Any experience with Ichiban JDM?

discoinferno218

I am planning on buying an engine and tranny from them and before I do that I was wondering if any of you guys had experience purchasing from them. I have looked around for reviews and only found a couple bad ones, and numerous good ones (mostly from their Facebook page.) Anyone bought anything from these guys before?

Where are you located at? There is J-spec auto here in richmond, va. I work a block away from it and I know they have a few 3sgte motors there, I would have no problem going over and taking a look at the motor trans condition if you were going to buy from them.

msanders2

My brother was going to buy the Mr2 Beams swap they had posted on EBay. Had the motor, harness, Ecu, and mr2 5 speed trans. Called to ask some questions about the motor, (item was still active on eBay at $1339 with free shipping) and they told him it was sold. Also said they had another and said they would send him pictures. 3 days later he finally got the pictures of just a st202 Beams motor, no harness, no ECU, no trans. Told him they would sell it to him for $1200 + shipping. I wouldn't mess with those guys.

discoinferno218

Mr Alltrac":1m9ujctq said:
Where are you located at? There is J-spec auto here in richmond, va. I work a block away from it and I know they have a few 3sgte motors there, I would have no problem going over and taking a look at the motor trans condition if you were going to buy from them.

I am located in Minneapolis, MN. Couldn't find anything local in my area. I'd definitely be interested if you'd be willing. Looking for the complete set up, 3rd gen engine, 5 speed trans, turbo, wiring harness, ecu, ect.

zaluss

I bought from J spec and had it shipped to Washington. Quick shipping and answered all questions.

oIqOlF1l.jpg

Nobody

I got my 205 motor from jspec as well. Zaluss I'm about 99.9% sure you got the one I was looking at initially lol. Ended up getting the next best one they had available. Motor and tranny work practically flawlessly. Only thing that sucked was not getting the map sensor or ignitor. Ad said it came with but wasn't on the motor when it arrived.

zaluss

Nobody":32v7ddcu said:
I got my 205 motor from jspec as well. Zaluss I'm about 99.9% sure you got the one I was looking at initially lol. Ended up getting the next best one they had available. Motor and tranny work practically flawlessly. Only thing that sucked was not getting the map sensor or ignitor. Ad said it came with but wasn't on the motor when it arrived.

Thats funny. Me too. No map sensor or igniter even though it said it came with it.

So I stopped by j spec auto this afternoon, they have 2 st205 motors there. One had a big piece missing out of the top timing belt cover but overall looked pretty well kept. The other one had the st185 a2a intercooler on it for some unknown reason. Jspec thinks they sold the first models in 94 with that option. I've never heard that so I don't know, sounds unlikely tho haha. Both motor/trans were around $1995 complete with full wiring harness and ecu.

discoinferno218

Mr Alltrac":1uxp8ahf said:
So I stopped by j spec auto this afternoon, they have 2 st205 motors there. One had a big piece missing out of the top timing belt cover but overall looked pretty well kept. The other one had the st185 a2a intercooler on it for some unknown reason. Jspec thinks they sold the first models in 94 with that option. I've never heard that so I don't know, sounds unlikely tho haha. Both motor/trans were around $1995 complete with full wiring harness and ecu.

Thanks for checking it out! I think I'm gonna end up going with IchibanJDM, I've been seeing lots of good reviews around the web, and not too many bad ones. Unfortunately every JDM importer has mixrd reviews that I've seen.

Nobody

A friend of mine gave a pretty solid piece of advice when I was shopping for a motor. He said to make sure they have a compression test video of the motor, and that it's getting good consistent compression across all cylinders as close to factory spec as possible. That should give you a good indication that the motor is in great shape.

discoinferno218

Nobody":31q808kf said:
A friend of mine gave a pretty solid piece of advice when I was shopping for a motor. He said to make sure they have a compression test video of the motor, and that it's getting good consistent compression across all cylinders as close to factory spec as possible. That should give you a good indication that the motor is in great shape.
Hmm that is good advice. They did not have a video that I am aware of but they said they got 155+psi.