Identify transmission

AvivB

Hi,

Is there a way to identify the transmission model without taking it apart?
I had a trip to the junk yard and the guy there have a lot of Toyota transmissions but he has no clue which is which so he couldn't help me finding the one I needed.

I'm on a hunt for parts for my S53.
I saw few transmissions similar to the S53 but not identical...
I'm looking on a way to identify them as my S53 share parts with some others like the S51, S54 and more which could be helpful if I only could identify them.

A decade ago when I had to do similar drill for engine parts, I used the part number stamped on the front of the head to identify it.
But I don't see any part number on the transmission cases

Did I miss the marking somewhere?
Any other ideas?

This might help. I thought there were some kind of tags on these. If they were paper, that would be a problem. But according to this, there should be some kind of stamping on it.

Attachments

• S53.jpg
    S53.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 2,120

AvivB

Ok, so I've cleaned my own transmission case very good and found the location of the serial number...
On mine, there is "20619003" which means 19_2, July, ID: 19003 -- which fits as this is S53 from my 1992 ST182.
So I went to my friend car and cleaned this area and found "20212634" which means 19_2, February, ID: 12634 -- which fits too as it is S53 from his 1991 ST182.
I've also noticed "50" written on my transmisson with fade white handwriting which caused me to think that it might not originally belong to my car (aka, junk yard marks).
But then I've noticed the same fade "50" at the same spot on my friends transmission so I think those are some leftovers from the manufacturing line.

However, all of this doesn't help me to identify the the model/sub-model of the transmissions I find at the junk yard.

@93celicaconv, what is the source of this screenshot?
Do you have it for different models too? newer S series and the C series transmissions?

AvivB

The two above are from my car and from a friend car.
The ones I'm trying to identify are laying around the junk yard.
If they have been attached to cars then there was no problem as I can read the manufacturing plate. :)

Does the transmission in the salvage yard (that is no longer in the car) have the vehicle VIN plate still on it?

I have two ST184's and two ST185's. My ST184's (which are automatic) have a plate riveted to the transmission case with the vehicle VIN on it. I can't see well enough on the ST185's down there to see if it also has such a VIN plate (of course, on an ST185, it doesn't matter, as those manual transmissions were very unique and obvious to recognize when not in the vehicle). If that manual transmission you are considering has the original vehicle VIN plate on it that it was originally installed in, that VIN would tell you what you need to know.

AvivB

No, the transmissions are imported without any info for the original car.
At brief look last time I've been there, I didn't see any labeling on them (from the other hand, I also missed the serial stamped on them too).
on the two S53 I have access to, there is no plate nor anything that say it is S53.

I don't know how to help you any further. I would suggest importing a transmission from a source who knows what vehicle it was previously in - looks like that is the only way you will know for sure.

Can't you import one from the US? There is a salvage yard near me that has 1990-1993 Celica's in it, and if one of the ST184's (w/5S-FE engine) has a 5-speed in it, it will be an S53 transmission. I think the only difference in the 1990-1992 group vs. the 1993 model is the 1993 model had updated synchros.

Below is one from eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/90-91-92-93-TO ... SwJcZWcDcD