St185 full rebuild

Bempa

Wow this is proper rebuild. Why did you choose to go with polyurethan bushings? Are you going to track the car or is rubber bushings no longer avaible?

You did some great work with the chassi and body [emoji106]

Skickat från min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

chriss402

I went with the polyurethane bushings because the rubber ones were rotten or compressed and are not available as replacement parts either. Toyota expected you to change the actual part as the rubber is bonded into the part . So I used a torch to burn out the old rubber bushings prior to sandblasting and painting and then pressed in the new polyurethane ones .
The heat here also destroys rubber a lot faster than in colder climates .

chriss402

Sorry forgot to answer your question regarding if it will be a track car. No way ! Lol not after all that sweat, blood and cut knuckles. Especially after searching for parts from all over the globe and countless web sites. It showed me that these cars are becoming less and less available. So I want the car to look and do the part but it’s going to be my weekend baby car. I always wanted a car for myself that I could baby and polish. I’ve built a lot of cars/ vehicles for other people and had nothing nice for myself .

chriss402

I wanted to do something different with the car rather than just a stock rebuild. I'm going to make it a wide body version. Currently it is the Carlos Sainz factory version wide body, but I wanted something EXTRA wide, similar to the Rocket Bunny kits. So I ordered some 18" wheels that are 12" wide .

Attachments

• 18 inch wheels by 12 inches wide.jpeg
    18 inch wheels by 12 inches wide.jpeg
    382.4 KB · Views: 1,612
  • Wheels installed on rear 1.jpeg
    Wheels installed on rear 1.jpeg
    305.1 KB · Views: 1,612
  • Wheels installed on rear 2.jpeg
    Wheels installed on rear 2.jpeg
    296.1 KB · Views: 1,612

chriss402

The problem with using wheels so wide is the clearance. I'm going to have to do some surgery on the Aprons for the wheels to be able to complete a full steering arc. Unfortunately that means the welding and painting is not complete. But I couldn't cross this bridge until I was going back up and the suspension was installed, steering rack installed etc.

Attachments

• Area needing to be cut for clearance.jpeg
    Area needing to be cut for clearance.jpeg
    375.7 KB · Views: 1,977

chriss402

Here's the wheels installed on the rear.

Attachments

• Wheels installed on rear 1.jpeg
    Wheels installed on rear 1.jpeg
    305.1 KB · Views: 1,976
  • Wheels installed on rear 2.jpeg
    Wheels installed on rear 2.jpeg
    296.1 KB · Views: 1,976
  • Wheels installed on rear 3.jpeg
    Wheels installed on rear 3.jpeg
    229.2 KB · Views: 1,976

chriss402

After I sort out the clearance issues I'll have to build a custom body kit for it. Looking to copy something similar to this BRZ kits fenders.

Attachments

• BRZ kit.jpg
    BRZ kit.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 1,976

chriss402

Well guys this will be the last set of pics I have to upload. That would have been a year and a half worth of work in those pics. My real job :) has me pretty busy right now, so I may not be able to get any further with the car until after another three months or so fingers crossed. ( Need to make some $$ for the car :roll ) I need to get some parts ordered anyways and that takes a couple of weeks with shipping etc.. I haven't been sending anything via air unless it was small or no other shipping option. To ship to Barbados via air is hot money!! I'm trying to keep costs down.
The part I'm in most need of right now is a new or rebuilt steering rack, right hand drive. The last one looked kind of tired and I'm worried after installation it dies or starts to leak. If any of you guys know where or how I would appreciate you steering me in that direction.

chriss402

Here's some pics of the exhaust I recently got from Australia. It was the only place I could source it from that the people were willing to ship to me. But they only wanted to ship via air so I had no choice. Plus it was a serious back order, so I had to wait three months to get it ! But was so happy when it arrived !! like jewelry. The exhaust is an HKS.

Attachments

• HKS exhaust 1.jpeg
    HKS exhaust 1.jpeg
    217.2 KB · Views: 1,949
  • HKS exhaust 2.jpeg
    HKS exhaust 2.jpeg
    359.7 KB · Views: 1,949
  • HKS exhaust 3.jpeg
    HKS exhaust 3.jpeg
    385.4 KB · Views: 1,949

FC Zach

I had a random thought when I was seeing this all come together (literally) and that was: Did you remove and weld the stamped chassis number from the original to the replacement firewall? I'm sure no one would ever notice, just a curious thought.

Great job on everything! I look forward to seeing more progress.

FC Zach

chriss402":24y9t64f said:
Poly bushings
file.php

You forgot the cupped washers between the nut and bushing on the rears. . . at least I believe there is supposed to be some there.

40460360853_69cda79c2c.jpg

chriss402

Yes I had to cut out the original chassis number and weld it on to the donor clip. I have all the documentation showing what happened and what was purchased from who, so I was never concerned about that. There would only be an issue if the car was a stolen.

Yes the dimpled washer is not installed on the rear sub frame in that pic. It was either being sand blasted and painted at that point or I was mocking everything up to check fitment. But damn you're good !! don't know how many other people would have picked up on that .

FC Zach

chriss402":2o0j2ahw said:
Yes the dimpled washer is not installed on the rear sub frame in that pic. It was either being sand blasted and painted at that point or I was mocking everything up to check fitment. But damn you're good !! don't know how many other people would have picked up on that .

Ha Ha, I'm very observant :)

underscore

This is an epic build! For the steering rack I believe there's threads around here mentioning that a RHD AE92 rack will fit and has a shorter ratio, I was never able to confirm exactly which model of AE92 to get one from though.

chriss402

Thanks that's some useful info. The AE92's came as Corollas, Truenos and Levins. We have all three types here on island, I shall head to the wrecking yard this weekend with the Celica rack and see how it matches up.