No Start (I've been searching for 2 weeks)

mrfunny107

So... I am about to throw in the towel on my ST165. It's all come down to wiring gremlins.

1.) I cannot get 12V to the starter signal wire. I cant even get 0.01V to it.
2.) Fuel pump doesnt even go off and I cant get 12V to it either.

I peeled back the engine harness and saw the wires that go to the starter signal wire. Starter signal (black) branched off into 2 wires, one going to the Circuit opening relay and the other to the ECU. Makes sense.

I have ripped out the interior wiring harnesses and inspected them. I see no signs of anyone tampering with them. I checked my ignition switch. I do get 12V when I go to the START position at the switch. I do hear the starter relay click off. (I did take it off and test it for continuity and resistance with a 12V supply). The clutch pedal switch is good (I jumped it).

Staring at these wiring diagrams. It looks like a simple circuit, but I am about to push this thing off a cliff. I see that from the ignition switch (ST1) it is a black-white wire that branches off into 2 black-white wires going to the starter relay. (I confirmed that when I took the harnesses out). Then I tried to trace the black wire that goes from the starter relay to the starter signal wire. It I traced it to the passenger foot well junction block by the door.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE TO GO FROM THERE!!!!!!! :bangshead: :bangshead: :bangshead:

psipwrd

Did you try a new starter relay? Or the starter relay mod? You may not be getting enough amps and may have to upgrade the wiring.

Also, something that worked for me after not driving for a while is connecting leads to a 9v battery and tapping it on the relay contacts a few times.

mrfunny107

I'm not even trying to crank the starter yet. I just want to see if I can even get 12V to that signal wire. I ha met tried a new starter relay yet. But I tested it with 12V applied and without 12V and it is functioning. So I don't think it's relay. The relay mod ain't gonna work if I can't even get voltage to the signal wire.

mrfunny107

Clock yes and check engine light. My buddy who has late 80's surpas said his OEM ecu had an immobilizer. Thinks this might have one too.

Have you also tried another battery?

Lets stick to the basics first..

A new battery does not mean it is necessarily a good battery!

Get a multimeter out.

It should be easily over 12v, even after you have fully turned the key and tried to start it.

Then from there I would take off the starter motor and try one you know that works.

Seeing that all power goes through the alternator, check the connections there also and check the earth from it.

If you have clocks and dash lights I would normally rule this out but since they require very little power to work, lets not rule anything out here.

How many clicks are you getting from the starter relay?

Just one would indicate a very weak battery, or a conpletely shite starter motor.

If you think it is an immobiliser issue you can bypass the fuel pump at the diagnostic port by bridging 2 connections with a small piece of wire.

If this works and the fuel pump primes, then you will know it is an immobiliser issue.

Look online at which 2 ports to bridge to bypass the fuel pump on the st165.

Depends how long you hold the key for at the start position, to see how many clicks you get.

If you hold it there a while and only get 1 initial click, then the battery is most probably turd.