ST185 fuel level sensor

EvilStig

Fuel light doesn't come on anymore, although the gauge seems to work fine. Shop says it's the sensor in the sending unit, which they say has 2 different sensors for the 2 instruments.

Does anyone know what part number this might be and whether it's going to be interchangeable with the one on any other model celicas I might be more likely to find in a scrap yard?

underscore

The only part number I can find is 83320-80141 GAGE ASSY, FUEL SENDER for the whole thing, which only cross references to a USDM ST185. Maybe pull the assembly out of the tank and see what it looks like? I imagine it's just a switch the level float hits on the way down.

sefiroxx

It's, unique to st185.

These are variable resistor with wire harness. When you pull it, you'll see where the float contacts slide against the mounting bracket. Check the contracts are in place, make sure contact plate is clean, meadow resistance via wire harness, move the flat and verify the resistance varies smoothly with no drop off except at bottom.

Also, make sure float is in place.

This sending unit has 2 independent outputs. One involves a float, which has a variable resistor output, which is going to your fuel gauge. Another is a fixed sensing unit that senses a change as the fuel level gets to and below its sensing element (this goes to your low fuel level warning light). In the situation of the OP, the sensor for the low fuel level sensor has failed. Foe pictures of what the fuel sending unit looks like, see that link below.

- https://www.farpost.ru/vladivostok/auto ... 38394.html

I just resolved this issue on my 90 Celica All-Trac. Here is how I did it:

From one of my other posts....

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=54225&start=15#p496190

First post: "I removed the fuel level sender unit and noticed that the low fuel level sensor on the bottom of the second arm is missing. Is this part still available for sale? Does anyone know if another sensor from some other Toyota/Lexus will work?"

Second post: "I got a fuel level sending unit on Ebay that was for a 1998-2002 Toyota Corolla. It looks as if I can get the low fuel sensor that comes with it to work with some cutting and splicing."

Third post: "I finally received the fuel level sensor and low fuel light assembly from the Corolla. I cut the low fuel level switch/sensor off using tin snips and also cut the wire and stripped it about 1/4 inch. I then put the switch/sensor where the original one was and bent the part that holds the sensor, the bottom of the metal arm, with some pliers to make a nice pressure fit of the new switch/sensor to the arm. I then soldered the wire to the original wiring and used some heat shrink.

Then, I went out to the car and plugged my nicely refurbished All-Trac fuel level sender in. I turned the key to the ON position and within a few moments the LOW FUEL level light illuminated! Then I moved the fuel level arm all the way up and the gauge on the instrument cluster slowly moved to the F position!!

Finally, I then wanted to verify that the LOW FUEL level light would extinguish itself when submerged in fuel. I cut out a hole in the bottom of a nearly full fuel injection cleaner bottle and then submerged the low fuel switch/sensor in the bottle. After a few moments, the LOW FUEL light turned off!!!

Now I am going to put it all back together and hopefully have a nice running All-Trac."

Roreri

Noted. This is my ride’s condition also—gauge works but low fuel light no longer indicates when fuel is low. Definitely a low priority issue, but if I drop the tank to do fuel pump work could see about addressing it.