Upgrading to CT20b turbo

Selsvik

Hi, i was wondering about upgrading to a used CT20b turbo instead of the stock CT26 Turbo.
but i have a few questions since i know very little about this...

Is this a bolt on turbo that i will need no else modifications?
Do i have to change the exhaust manifold or downpipe?

dou you recommend changing the whole exhaust system if so? i have found a cheap exhaust system on ebay if it
works() :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Celica- ... %7Ciid%3A1

or is there any better exhaust system that isn't so expensive like the HKS silent exhaust?

And do the stock oil hoses and other hoses on the turbo fit the ct20b ?

Punknoodle

Hi Selsvik,

It is kind of bolt on. The turbo mates up to the manifold and dump pipe and the outlet I believe is also in the same place. You can use all your old oil and water lines. However, the gen 2 bracket that holds the turbo does not fit and requires modification (welding an extension to it then drilling a hole in the correct place for the turbo thread) and the heat shield also needs a hole drilled in a new place..

I actually have a CT20B that I've just removed from my racecar - it has the following modifications:
- High flowed wastegate ports (stock ports are undersized and will overboost with a 3" exhaust)
- Clocked the compressor housing, complete with new bracket to hold new Turbosmart IWG75 dual port actuator
- Elbow welded on to outlet so that connection is easier and it clears the clutch slave
- Modified Gen 2 turbo bracket (extension welded to it then drilled) to match up to the turbo
- Ceramic Coated (high temp black) turbine housing
- Repainted (silver) compressor housing

Photos:
https://flic.kr/p/2cwhgtJ
https://flic.kr/p/2cAK8EP

So if you are interested in a CT20B and want to run a front mount intercooler (hence the clocked housing), mine has all the work done already to just bolt on. I'm in Australia though so shipping would likely be a bit of a killer.

Selsvik

Thanks for answer! :)
Just for curiosity, how much do you want for the turbo?
Maybe in the future i will be ready for such mods like front mount intercooler and that stuff, but i think for now, i want most bolt on, since i use this as a daily and cant make it as a project car just yet. And since i have little knowledge of this(but i have to start somewhere) :p

I have a boost controller that i am planning to install soon, thats a start ;)

awdmofo

I'm upgrading my 90 ST-185 with the stock engine to a CT20B as we speak. It came with a coolant line and a bracket that I believe holds it to the block. But, it doesn't come with the oil line (cleaned up my stock one and will use that) and not wastegate. Can I use the ct26 WG and the bracket it came with or is there any other mods it needs? Also, I noticed there is an extra hole for where the exhaust side mounts to the downpipe. Should I just ignore that? Thanks for any help.

alltracshoak

awdmofo":2hysmbrj said:
Also, I noticed there is an extra hole for where the exhaust side mounts to the downpipe. Should I just ignore that? Thanks for any help.
Any st185 CT series DP should work.. ignore the extra stud off the ct20b..

awdmofo

alltracshoak":12q4a06m said:
Ct26... ct20b... I think mr2s are a bit shorter or longer..forgot.

:roll: ohh CT series turbos I gotcha. I can use the wastegate from the CT26 on my CT20b right?