Accusump for pre-oiling on startup?

EvilStig

My car is going to often sit weeks at a time between running and I'm concerned about excessive dry start-up wear on the engine (250k miles...) I'm wondering what the best solution for this might be. One idea I've had is a fuel pump cutoff switch, which could double as an anti-theft immobilizer, and turning the engine over for several seconds before starting it. The other is an accusump accumulator which would discharge prior to startup, although I'm unsure of the logistics of even installing such a system considering just how jam packed this already overly-complicated engine bay is... has anyuone here installed one, or have any advice on this front? thanks.

lalojamesliz1

EvilStig":3fke9eh5 said:
My car is going to often sit weeks at a time between running and I'm concerned about excessive dry start-up wear on the engine (250k miles...) I'm wondering what the best solution for this might be. One idea I've had is a fuel pump cutoff switch, which could double as an anti-theft immobilizer, and turning the engine over for several seconds before starting it. The other is an accusump accumulator which would discharge prior to startup, although I'm unsure of the logistics of even installing such a system considering just how jam packed this already overly-complicated engine bay is... has anyuone here installed one, or have any advice on this front? thanks.

What about some kind of oil additive like Lucas or something else so the oil can stay on the parts longer? Cam something like that work? I don't know for sure but I would just look into that

EvilStig

lalojamesliz1":myvjyg2h said:
What about some kind of oil additive like Lucas or something else so the oil can stay on the parts longer? Cam something like that work? I don't know for sure but I would just look into that

I would be extremely wary of using an oil additive like that in a turbo of this vintage. But even so it's not going to keep everything slick forever.

sMARTINside

Usually, after storage, before I start the engine, I disconnect the ECU connector that has the injector outputs on it (because the injectors are hard to get to, behind the intercooler) and make the engine turn until the oil pressure light turns off and hold the key on start a couple seconds. Then I know there is oil all over the engine and that it wasn't cranking too fast without oil pressure. I only do this if the Celica was not running for a long time.

An Accu-sump is great for race applications: Usually the accumulator is installed in the cabin in the place of the passenger seat. There is an electric valve on the oil exit, to control the oil flow in and out of the accumulator. When you stop the car, the valve shuts and keeps the oil pressure in the accumulator. To pre-oil the engine the trick is to open this valve (electrically with a switch) just before you start the engine until there is oil pressure in the engine (a couple seconds) and then start the engine. This could be done automatically with a timer. The big thing is that if it's a passenger car, like you said, there is not much space under the bonnet to fit the accumulator...