Necessary to install AFR Gauge?

Selsvik

I have recently installed boost controller and boost gauge on my ST185.
But a friend of mine told me that i have to install AFR Gauge before i turn up my boost...
Is that necessary since i will adjust the boost right below the fuel cut? (which is what?)

i get it if i get a fuel cut defender or do any more power upgrades with it, but since im going to boost it up just i littlebit, do i really need it?

underscore

It's never a bad thing to have, especially in an older car where a component could fail causing the engine to run lean. I've got the Innovate SCG-1, it's a boost controller, boost gauge, and wideband AFR all in one. If it detects a lean condition it'll cut boost immediately, to me that made it much more useful since you can't sit there staring at gauges all the time or you'll crash.

819_ay

Like Underscore said, it's not a bad thing! Just another way to monitor the engine, to make sure it doesn't go boom! I have the aem one! It's just an afr gauge but does work great

Selsvik

ok, have a couple of questions :)
1. When do i actually need to upgrade fuel injection?
2. And what if i upgrade fuel injection when its not needed, will it run rich? or will it just adjust down the fuel itself?

3. And im guessing that when i upgrade fuel injection i can turn up my boost(even though its save up to 14-15psi)
or do i have to do some engine "modification"?

i am not a mechanic, so taking out the engine and change it all to performance parts to achieve 4-500hp+ is not an option, but would like to reach 300hp+ :) advise from someone a little more experienced? :)))

Selsvik

ok, if i need that AFR Gauge as well as Boost Gauge, where is the best(good looking) place to put it?

underscore

These cars run pretty rich as-is, so you shouldn't need to upgrade anything else (just make sure the whole fuel system is in good working order) to up the boost. You won't hit 300hp just increasing the boost on an otherwise stock motor though.

Selsvik

yeah, i know. so thats why i have been thinking of upgrading to the CT27 Turbo and a 2,5" downpipe, and maybe some more upgrades later if needed.