Am I basically pooched( inner cv broken flush on front right

Boosted185

I bought a dirt cheap jdm st185 and kinda figured it would be kinda a project car and was expecting it to be more money than what the hell do I do with this. The front right inner cv was gone and I bought a new axle for it . problem is owner before hit a speed bump to hard and broke the part the axle you can buy bolts on to ( part that slides into the Tranny) the old cv basically fell out when I removed it from the wheel hub lol. Few people recommended a gear puller but I'm unable to grab onto the shaft of it and the place where my car is located doesn't have a 20V out let for a welder, I don't wanna have to drop the transmission/engine if I don't need to either can anyone please help with tip or advice!( I already have another OEM Part that slides into trans) it's also my first car so I really want to be able to get it on the road and plan to keep this car for a long time as a daily

underscore

What those guys said. You might need to get creative to keep it from spinning while you try to drill it.

FC Zach

Worse case scenario, could it be knocked out from the other side (obviously after removing that shaft assembly) using a punch. .

Boosted185

I can drill into the old shaft but how am I supposed to pull it out or would I have to remove that side of the transmission

underscore

Drill into it, then tap it. That'll let you bolt a puller or a slide hammer to it. You'll have to figure out what size you need to drill and tap for first obviously.

FC Zach":3i6i2qhp said:
Worse case scenario, could it be knocked out from the other side (obviously after removing that shaft assembly) using a punch. .

That's probably the easiest way to do it, I didn't realize you could see right through with the CVs out.

FC Zach

underscore":2mh6i80g said:
FC Zach":2mh6i80g said:

That's probably the easiest way to do it, I didn't realize you could see right through with the CVs out.

Not positive it can be done. . I recall hearing that as an option in the past.

Boosted185

So get a slide hammer with say a 1/4 or so thread on the end drill and hole tap it, thread the slide hammer in and it should work

clayton351

I would think that the axle would be pretty hard, probably pretty hard to tap. I will look at my spare trans tomorrow and see if you can go all the way through

FC Zach

clayton351":34yw2ais said:
I would think that the axle would be pretty hard, probably pretty hard to tap. I will look at my spare trans tomorrow and see if you can go all the way through

If it's an option, that's how I would do it. As well as using an air chisel to make overcoming the snap-ring detent child's play, sometimes that bastard gets the best of me.

athousandleaves

Maybe try a shopvac on the broken side and then pull the other axle out to let the air rush in once you've built up enough suction?
It might slide the nub out just far enough for you to get something on it and tug. You could just end up sucking fluid out the hole though... cap the vent on the top too.

Drilling and tapping it is likely the only way you're going to get it out, however be really cautious as to where any of those metal shavings end up!