OKC Project-8/1/15-Another fun car!

toayoztan

5 more damn days and i'm back home!

Man, I've been away from this forum for like a year, just been lurking rarely here and there.

Can't wait to be back and see what's been going on, and of course working on my alltrac!

Bryan

Redswan

alltracfeb24037bm1.jpg

:crazy: time for updates old friend!

toayoztan

Alright. Long time away.

Been in school, now working and getting paid. Project will move forward and hopefully quite nicely.

Here is the main topics for the to do list to complete the project:

-New fuel lines and rebuild fuel tank.
-New brake lines and install rebuilt stock calipers. I would like to upgrade to BBK, but didn't find much. What's out there now?
-Rebuild my RC transmission.
-Fabricate exhaust. My brother just completed mocking up a custom top feed exhaust manifold.
-Install EMS. Originally went with AEM EMS-4. However, thinking of the AEM Infinity. Experience with these?
-Install new wheels. I need to roll my fenders. I'm hoping it'll fit with the 25mm rear spacers. If not, may need to drop to 20mm.

Bryan

CSAlltrac

Dont tease us Bryan! Better give us some updates with pictures.
I was looking at BBK from K-Sport. They are now offering a very nice package with Monoblock calipers. I would personally stick with the EMS-4 you have. Infinity is obviously an upgrade but having a high quality ECU in hand already is much less of a headache.
You need to come down and visit

toayoztan

Hey guys, long time again.

My alltrac is still coming together, I'll have to get some pictures of it. My little brother, who does welding for me, is moving back to OKC so we will have things moving along quicker.

In the meantime, I picked up another fun car.

1993.5 Toyota Supra Turbo, 6speed, 71k miles, black exterior/tan interior. Paint is all original, no accidents, no mods except HKS super dragger exhaust and front strut bar.

First owner was a doctor and owned it for the first 21 years, then passed away and his wife sold the car.

Second owner kept it for 6 months before selling it to me. He has a 98 Supra turbo black on black with 41k miles, and decided to get a Porsche so he didn't need two supras.

I'm pretty happy with it, it's all original, window sticker, service records, and receipts all come with the car.

I'll probably use this car as a stock fun car until my alltrac gets built. Afterwards, I'll have to decide then what to do with the Supra. I'll probably keep it stock, to be honest and may pick up a cheaper supra to mod if I go that route.

Here's a teaser pic. It was cleaned and detailed to go up for sale by previous owner, but I am going to do more detailing work up to my OCD standards!

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=A ... hoto%2cjpg

Bryan

toayoztan

Have been away for awhile.

John (csalltrac) came up to OKC from Austin for a visit, and I was able to regain energy to finally get this project done (well...faster anyway, I had always intended on completing the project).

I am going to repost most of the pictures through a better pic host (image shack apparently is not hosting the pictures at the moment).

John did an incredible job cutting, polishing, and detailing the car. I'll have some pictures posted.

He's also talked me into considering the Gen4. After I get the rest of the body together, suspension all tightened up, along with brakes installed, a new gen4 motor will probably be in the works!

Bryan

GT4times2

Good to hear. Can't go wrong with the Gen 4. Best option for those wanting to enjoy their car(s) and tired of seeing them as garage queens. Can't wait for the pics. Which hosting site are you planning on using? Looks like I'll be switching mine too.

toayoztan

GT4times2":1spm5co4 said:
Good to hear. Can't go wrong with the Gen 4. Best option for those wanting to enjoy their car(s) and tired of seeing them as garage queens. Can't wait for the pics. Which hosting site are you planning on using? Looks like I'll be switching mine too.

No clue which I'll use yet. I may look into OneDrive, since I use it regularly. Or maybe Google? Any recommendations?

Yeah, as for Gen4, I'm still looking for 4-500 awhp. The Gen2 I put a lot of money into will probably go into an older celica (77 liftback gt perhaps?).

Bryan

aus jd 2703

Gen 4 is nice don't get me wrong. I'm running a gen 3. But depending what you want to do it maybe more cost effective to mod the gen 2 up to spec.
Gen 4 still have some issues. And 4-500hp your not using much of the stock assembly. Crank and blocks about it.

Have you considered beams? Or late 5s blocks? Bot imo have large advantages over gen 4. Even more so at elevated hp levels.

I always saw the gen 4 as the go to for a 250-300awhp set up. Outside of that the benefits start to diminish especially when considering cost.

Curious on your reasons for gen 4? CAS? COP? Block casting? Sump?

UtahSleeper

aus jd 2703":2zvjxqtx said:
Gen 4 is nice don't get me wrong. I'm running a gen 3. But depending what you want to do it maybe more cost effective to mod the gen 2 up to spec.
Gen 4 still have some issues. And 4-500hp your not using much of the stock assembly. Crank and blocks about it.

Have you considered beams? Or late 5s blocks? Bot imo have large advantages over gen 4. Even more so at elevated hp levels.

I always saw the gen 4 as the go to for a 250-300awhp set up. Outside of that the benefits start to diminish especially when considering cost.

Curious on your reasons for gen 4? CAS? COP? Block casting? Sump?

Isn't the only weak point of the gen 4 the connecting rods?

I love my gen 4 so far, but I am also just stock(minus the standard intake/exhaust). I love it for the obd2, COP and a little easier to troubleshoot cause the ECU is modern. Doesn't mean much if your standalone though.

aus jd 2703

Parts support and parts them selves are hard to get. Cams are almost non existent.
Plus money spent going gen 4 can go a long way on a gen 2. Such as turbo or ecu or forged.

CSAlltrac

aus jd 2703":gcr4m1gb said:
Parts support and parts them selves are hard to get. Cams are almost non existent.
Plus money spent going gen 4 can go a long way on a gen 2. Such as turbo or ecu or forged.
Gen3 internals will work in Gen4, Prime MR2 will provide ANY parts you need from the JDM market for Gen4. Money spent to get a Gen2 on Gen4 level could be spent modding a Gen4. The bottom line is Gen2 is archaic, Gen4 is modern day tech. that can be taken to much higher, reliable levels based on the computer alone.

aus jd 2703

your purchase price for a gen 4 must be far lower there then here in aus.
my point is the $3k from a gen 4 front cut could be spent on ecu and turbo.

not all gen 4 blocks are the revised casting so cracking can still occur.
the crank angle sensor set up isnt needed until high rpm.
the head flows marginally better but again no cam options.

i run a gen 3 and wish i had of gone a beams swap. but my point is depending on hp sometimes money is better invested in building up what you have then buying a new motor that may or may not require a rebuild....

tonnes of people make high hp on gen 2.

GT4times2

aus jd 2703":3ssj4rb0 said:
your purchase price for a gen 4 must be far lower there then here in aus.
my point is the $3k from a gen 4 front cut could be spent on ecu and turbo.

not all gen 4 blocks are the revised casting so cracking can still occur.
the crank angle sensor set up isnt needed until high rpm.
the head flows marginally better but again no cam options.

i run a gen 3 and wish i had of gone a beams swap. but my point is depending on hp sometimes money is better invested in building up what you have then buying a new motor that may or may not require a rebuild....

tonnes of people make high hp on gen 2.

Might be cheaper in the US, I guess. Not sure what you guys pay on average in AUS. For what many seem to be looking for these days, the Gen 4 makes perfect sense. A more modern set up at an affordable price. Cheaper to get a "lower" mileage 4th Gen engine than rebuilding a Gen 2, then having to deal with all the steps to bring it close to Gen 4 factory specs (minus stock rods). Most Gen 4 owners seemingly at this point are looking for a 300whp-400whp without having to rebuild, bypass AFM, getting a side feed intake manifold set up, faster spooling turbo etc. All that comes stock and relatively cheap in a 4th Gen.

Whatever works for you. I have gone 1st, 2nd and 3rd and now 4th on various All Tracs. And no way, am I going 1st or 2nd gen for what I'm looking for. I got rid of (almost) everything 1st and 2nd gen. Now say, you're looking to build 600whp+, I say any generation will do it.

Anyways, back to Bryan's build

toayoztan

Thanks for the feedback guys on the Gen4 motor.

I have a built Gen 2 long block waiting to go in. However, I recently bought another toy to add to my cars - 1977 Celica GT Liftback.

The goal for now is to get the Gen2 in the alltrac to get it running and make sure it's good to go (since I already have everything set up for it).

What I then may end up doing is putting it in the 77, buy a Gen4, and go from there.

The above post labeled as "test" is me trying to figure out the best way to host pictures. I have a google Pixel phone with all my photos automatically uploaded to the cloud Google Photos. However, they don't provide directly xyz.jpg links for HTML on this board so you guys can see the pics without clicking on links. I think I may be forced to download these back to my laptop and upload them to someone like Photobucket to host my photos. I've been wrapping up a lot and feel an update is in order. It won't be as detailed oriented as my previous posts (which I will have to upload again with working pictures), but I think you all will still enjoy them.

Look for the update over the next week!

Bryan