HOYS' ST185 Res-Q

hoys

kXnFgF6.jpg

7BlycUH.jpg

Test fitting RC/CS components. Going off to paint in a week or so. Will fix the roof clearcoat damage at the same time.

Also bought some cheap Avid 1 wheels for maximum scene points TM.

I think next on the list will be installing the RC intercooler and buying some coil overs as the suspension isn't getting any better.

hoys

Car is back from paint:

SZux3Zx.png

99zzubk.png

Q60Ugx8.png

I've got a few more bits to fit onto the car and it should be ready to rock. Very happy with the result. No more clear coat fade on the roof!

On to fitting the air to water intercooler and new struts and springs all around.

I think after that I won't do much to the car for awhile. Probably start a long running engine build.

hoys

Drove a few hundred miles for a small car show. Car had no issues whatsoever. I'm starting to hear a noise that sounds like the turbo going bad and the clutch take up point is getting pretty high. So I guess it's time to swap :)

hoys

ST185 RC Air to water installed with a bosch pump and eBay heat exchanger. Turbo noise is much more noticeable and the car drives well.

ECUMaster PNP in the mail.

Rick89GTS

Nice find! Getting so much harder to find clean 165/185s now. I love the 7th Gen rims but the new ones fill out the wheel wells better :)

hoys

ECUMaster ECU installed. A bit of a hassle to get their VR sensing working correctly as they don't use a VR conditioner like other applications. Big thanks to Scott at ATS for working through some of the issues with me. I'm debating either modifying the PNP adapter to use a VR conditioner board or design a whole new adapter board that has a VR conditioner circuit on it. I'm trying to reuse a lot of the factory wiring that the standalone gets rid of to add additional sensors etc. Two wires are reused from the AFM for the IAT where the cold start injector once was. As I have a wideband as well the entirety of the oxygen sensor wiring is open for use as well as a remaining signal wire and 5v ref on the AFM connector. I need to add the flex fuel sensor still from the ATS kit and will add a fuel pressure sensor with the new fueling setup.

New fueling setup to consist of 1200cc injectors, RacerX fuel rail, Racetronix fuel lines and fittings, Aeromotive 340lph in tank pump.

OH! I also picked up a GTX 2860 Gen2 that is bolt on using the exhaust housing from Nixspeed.

Fun awaits!

hoys

abeans":7gdqdxu3 said:
Would you have gone a different ECU knowing what you know now?

Most likely not. All of the issues are manageable, it's really just my electronics OCD kicking in. There is no real issue with the ECU itself, just the adapter portion for the 3S. Classically the 3S's signals and any VR signal really has been a pain for standalone ECUs. When I put an MS2 on my ST165 it had VR conditioning circuitry built into the board. This converts the VR AC signals into a square wave which is much easier for modern electronics to understand and what most modern vehicles use. A standalone MFG can't be expected to pack every potential circuit into their ECU for every potential ignition system etc. Truly how ECUMaster handles the VR signaling seems to work well once dialed in. SIze the resistor appropriately in the adapter board for the signal strength your dizzy puts out, tune the VR sensor trigger sensitivity table so you have no dropouts, and good to go.

68N7Vw1.png

As with ANYTHING aftermarket it could always be better, but how much R&D do you expect a mfg to put into a solution for an old platform that most people convert to a new style ignition system?

I haven't had much seat time with the new ECU as it is on a base map and the car is awaiting further mods before getting a final tune. If I have persistent issues I will be modifying the existing adapter or creating my own PCB with the VR conditioning circuitry. I'll gladly share my work for anyone else to use in the future.

I picked EMU because of the range of options and what seems to be a decently robust feature set. Hopefully it pays off!

abeans

hoys":3sxq1w5u said:
abeans":3sxq1w5u said:
Would you have gone a different ECU knowing what you know now?
As with ANYTHING aftermarket it could always be better, but how much R&D do you expect a mfg to put into a solution for an old platform that most people convert to a new style ignition system?
Yep, i get it. I'm on the fence pulling the trigger for a aftermarket solution myself.

By the way i love the green with the bronze wheels, what are they for offset? +35? 17x8?

hoys

Everything ordered for a fuel system upgrade including flex fuel capability and long-term compatibility.

Aeromotive Stealth 340 E85 Pump
RacerX Fuel Rail
DW 1200cc Low-Z injectors
Racetronix conductive PTFE lines and fittings (-6)

I'm trying to reuse and adapt to as much of the factory components as possible. The fuel fittings in the rear of my car are intact and are easily disconnected. I'm sure this isn't the case for a lot of other cars given their age and rust. Adapting to these fittings is a nightmare I've found. They are M14 x 1.5 but have an internal flare seat to seal the fittings. For a long time it seemed not much existed on the market to work with these. There is a Radium female fitting, but no male fitting. I found 3SX performance has the same issue with 3000GT's and Stealths. They offer line kits and fittings to adapt to this style of internal flare. I ordered two adapters from them.

So the tank line will be an adapter to -6AN, -6AN PTFE line, another -6AN fitting to adapter. The return line at the tank will be a Barricade rubber hose. This should be good enough for E85. If not I'll explore other options.

Overview of parts ordered for tank lines:

TDcSLeg.png

Mdh6alO.png

Feed in the engine bay will route to a stock location and design fuel filter (new) and come out as -6AN. There is a standard carb inlet fitting that works well to seal against the fuel filter outlet that is widely available. I'm also going to include an adapter after the filter to plub a fuel pressure sensor to feed into the ECU for piece of mind. This then outlets to -6AN PTFE line to a 180 fitting to terminate into the fuel rail. The outlet of the fuel rail uses the RacerX FPR adapter to utilize the stock FPR. I believe this will be plenty adequate for the time being. Return from the rail will then use Barricade hose to the flex fuel sensor. All flex fuel sensors use a 3/8" fitting (generally quick disconnect) so this makes it difficult to work with the 1/4" return line. Using 5/16" to 3/8" QD fittings on the FF sensor and heating the line to expand over the 5/16" line should work just fine. Outlet of FF sensor runs to the stock return line.

Overview of parts ordered for in bay lines:

vgYY92Y.png

A bit overkill on some of the hurdles to adapt to factory lines where I could just run AN the whole way...but I'm weird like that.

Also 3D printed a bracket for the flex fuel sensor out of ABS. It's a stock file from Thingiverse so I don't think the bolt pattern spacing will do much for me, but it is a start and can be modified easily. RacerX has a FF sensor mount that looks nice but I'm unsure if it will work with the Alltrac trans compared to the MR2.

Removing the TVSV plug from the rear side of the engine without tiny hands and long arms seems impossible (sans dropping the engine or doing more invasive surgery than sticking my hand through from the passenger side) so I'll be using the EGR wiring instead to facilitate and easy connection to the ECUMaster through the factory loom. EGR delete kit ordered as well. The ECUMaster doesn't have an EGR strategy and I'd rather not muck with it anyway.

Let me know if anyone needs more detail on any of this. I spent a good bit of time compiling information to figure this out myself as there aren't a lot of resources out there specific to this chassis. Glad to share any knowledge I can.

abeans

Is there anything special with the injector size length when using the Racer X rail? Or are they just standard off the shelf injectors?

Also, you are obviously removing the resistor pack, can you share more on that?

hoys

abeans":3omyi9qj said:
Is there anything special with the injector size length when using the Racer X rail? Or are they just standard off the shelf injectors?

RacerX rail is set up for 60mm height injectors with 14mm diameter. Pretty common.

I am not removing the injector resistor pack. I am using injectors that work with the pack.

abeans

hoys":36s024e7 said:
abeans":36s024e7 said:

RacerX rail is set up for 60mm height injectors with 14mm diameter. Pretty common.

I am not removing the injector resistor pack. I am using injectors that work with the pack.
Interesting, i thought that was specifically for low impedance injectors, is that what you are going to run?

hoys

abeans":139t5moa said:
hoys":139t5moa said:
abeans":139t5moa said:

Interesting, i thought that was specifically for low impedance injectors, is that what you are going to run?

Yep! I mention "Low Z" which is just means low impedance.

originalmystro

Thats a sweet find and the paint looks way better than the one I found wow. I kind of hoping the trailer hitch on it will be used for some tethered awd burnouts recorded for here :wink:

hoys

Parts have been hard to come by and slow to ship with everything going on in the world. Injectors were mega back ordered so I pulled the trigger on some ID1050x's. Will be deleting the resistor pack now.

abeans

hoys":365yt8ja said:
Parts have been hard to come by and slow to ship with everything going on in the world. Injectors were mega back ordered so I pulled the trigger on some ID1050x's. Will be deleting the resistor pack now.
Document it :) I hope to do it one day.

hoys

Dropped the tank today to facilitate the installation of the new upgraded fuel pump and E85 compatible lines.

As it is with these cars, it was nearly impossible to find good pictures of parts sometimes. I guessed on the fittings required to connect the tank to the hardline and missed a bit.

w3ikbwL.png

This is what the factory diagram shows for the line and fittings. In reality there is a hardline 45 degree bend coming off the tank as the line needs to dip down to clear the body. I had straight fittings planned and they don't clear. The fitting adapter from 3SX.com that is used for those cars works well on the tank side, but not on the body side. It needs a bit more depth to seal well. I've ordered the Radium fitting that is intended for MKIV Supra. I've also ordered a 90 degree female-female AN coupler to clear the chassis out of the pump. I could get away with a 45 if it wasn't for the adapter fitting on the outlet of the pump hangar assembly.