Seeking Timing Belt Info/Knowledge! (St165)

Distant_Midnite

Hey all Trac’s.

I looked for any thread discussing the fitment of timing belts in the various models and years that extend to our st165/185/205’s so that I could have a better edge for my confidence in buying a timing belt kit.

I own an 88 st165 which is my daily. It’s at 125k and from what I have learned the timing belt/components were not replaced, so I am starting to look for the stuff I need. What I have found is a small market of timing kits, some of which I am unsure about. This is due mostly because I read about some problems with fitment for some people. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to seek out parts that have seemed to get the job done? Is 1986-1999+ fitment a real thing for a timing belt kit? It just seemed a little weird that all those generations and engine types would revive the same kit. One thing I did dig up was that there is still an OEM timing belt that can be bought under part #13568-79305.

Anyways some guidance would be so appreciated from some of the pros on here. Thanks very much for the time.

-S

underscore

From my understanding the 165 and 185 are interchangeable, but the 205 has an extra tooth on the belt due to a slightly different gear on the oil pump or water pump or something.

Magroo

Distant_Midnite":y89yzm9x said:
What I would like to know is if the 3SFE timing belts would fit the 3SGTE all the same?

Won't work. 3sfe is a single external cam gear that drives 2 cams.

A 3sge timing belt will work from a first gen. In the states we never got the 2nd gen 3sge.

Honestly I would just pick up something like this. https://www.ebay.com/itm/91-95-Toyota-C ... 1387099037

Edit: only difference I can find is in the tensioner and tensioner pulley. Wont work on first gen. Everything else from a 2nd gen will work it seems.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toy ... ed,1274037
Rock auto is a good sourge for checking parts.

Distant_Midnite":36ujc9rq said:
Hey all Trac’s.

I looked for any thread discussing the fitment of timing belts in the various models and years that extend to our st165/185/205’s so that I could have a better edge for my confidence in buying a timing belt kit.

I own an 88 st165 which is my daily. It’s at 125k and from what I have learned the timing belt/components were not replaced, so I am starting to look for the stuff I need. What I have found is a small market of timing kits, some of which I am unsure about. This is due mostly because I read about some problems with fitment for some people. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to seek out parts that have seemed to get the job done? Is 1986-1999+ fitment a real thing for a timing belt kit? It just seemed a little weird that all those generations and engine types would revive the same kit. One thing I did dig up was that there is still an OEM timing belt that can be bought under part #13568-79305.

Anyways some guidance would be so appreciated from some of the pros on here. Thanks very much for the time.

-S

I’m confused what you really want. If just the timing belt, and if you already have the OEM P/N, what else do you need? If you are looking for a kit, how far do you want to go? I would replace both the tensioner pulley and tensioner assembly, the idler pulley, both camshaft oil seals, and the crankshaft oil seal, at a minimum. If you valve cover is also leaking, good time to replace that as well. A couple years ago, all those parts were still available through Toyota.

Distant_Midnite

93celicaconv":chd7cg5r said:
Distant_Midnite":chd7cg5r said:
Hey all Trac’s.

-S

I’m confused what you really want. If just the timing belt, and if you already have the OEM P/N, what else do you need? If you are looking for a kit, how far do you want to go? I would replace both the tensioner pulley and tensioner assembly, the idler pulley, both camshaft oil seals, and the crankshaft oil seal, at a minimum. If you valve cover is also leaking, good time to replace that as well. A couple years ago, all those parts were still available through Toyota.

Sorry I thought I clearly stated up there that I was interested in information on kit fitment specific to the st165 but also to other alltracs/ Toyota’s as I have heard they can be cross applied in different ways. I’m aware of the tooth differences of the 205. But I had no idea that Toyota stocked parts for the 1st gen 3SGTE components still. When I read that I called up a local place and they confirmed that it is still something that can be done through them. So that knowledge has helped me out a lot. Everything I scoured the net about the st165 belt kit let me to believe that only the belt was still something that you could get. Guess I will be forking over the crazy cost for OEM for personal comfort. Thanks for the heads up dude.