Limp mode tow?

Ryan

could I tow my car on a tow dolly if I put it in fwd limp mode or removing the driveshaft?

Nobody

Tsrm Does not recomend dolly on front wheels only. Would want to put a dolly on the rear and crane the front up.

If you leave the rears on the ground the front wheels need to spin freely otherwise the drivetrain could heat up and burn out.

Tsrm shows tow strap is OK too. As long as the front's and rears are turning together should be ok. Car in neutral and parking brake off.

Took a screenshot of the page in the tsrm but I'm not seeing a way to upload it.

MWP

Nobody":2cq423fo said:
Tsrm Does not recomend dolly on front wheels only. Would want to put a dolly on the rear and crane the front up.
If you leave the rears on the ground the front wheels need to spin freely otherwise the drivetrain could heat up and burn out.
Tsrm shows tow strap is OK too. As long as the front's and rears are turning together should be ok. Car in neutral and parking brake off.

That sounds like the TSRM for a ST205.
The ST185's have the FWD selection lever on the gearbox for exactly this purpose.

FC Zach

MWP":eqkh4n8n said:
Nobody":eqkh4n8n said:

The ST185's have the FWD selection lever on the gearbox for exactly this purpose.

It does explain this and show pictured examples of proper towing methods for a 185 in my manual, it never said anything about switching the lever.

I may have overlooked that, I'll have to check to see if that's an option next time I'm in the book.

88_ST165

Ryan":gcm2f0ql said:
could I tow my car on a tow dolly if I put it in fwd limp mode or removing the driveshaft?

Yes you can, IF you disconnect the driveshaft at the rear diff, and make SURE you're using a dolly that is supporting front wheels IE: no flat tow (front wheels turning).

You wont have to adjust the AWD/FWD mode selector.

underscore

If you use the selector I believe you need to tow it with the front wheels on the ground and the rear wheels in the air, otherwise you'll break things. Make absolutely sure you put the selector in the correct position and put the bolt back in tightly, there's a story of a guy who dyno'd in 2WD mode but didn't put the bolt in, the selector shook out of 2WD mode while on the dyno and things got broken.

MWP

underscore":2zzdbqfh said:
If you use the selector I believe you need to tow it with the front wheels on the ground and the rear wheels in the air, otherwise you'll break things.

What would break?

FC Zach

FC Zach":2odmk3yn said:
MWP":2odmk3yn said:
Nobody":2odmk3yn said:

It does explain this and show pictured examples of proper towing methods for a 185 in my manual, it never said anything about switching the lever.
Hi
I may have overlooked that, I'll have to check to see if that's an option next time I'm in the book.

There are specific instructions in regards to towing, within the manual. I double checked and nothing is mentioned about the use of this selector.

Edit: ". . nothing is mentioned about the use of this selector." Except to leave alone "no special operation necessary".

underscore

MWP":9yxfcgln said:
underscore":9yxfcgln said:
If you use the selector I believe you need to tow it with the front wheels on the ground and the rear wheels in the air, otherwise you'll break things.

What would break?

It's a piece inside the transmission, from memory it's the part that the selector moves to disconnect the rear wheels. It can handle moving a few feet, but if the rear wheels turn at any significant speed it will break.

edit: from here: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=43503&start=30

loudstealthGT-Four":9yxfcgln said:
sleeper":9yxfcgln said:
There is a guy here with a (tjdubble07) who tuned his high hp car in 2wd mode, and if i`m not remembering wrong, he found out that the gearbox would take about 500ft punds before it broke in fwd mode.

HAHA yea just DON'T drive on the road in FWD mode as it only takes a couple minutes for this to happen
IMG_0002-3.jpg

which is this part in the centre diff
Untitled2.png