SCCA ST165 finally begins

More pics to come but this is the current state of things... 222whp264wtq with 35mm restrictor and 252whp272wtq unrestricted 46mm CT27

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

88st165

Love it! Man how many sets of wheels do you have? They all look awesome. Thank you for sharing this :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMS-GT4

I been watching the car on Seamus's Instagram. How's the car feel? I might need to ask you about those lower caster bushings. I need to recenter my wheels after changing caster up top.

The L/F wheel bearing failed in my first weekend. It took us a while to figure out because initially I kept losing the brake pedal. Later on we figured out the rotor was kicking the pads back as the hub was moving around excessively. I tried to tough it out but it failed on the second morning. Overall felt great all things considered. But we need to make some setup changes. Understeers a lot compared to the Miatas I'm used to. In the end with brake issues, left foot pumping the whole course to keep it alive, and basically a straight off the trailer setup, I was only 1.5 seconds slower than the fastest class car during the Majors race two weeks earlier... Im happy with that! And we made it to the national championships at Mid-Ohio, so I'll really be putting it through its paces for the first time at the biggest race of the year. Zero pressure!! Lol

88st165

Wow I would love to see this car in action! Any videos? If a wheel bearing is all you had to deal with on its shakedown run then man this car is built solid nice job!

Edit: also meant to ask a couple things:
1) what brake master are you using?
2) did you vacuum mold your own side shirt ends? I assume the long lengths are also custom formed? Looks really good.

The black rocker panel side skirts are from an 88 GT-S but the ends were custom, as shown on page 3 or 4 I think. I've heard vacuum molding is uber expensive but if I did the first thing would be to make a one piece front bumper... currently running the stock 165 master but considering switching to the 91 ls400 which I've heard increases size from 15/16 to 1 &1/16... haven't tried yet though... hoping next time out with no braking issues I'll have a better understanding of how they function. And whether pressure or modulation is the issue...

88st165

I think vacuum forming a piece that large would be very expensive as you said, let alone at low volume. That would be pretty awesome if you could figure out a cost effective solution. I can imagine in wheel to wheel racing spares are a must.

I was also planning on running the ls400 master as I have upgraded fronts and 205 rear brakes but I have yet to try it out on the stock master since I'm in the middle of an engine swap. I am curious of your feedback on pedal feel. Thanks for sharing.

I have plenty of build pics and updated components to add to this thread but time is limited. I do have two videos though...

https://www.scca.com/videos/2029784 This is the SCCA live broadcast. If you cant bare to watch the whole thing I get some good coverage at about the 17 & 30 minute marks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwTQqKxBzOY This is the in-car video from the same RunOffs championship race.

And unfortunately the front hubs/bearings failed again that weekend, twice! The second time being during the race. I started losing the brake pedal gradually and had to finish the last two laps with the handbrake... but finishing is what counts!

Attachments

• 165 WGI BOUND.jpeg
    165 WGI BOUND.jpeg
    366.1 KB · Views: 2,218

88st165

My buddy Jason said he spoke to you at the run offs. He texted me a picture of your car in the pits, small world. Do you know why you are blowing through front wheel bearings? Is it heat killings them?

MWP

:doh: that pedal cam... you must have had a few scares in the past with pad knock-off to be checking it that often.
Though i guess after a while it becomes 2nd nature.

It would be great to find an alternative front upright that takes a larger bearing.

2010 and up Prius front uprights... Still 5x100 and hub centric but much larger bearing which is bolt on, so track servicing is much simpler... Plus the inner races are actually machined into the hub snout OD, which itself is much beefier and splined straight through, being a 26 count spline matches our axles...

received_10211182464506957.jpegreceived_10211183929223574.jpegreceived_10211182465026970.jpeg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

And yes. I've had a few scares... Having the brake pedal go to the floor at 100+ mph will make you very cautious. After both failures at the RunOffs I could literally grab the L/F wheel and shake it back and forth a good 2-3 inches while the car was still on the ground...

Here's the first failure... Notice the rotor deflected so bad it cut through the ball joint! The OEM bearings and hubs can't handle the load of 245 Hoosiers at a constant 10/10th's

received_10207215198082124.jpeg

MWP

eric thompson":2dillfe9 said:
2010 and up Prius front uprights... Still 5x100 and hub centric but much larger bearing which is bolt on, so track servicing is much simpler... Plus the inner races are actually machined into the hub snout OD, which itself is much beefier and splined straight through, being a 26 count spline matches our axles...

:shock: Nice find!
So youve tried these, or are planning to do so?

They are on, some modifications needed, and will be tested as soon as possible, weathering permitting... Overall geometry seems to have improved... But the real proof will be on track.