Speedometer

bigrob8134

Having issues with my speedometer not working. I replaced the sensor on the transmission and still not working. I have a 91 gtfour st185. If anyone can please let me know what else can I check or might be the problem. Thank you

FC Zach

When I had an issue with my speedo, I found that my key had one of its stamped ends sheared off and a broke driven gear (the keyed end of the gear's shaft broke). . . this chain reaction was because of a failed cable adapter, which appears to have been caused by bearings.

If I were you, I'd check the cable adapter before replacing anything (or you'll be doing the repair again). Here's the thread where I shared my findings. .

https://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=52749&p=485078#p485078

FC Zach

bigrob8134":1alwhmgd said:
Does it make a difference or matter that I have a gtfour rc .

Regardless of the model/trim, I believe they all have the cable adapter. . cruise control is a different story, some don't have that (correct?) and I assume you might since you mentioned replacing the sensor. The sensor wouldn't have anything to do with your speedometer not working (IIRC).

I would check all the mechanical parts first.

underscore":1alwhmgd said:
How do the capacitors on the back of the speedo look?

Are you thinking of tach? Depending on the year, I think the speedo has caps on it but this wouldn't prevent the gauge from working would it? Either way, here's a good write-up on getting access to your gauges to make this type of repair.

https://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=48848

underscore

FC Zach":no0xn146 said:
underscore":no0xn146 said:
How do the capacitors on the back of the speedo look?

Are you thinking of tach? Depending on the year, I think the speedo has caps on it but this wouldn't prevent the gauge from working would it? Either way, here's a good write-up on getting access to your gauges to make this type of repair.

https://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=48848

The speedo has a bunch of caps on the control board for it, at least the one in my RC does. I don't know how the speedo circuit functions but generally speaking if the parts are there they aren't exactly optional. I would've replaced them purely for prevention (like I did with the tach) but a couple required significant disassembly of the speedo to get to.

FC Zach

Do RCs have a cable driven speedometer? If not, disregard my suggestions :)

I know very little about the particulars when it comes to differences like this between AllTrac and RC trims. I apologize if they are completely different. . but hey, at least there's a nice How-To thread I suggested that might help :D

bigrob8134

So since I have an RC and the speedometer is electric. Where should I start. I already replaced the sensor and that didn't fix the problem. All of the other gauges work.

r-town

bigrob8134":27hl71nc said:
So since I have an RC and the speedometer is electric. Where should I start. I already replaced the sensor and that didn't fix the problem. All of the other gauges work.

One possibility is that the internal plastic ring (gear) inside the transmission is toast, this will be a pain to replace.