Steering Rack Removal

Aaron

I've got the whole thing unbolted and freed up, but I can't for the life of me figure out how the F to snake it through the passenger side tie rod hole as the manual states. It seems easier to go through the LH side, but then the rack's gear housing hits the fuel line and won't fit through the hole. I've spent hours and hours trying to get it between the LH mounting stud/engine block, and underneath the transmission control cables, but it just keeps hitting one thing or another and I have made zero progress since getting it unbolted. Please help. :bangshead: :crazy: :twisted:

Aaron":154aukfn said:
I've got the whole thing unbolted and freed up, but I can't for the life of me figure out how the F to snake it through the passenger side tie rod hole as the manual states. It seems easier to go through the LH side, but then the rack's gear housing hits the fuel line and won't fit through the hole. I've spent hours and hours trying to get it between the LH mounting stud/engine block, and underneath the transmission control cables, but it just keeps hitting one thing or another and I have made zero progress since getting it unbolted. Please help. :bangshead: :crazy: :twisted:
It's been many months since you posted - were you successful getting the steering rack removed? Did you get the new/rebuilt unit back in successfully?