Where does the gen3 catch can drain?

lalojamesliz1

Anyone have a picture what part of the gen3 engine the gen3 catch can drain hose connects to? Right now the drain hose is connected to the intake right before the turbo

rrain3288

There's actually three lines going into the Gen 3 catch can one from the valve cover to the can one down from the can to the back side of the engine that is your drain and the other one is the vent tube back to the intake

lalojamesliz1

rrain3288":n76x1g8f said:
There's actually three lines going into the Gen 3 catch can one from the valve cover to the can one down from the can to the back side of the engine that is your drain and the other one is the vent tube back to the intake

Would you happen to know where exactly I connect the drain hose the goes back to the engine?

It's connected to the drain port on the catch can but it's not connected to the back of the engine connection.
If only photobucket was still working like before :x

rrain3288

I sent my engine off to ats or I would take a picture for you i tryed to find a picture online but couldn't.....sorry

lalojamesliz1

rrain3288":26dxqp9h said:
I sent my engine off to ats or I would take a picture for you i tryed to find a picture online but couldn't.....sorry

No worries, thanks anyways :D
After some searching/reading I think I'm just going to run the drain line to a separate container like a cheap aftermarket catch can and run the main outlet hose to the intake like it's supposed to be.
I don't like what I've been seeing online about the oil the catch can separates.

rrain3288

That should work fine but you also have an open hole in the back of your engine sucking in air and possibly spitting out oil that will definitely need to be tracked down and plugged in order to do it that way

lalojamesliz1

rrain3288":3prd56qc said:
That should work fine but you also have an open hole in the back of your engine sucking in air and possibly spitting out oil that will definitely need to be tracked down and plugged in order to do it that way

Very true! I do have a very annoying oil leak I haven't traced down yet. I've only driven my all-trac a few short distances to test everything I've fixed.
Now I really need to find that leak
I still can't believe the PO drove it for almost 20k miles in the condition I bought it from him.
Before I sold it to him it had a optima in the trunk/cargo area that I relocated and he replaced it with a regular flooded battery :nono:
He was running gen3 540cc injectors with the gen2 electronics
Fuel guage unplugged
Electric antenna cable broken and stuck fully extended (he he he)
he had/it has a st205 intercooler but he had the pump wired so it only came on with the engine cooling fan
Engine cooling fan didn't work ( he mainly drove hwy)
And the headlights were pointed super close in front of the car making them useless.
I feel bad for him because all these things made it run like poop and I'm sure he was just sick of it so that's why he gave me a great price. Very very nice guy too. I blame and thank the shop he had the gen3 swap installed at :evil:

FC Zach

lalojamesliz1":o1vl7d41 said:
I still can't believe the PO drove it for almost 20k miles in the condition I bought it from him.
Before I sold it to him it had a optima in the trunk/cargo area that I relocated and he replaced it with a regular flooded battery :nono:

My car was the same way! the battery wasn't even strapped down or secured in any way and to make matters worse the PO used small ~8 gauge wire going to the starter/alternator connection that was spliced with a bolt and two washers! :twisted:

I cant make this stuff up!
37044821786_c72684d2db_z.jpg

lalojamesliz1

FC Zach":b44fpdef said:
lalojamesliz1":b44fpdef said:

My car was the same way! the battery wasn't even strapped down or secured in any way and to make matters worse the PO used small ~8 gauge wire going to the starter/alternator connection that was spliced with a bolt and two washers! :twisted:

I cant make this stuff up!
37044821786_c72684d2db_z.jpg

Can you say fire hazzard :doh:

underscore

That bolt/washer contraption is a thing of beauty. That reminds me of the trunk "relocation" done to the battery in my friends car, the ground was connected using a small self-tapping screw into the thin sheet metal of the inner fender. The paint wasn't even scraped off.

lalojamesliz1

Well I bought a gen3 swap for its transmission and remembered about this issue I had. The gen3 catch can drains into a hose nipple right below the intake manifold bolt closest to the distributor. Just incase anyone else wanted to know :D

lalojamesliz1

underscore":3i5lleof said:
Where does it go from there? Out into open air?
It goes back into the engine from what it looks like. The large hole to the upper left is for the distributor

Attachments

• rps20190519_010322.jpg
    rps20190519_010322.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 2,065