Bringing a ST185 back from the dead one last time

awdmofo

Finally after weeks of after work wrenching I got the intake manifold out :roll:. looks very dirty in that throttle body inlet area, going to get sparkling clean soon. Now to get back behind the head and remove those stupid Engine stays (don't think I want to put them back on the motor to be honest now, this motor wont be pushed past 250 to the wheels anyways). Tonight is the TVIS removal, T-belt and tensioner and If I have any energy left the head will be removed 8) !

7rPLXuCl.jpg

GytbCScl.jpg

The engine is looking smaller and smaller in there...

g8mm7p4l.jpg

those bracket stays are such a PITA to work around, its possible but not easy :pissed:.

NI3iBBUl.jpg

awdmofo

Finally got those engine stays out of the way and pulled the T-VIS system and gasket it out. Had to disconnect the power steering hose and remove the passenger side engine mount so I could get the timing belt off and get into there to remove the timing belt tensioner. Pushed the belt to the side and realized I need to take the cam gears and cams off before I could remove the head. Don't have the right size wrench to hold the cam in place while I remove the 14mm bolt holding the gears on :roll:. Called it a night. Next time I have 3-4 hours I should be able to remove the gears, cams and the head in the proper order and set everything to the side. I did move the crank pulley to get the engine to TDC, was very shocked to see the all the cylinders were showing the exhaust valves closed except #2. there was a little bit of both valves that shows they were open just slightly. Maybe they are way off adjustment :shrug:.

uTvY5YZl.jpg

3yYYsJul.jpg

XCLhUyTl.jpg

awdmofo

FINALLY!!!! :roll:. got this head off the motor and on the ground for inspection. So as you can see the head gasket is pretty torn up, 2 cylinders look really bad on it. The head itself isn't showing any signs of cracking or other issues. I will possibly take it to a machine shop this week to get a professional opinion and get them to clean it up and test it. The top of cly#2 looks pretty washed with coolant that was dumping into it, however there are no other issues I can see so far with the other pistons. The block on the other had is pretty nasty, the coolant passages are clogged up pretty bad with dried up coolant/oil mixture nastiness :cry: . I don't know if I want to pull the motor and clean it up, replace the bearings and clean the pistons and the cylinder walls, OR my buddies 91 mr2 Turbo is getting swapped to a ST215 motor this coming week and he has a 169K motor with a head gasket that is bad (might not cost me much to buy it from him whole). He had the Timing belt replaced on it already and everything else seems to be in good working order. So now its down to swap out the motor and fix the HG on that one, or rip this 212K motor from my car clean it up and spend $$ on the head work them put it all together and see if she runs. :shrug: :shrug: . Suggestions are appreciated :notworthy: :notworthy:.

7bdoTWYl.jpg

O8kwzd2l.jpg

8Uso0GBl.jpg

E6EizHxl.jpg

awdmofo

YAY, nothing like pulling out a rusty thermostat :doh:

PDmm5Lbl.jpg

Pushed the main wiring harness out of the way and removed the negative bat cables, battery tray, and coolant jug.

O7i1nYrl.jpg

G5bCqxfl.jpg

Soon I will disconnect the PS, A/C compressor, drive shaft/CV's and motor mounts and pull this block already :roll:.

awdmofo

OK been too long since I updated so here goes! Picked up my buddies 91 MR2 engine and trans (selling the trans if anyone needs one for an MR2 or other project car). Got it home and now need to buy an engine stand and cherry picker to lift up the engine to mount to the stand. Working full time and taking a 7.5 week accelerated college course means i don't have near the time i'd love to spend on rebuilding this motor. But that being said this will be the last post for a few weeks as I fly off to Japan land on thurs 8) and come back 9 days later hopefully with some cool JDM stuff.

uSroXg7l.jpg

awdmofo

alltracman78":2yon5xsn said:
Nice dude! Awesome price

Thanks, I also convinced the guy to drop it off at my place with his work truck :notworthy: :notworthy: lol.

I finally got back from Japan trip and have a ton of cool Toyota pics to come! But, this week will be about pushing this car outside to give me room to park my bike and the engine stand so I can crack into the motor. Was thinking of Taking High res pics of ever angle of the engine while its out incase people would need them for references in the future?? You think its worth it?

awdmofo

Last post for a few days, have to finish strong in my COM312 class. Might be able to clean it up and start taking it apart thurs or Friday night :D

UP UP AND AWAY....
dhr9D24l.jpg

Finally its floating
hUTnzexl.jpg

awdmofo

Got a weekend to finally tare into this baby see how much carnage I could find...

turbo, intake manifold and valve cover off
3LfJ64Hl.jpg

x3PW9qtl.jpg

pretty clean upper section of the head...
yKLHh2gl.jpg

Head off!
lqtpVDNl.jpg

blown headgasket
GGqBw1kl.jpg

dirty and clogged oil filter screen
D4BZcB8l.jpg

yvN6ENwl.jpg

and last but not least, a present from my brother in Japan :D :D

OULg5GJl.jpg

awdmofo

Finally getting back into this, want it up and running by the end of the Year. Got a nice present from our Celica brothers in norcal for cheap...

UvOp9yFl.jpg

Got the head off to a machine shop to be cleaned and rebuilt with new seals, once I get the oil pump and crank out the block will get measured and I'll see if I can clean up and reuse the stock pistons or i I need new brian crower forged ones...

ghBTcvjl.jpg

qVVtTQdl.jpg

ST185l

Good evening, I apologize for my English, I use the google translator

I am doing something similar to what you are doing.

How did you get the cylinder head?

In order to remove the injection ramp I have to remove the wiring (otherwise I can not remove it), and how did you remove the intake manifold? Has two supports below which I can not access and several iron pipes hooked ...

Thank you!!!

awdmofo

ST185I what do you mean "get the cylinder head?"

I assume you mean how did I get it off? if that is your question I very much recommend pulling the whole motor and trans out of the car to do this work.

The two intake "manifold stays" are a pain to get at from the top, you can do it but you need to access the two lower bolts from under the car. Again I recommend pulling the whole engine/trans out of the car to do this work, took me 2 days in actual time to take apart an engine that was out of the car, and took me about 2 months to remove the head/turbo/ fuel system ect with the engine in the car.

awdmofo

So the block I have has been honed out once before and the shop wants me to bring them the block in my car now. I think its the original block with no rebuild so i removed the axles and suspension, pushed the brakes to the side, removed the subframe and lowered the engine/trans out from underneath.

CB8jOoll.jpg

kwJXhQxl.jpg

e474gmwl.jpg

awdmofo

Il_Barone":nf0afwxm said:
Great job

Thanks, more to come. Just moved and now have half of a garage to build the engine and transmission. First suspension and brakes are going to need a few upgrades. rebuild the rack, and clean out the engine bay before I get ready to drop in the engine. Much more pics to come.

Il_Barone

awdmofo":2993fd36 said:
Il_Barone":2993fd36 said:
Great job

Thanks, more to come. Just moved and now have half of a garage to build the engine and transmission. First suspension and brakes are going to need a few upgrades. rebuild the rack, and clean out the engine bay before I get ready to drop in the engine. Much more pics to come.
I am at the same step.
The gear box was overhauled in 2015.
We have to clean the engine bay too and then drop it in.
Fow now i'll keep the stock coils and brakes, maybe one day i'll do some upgrades :)

awdmofo

Nice, do you have any pics of your build? I really hope that I can get the trans rebuild with better syncros so that it doesn't grind in 3rd under hard acceleration like my last 185 did. Machine shop called! they are going to hone the 185 block to fit my friends aftermarket 0.5mm over board pistons, polish the crank and rebuild the head. So now to find some good quality piston rings, bearings, a new head gasket and head bolts, and find a way to pay for all this :shrug: :shrug: .

Il_Barone

awdmofo":9t9uv91y said:
Nice, do you have any pics of your build? I really hope that I can get the trans rebuild with better syncros so that it doesn't grind in 3rd under hard acceleration like my last 185 did. Machine shop called! they are going to hone the 185 block to fit my friends aftermarket 0.5mm over board pistons, polish the crank and rebuild the head. So now to find some good quality piston rings, bearings, a new head gasket and head bolts, and find a way to pay for all this :shrug: :shrug: .
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=51370 :D