule). Even name brand aftermarket filters aren't built to the same quality. I've cut both open to compare.

zaluss

qnjbGOil.jpg

Before starting this, I recommend disconnecting the fuel pump fuse and starting the car until the engine stalls out to remove excess fuel in the system.

OEM isn't that expensive and considering the work involved, I would absolutely go OEM. Basically you just need to undo the lower nut first with a flare nut wrench, undo the top nut connected to the fuel rail, and then remove the two bolts that hold it on.

___Scott___

I just replaced my fuel filter about an hour ago. It was easy.

Step 1: remove the engine and set it aside. :lol:
Step 2: umm, never mind, there is already good advice above.

Additional note: Replacing the inner tie rods while the engine is out is pretty easy too.

underscore

yyonline":38k757ur said:
FYI Toyota considers the OEM fuel filter good for the life time of the car, and does not specify a replacement interval (At least not in the USA service schedule).

Well sure, since when it clogs the engine will lean out and get fried. For the amount of time and effort it takes to do I like to swap mine every few years.

Aaron

yyonline":3drq66id said:
Procedure is roughly...remove the air box and charcoal canister. Remove the cruise control motor if equipped (leave the cables attached, just move it to the side). Unbolt the old fuel filter, bolt on the new fuel filter. Use new crush washers on the fuel supply hose. Torque the banjo bolt to 22 ft*lbf. Banjo bolt is 17mm, compression nut on the bottom is 14mm. You'll need a line wrench for that. Hold the filter so it doesn't spin (17mm nut welded on bottom of filter.) Careful not to twist the fuel line - it likes to twist and break off if it's rusty.

FYI Toyota considers the OEM fuel filter good for the life time of the car, and does not specify a replacement interval (At least not in the USA service schedule). Even name brand aftermarket filters aren't built to the same quality. I've cut both open to compare.

Just what I was looking for, thanks. Also, I'm only changing it because the car has been sitting for a few months.