ST185 Engine Mount - Discontinued - Now What?

I am doing a mechanical restoration on the drive train of my ST185 this spring/summer, ahead of a body restoration planned for this fall/winter. I ran into a part availability problem, could use your help.

I am changing all 4 engine mounts. I have 3 OEM (Toyota) mounts, but a 4th (passenger side) mount has been discontinued by Toyota (P/N 12362-74140). There doesn't appear to be any after market sources for this particular mount either. I do have a new P/N 12362-74120, for the ST184 coupe/hatchback (convertible has yet a different part number), but that mount is not identical (it may be interchangeable, but I see differences in the housing at least).

Just want to know if any of you have replaced your ST185 engine mounts recently and ran into the passenger side mount availability issue - what did you do? Has anyone used the 12362-74120 mount and, if so, how did it work for you? If you found an after market source, let me know the source and part number you used, and let me know if it is working for you. Would like to get this part issue resolved before starting the work process.

zaluss

You have a couple of choices for aftermarket.

Xiiimotorsports
http://www.xiiimotorsports.com/index.ph ... g-kit.html
1385441_672432172791516_879176200_n.jpg

Brooks Racing (BRD) His personal car is a ST185.
https://www.facebook.com/Brooks.Racing.Dev/?fref=ts
12932815_1302022009826132_8423984666009718437_n.jpg

I believe both of them can make a side engine mount with a varying degree of hardness.

yyonline

Get the engine mount from the 90-93 manual transmission convertible. It's the same as the ST185 RH mount, with one exception. You'll need to remove the top stud and replace it with the longer stud out of your old mount. The convertible mount has the same numbers molded into the rubber and everything. Toyota part number 12362-74200. Why the convertible got a special mount that's practically identical to the ST185 mount, when the GT coupe/hatch mount is different I have no idea...but there you have it.

yyonline":11xv7wtf said:
Get the engine mount from the 90-93 manual transmission convertible. It's the same as the ST185 RH mount, with one exception. You'll need to remove the top stud and replace it with the longer stud out of your old mount. The convertible mount has the same numbers molded into the rubber and everything. Toyota part number 12362-74200. Why the convertible got a special mount that's practically identical to the ST185 mount, when the GT coupe/hatch mount is different I have no idea...but there you have it.

I just looked up the application for 12362-74200, and that part number ties to the 1991-1993 5th Gen Celica Convertible, manual or automatic transmission. I have a fully restored 1993 Celica convertible, and just checked that mount, and sure enough, it looks identical except the stud for the stay is shorter on the convertible. What do you know, I had the answer to my own question without knowing it right in the garage.

Thank-you, YYONLINE, for your tip. I'll have to check if Toyota has 12362-74200 still available, I'm assuming the stud is threaded into the mount housing, so all I need is to double-nut the exposed thread of the stud (to lock the stud), then turn it out, right? If so, this will work great!

Wonderful forum here - great group of experts. May be asking more questions as I begin the mechanical restoration.

celica_gtx

Keep searching n be patient. Not to knock solid motor mounts but I pulled mine within a week for oem and kept my N-S solid. Less vibration will transfer to the car and be more pleasurable to drive. If ur going all track yea solids. And with N-S in the motor still doesn't move. I'm happy w my setup for my driving style. Just my 2 cents

yyonline

If Toyota doesn't have them any more, the partsgeek.com site I linked has them in stock. I ordered one from there just based on the photo. I was curious if it matched the all-trac one or not. It was a factory item, in a bag with the Toyota sticker and all. So that's an option if Toyota's out of them.

ChrisD

Amayama.com lists it as available, $91.86 + shipping. Genuine Toyota.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

There were 5 of the convertible engine mounts still available nationwide in the US, so I ordered one through Titus-Will Toyota parts (old 1stToyotaParts.com). Should arrive early next week. I intend to start the engine work next week also, so I'll advise how this convertible mount works, but I trust the swap of stay studs is the only adjustment I need to make to use the convertible mount.

Just a follow-up to this thread. Yes, the '91-'93 Celica GT Convertible RH engine mount is identical to the ST185 RH engine mount, except the stay stud is shorter, but the ST185 old mount stay stud was easy to remove and put into the new '91-'93 Celica Convertible RH mount. So this input was great. Not many of these '91-'93 Celica GT convertible engine mounts left out there anymore though.