Filling the Transmission with oil.

Find out what's happening

Filling the Transmission with oil.

Postby freddie » Tue May 14, 2019 12:31 am

I need to fill my 165 transmission with oil, but for the life of me, I cannot find in the owners hand book or the
manual where do you fill it? There is a removable plug on the front of the transmission with the inscription
"See manual before removing" Is that it? Or do you remove the top vent plug?

The big book tells me how much oil is needed but not where to put it. Could somebody help me out here please.

By the way I agree with Sefiroxx's post. But a cross reference of parts from other Toyota models that are in common
with our cars would be handy. Like some Camry parts are the same, Landcruiers Turbo's, Some Tarargo suspension bushes
are the same, many alternators are the same (just different plugs) and so on.

Cheers
I
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
freddie
Club Member

Re: Filling the Transmission with oil.

Postby 80's Kid » Tue May 14, 2019 1:50 am

For the ST185, it's on the underside of the car. There is a plug that you unscrew, just make sure you have a pan ready to catch it. I'm not sure if it would be any different on yours. My Celica took around 5 liters of oil by the way.
80's Kid
Club Member

1991 Toyota Celica

Re: Filling the Transmission with oil.

Postby FC Zach » Tue May 14, 2019 3:49 am

freddie wrote:There is a removable plug on the front of the transmission with the inscription
"See manual before removing" Is that it?

That's it, remove that and fill from there (with the car level) until oil drips from the hole.

freddie wrote:Or do you remove the top vent plug?

Alternatively, you could fill from another location but you need to remove the "fill" plug in order to add the correct amount so you may as well fill from there, unless it's easier to access the top.
1992 Toyota Celica AllTrac
1993 Yamaha GTS1000
1987 Mazda RX7 Sport
1979 Yamaha G1A, rotary powered with Sachs KM24
FC Zach
Established Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Return to Forum News