Replacing ST185 heater core - Anybody done this ?

I still get email notifications so I know I got a PM. Car is long gone, here is what I remember of the assembly. I took it apart with dashpad in car. This involved wiggling the heater core box out which was no biggie on removal but didnt work well when installing. Basically each brass tube going thru the firewall is composed of two pieces clamped together. When I put this back together these connections came loose and leaked. So I had to pull the dashpad to be able to put the heater core box in straight so I didnt knock the brass pipes loose :(. I will look for the pics.

FC Zach

If your pipes are like mine were and beyond repair. . At first you can try repairing the damaged areas like I did but if too far out you may have to get creative with copper pipe and solder. You will have to reuse the ends of these pipes where they connect to the HC. I also replaced the o-rings at these ends.

16220001585_932077dc6c_z.jpg

I recommend pressure testing the assembly too, will save you a lot of headache especially if you still have pin-holes.

16219201422_ebaea6a6e6_z.jpg

FC Zach

The hose ends above are actually a part of a garden hose end repair kit that I used just for the barb fitting. I also recommend a non-hardening o-ring sealant at the pipe connections for the o-rings, I used Hylomar blue. .

lalojamesliz1

FC Zach":38ogxp70 said:
The hose ends above are actually a part of a garden hose end repair kit that I used just for the barb fitting. I also recommend a non-hardening o-ring sealant at the pipe connections for the o-rings, I used Hylomar blue. .

Thank you :D
Was it you that I saw you had your heater core rebuilt?
I think that's the only way to do it correctly besides a new oem unit