MWP's wannabe Tarmac Rally 5S-GTE ST185 (racing!)

MWP

I dont run either.
I cant run both as the caldina cover doesnt match up with the lower 5S cover.
Running just the lower 5S cover would turn it into a scoop and trap more than it would help to keep things out.

MWP

So as mentioned in another thread, ive now solidly mounted my diff in the rear subframe.
Ive also filled the subframe with a 2 pack expanding high-density foam. Hopefully itll help with the noise a little.

IMG_20160213_162201.jpg

While the sub frame was out, i thought it would be a good idea to drop the fuel tank and install the Walbro 400lph pump ive had sitting in a box for a few months.

So who said E85 corrodes fuel tanks?
Its had E85 in it for 5yrs now... looks like new :)
IMG_20160213_163243.jpg

Walbro 255lph vs new 400lph. Almost physically the same size.
IMG_20160213_163540.jpg

Ready to go back in.
IMG_20160213_174644.jpg

Could do with a good steam clean :p
IMG_20160213_184657.jpg

MWP

Small update... :rofl:

New Bilstein 46mm UMS, Prius front hub, new 205 caliper brackets, shorter tie rods, and DIY lower control arms.
It was a HUUUUUGE job. Months of planning, and two weeks (~6hrs/day) worth of doing.
I did all the design, CAD, and steel fab work. Bilstein blank tops were machined & prepped by a local guy.
Was finished midnight on thursday, test driven for 1hr fri morning, then on a trailer for the 6hr drive to compete in a Hillclimb on Sat morning :twisted:

IMG_20171024_110058.jpg

IMG_20171024_105743.jpg

IMG_20171024_163922.jpg

IMG_20171106_201244.jpg

IMG_20171108_204537.jpg

IMG_20171109_141212.jpg

IMG_20171110_090919.jpg

MWP

Then went and raced it at the hillclimb.
I hadn't driven the car in 9 months, and with the new suspension too i went easy(ish) on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq9M4qVwm9I

The car did 16 runs over the two days.
New suspension worked great :D

Missed the last couple of runs of the hillclimb though due to this:

IMG_20171118_130706.jpg

Spare rear diff is in the car now though.
Aiming to enter another hillclimb in 2 weeks time.

ZeroDrift

Good work on the suspension! That is certainly a great deal of work to engineer and spec something together like that.

Out of curiosity- do those prius hubs have the same mounting points/dimensions for the brakes?

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

MWP

Thanks.

Oh, and i now have 5.5deg of caster. Feels good so far.

Nope, mounting points on the prius hubs are way off.

CMS-GT4

Nice work on the arms. I'm glad more are doing the prius hubs. Interesting way of handling the mounting points and allowing for adjustment. Are there any class rules to consider for the mounting points? I know here the SCCA is pretty stringent on the mounting points of the LCA.

MWP

Well what ive done might be ok as the mounting point locations have not changed at all.
Just the type of mounting has changed.

MWP

Steering response is amazing.
The Bilsteins have a lot more slow speed compression damping than the old Koni's, so that plus the rod-ends and electric power steering makes it feel like a go-kart.
Turn the wheel and it darts over. No body roll, etc delays.

Front end is probably now a bit too firm, so i'll look into softer springs in the future.
I need to do more suspension analysis first to work out how much travel im using, if im using the bump stops, etc.

diceman

Nice, I've been toying with the Bilstein UMS for a couple of years but it's not easily available in the UK.

Did you have them revalved or are you running an off the shelf damping rate? As much as I tried I couldn't find out if they are digressive valved or linear on these.

MWP

Bilstein stopped making the 46mm UMS about 1yr ago. They only make the 36mm's now for some reason.
I was lucky enough to find someone with two of the 46's left. Hopefully getting these now doesnt bite me in the ass when i need to get a service kit or something for them.

I had a 420-140D digressive valving put in mine.
I'm not sure how close to optimal it is yet. I really need to instrument them up with some linear travel motion sensors.

Junctrac

Awesome job, its great to see custom work done to update these cars. Do you have any pics of how you adapted the prius ball joint to work with the uniball lower?

Also any details on how the blank stem was machined to fit your top hat? Im assuming the rod has to be completely disassembled, how was it mounted in lathe to avoid damaging the chrome plating on shaft? Thanks.

MWP

Junctrac":1y3z2fx1 said:
Awesome job, its great to see custom work done to update these cars. Do you have any pics of how you adapted the prius ball joint to work with the uniball lower?

The tapered hole in the prius upright was drilled out to 3/4in, then I used a grade 8.8 3/4in bolt, and a few rod end spacers.

Also any details on how the blank stem was machined to fit your top hat? Im assuming the rod has to be completely disassembled, how was it mounted in lathe to avoid damaging the chrome plating on shaft? Thanks.

The Bilsteins came disassembled.
The blank stem was turned down to 3/4in to match the strut top bearing, then had a 3/4in UNF thread turned on the upper half of it.
I'm not sure on the details of how the machinist mounted it in the lathe.

CMS-GT4":1y3z2fx1 said:
Are you not running the front roll bar? If not, what changes have you noticed?

I am. Stock roll bar in the front, Whiteline in the rear.

ST185l

A great job
What model / year is the Prius?
What advantages do you get with the prius piece, is it to arrive and mount or do you have to make adaptations?
I really like the suspension. I would have more pictures of her process
What are shorter braces and what are the advantages

Thank you, congratulations for your car