abeans st185 - Kill 1 Save Another

Talk about your project car here

Re: abeans st185 - Kill 1 Save Another

Postby abeans » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:00 am

silverarrow wrote:Man, I figure you were going to save all the windows too. :shrug:

Front windshield was cracked, and i don't particularly care for storing glass.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
abeans
Club Member

Postby FC Zach » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:13 am

abeans wrote:So after working on this car, let me begin my rant. WHAT IN SATANS HELL IS THIS DASHBOARD MOUNTING?! It has to be the most difficult dashboard in any car of this age. It took me a couple days to remove. :bangshead: (wiring behind it isn't much better. :twisted: )

Ha Ha, been there! I had to repair my heater core when I first got my car and I remember it taking me a while to remove everything to get to it.

abeans wrote:I was going to pull the pump out and realized some nice Japanese engineer made a service hole for the fuel level but not the fuel pump.

Yep, definitely a PITA! !

I also had to fight with removing my trans. . I fought with it for hours and when I least expected it (and really not even trying) it separated like some secret combination had been entered. When the time came to reassemble, I avoided all the nonsense and did the missile-silo-method. . .

Example:

from this thread: https://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=23761
1992 Toyota Celica AllTrac
1993 Yamaha GTS1000
1987 Mazda RX7 Sport
FC Zach
Established Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby transneptunian69 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:37 am

Man. Hate to see one go down like that. Good luck with the new one though. Can’t wait to see more progress!
1993 JDM ST-185 - The project
2001 Focus ZX3 - The daily
2017 Dodge Caravan - The grocery getter
transneptunian69
Club Member

1993 Toyota Celica

Postby abeans » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:14 am

Me too. I don't like killing rare cars, trust me. But this other car wouldn't be saved otherwise.

So here is some more pics of the car, and the mess inside. Apologies for the poor pics, it makes the car look much worse (although there is plenty of dated, poor modifications).

Engine bay

Anyone recognize this turbo "kit"

And the mess inside. This is the real fun.

abeans
Club Member

Postby abeans » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:21 am

Alot of original boxes. - BNIB headgasket. New Greddy turbo timer. AEM box is still there, misc bolts and hoses. Meth injection pump from a brand I've never heard of.

Spare lamps

Spare crank... ? :shrug:

Intake plumbing and such

The poor wiring harness, some of it is just straight lopped off from under the dash.. No idea why. :doh: I'm sure glad i saved ALL the harnesses from the other car.

Battery relocation with some other nonsense going on back here?

abeans
Club Member

Postby abeans » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:28 am

I appreciate the tips about pulling the trans, i'll give it another go.

Let me know if anyone can ID that turbo "kit" unless its a mix and match of a bunch of stuff. I'm very likely going to ditch it in favor of the stock manifold.

Hate 80's turbo tech, but i much prefer stock plumbing, later down the road if budget allows i might send it out to get a CT27 from ATS, which seems like it would give me some of what i want.
abeans
Club Member

Postby abeans » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:56 pm

Spent the entire day working on the car yesterday. Found some good news and some bad news.

Bad news first. Might need help finding parts for this... one of the previous owners...bangshead:

https://youtu.be/-vasutWg_W0

So if you know someone who might have all the parts im missing please let me know.
abeans
Club Member

Postby r-town » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:32 pm

abeans wrote:Spent the entire day working on the car yesterday. Found some good news and some bad news.

Bad news first. Might need help finding parts for this... one of the previous owners...bangshead:

So if you know someone who might have all the parts im missing please let me know.

You can re-use the whole unit from the GT and GT-S models. I have removed two units from the wreckers in the past. You have to be careful with the bolts, some of them just break too easily.
1990 Celica All-trac (Current Project)
1996 Rav4 2-door 4WD (New Project)
1998 Rav4 2-door 4WD (Daily)
r-town
Club Member

Postby 93celicaconv » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:17 am

abeans wrote:Spent the entire day working on the car yesterday. Found some good news and some bad news.

Sorry, but it is not clear to me what all the parts are that you are missing. Maybe because I didn't have the audio on? At any rate, I see you are missing the headliner/insulation - is that what you are looking for? Or are there other parts involving the sun roof that you need?
93celicaconv
Club Member

Postby abeans » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:22 am

93celicaconv wrote:

Sorry, but it is not clear to me what all the parts are that you are missing. Maybe because I didn't have the audio on? At any rate, I see you are missing the headliner/insulation - is that what you are looking for? Or are there other parts involving the sun roof that you need?

There is a bunch missing. I have the headliner and surround. Im not entirely all sure whats missing but it seems like the mechanical track parts and surround. Wood is holding it up....
abeans
Club Member

Postby 93celicaconv » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:45 am

There might be a GT in a salvage yard near me that may have what you need. I just wouldn't know what they would want for all the parts and what you need. Maybe when the winter subsides a bit, I can look if any are out there and if there is one or two, you can come down and grab what you want from it?
93celicaconv
Club Member

Postby abeans » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:54 pm

93celicaconv wrote:There might be a GT in a salvage yard near me that may have what you need. I just wouldn't know what they would want for all the parts and what you need. Maybe when the winter subsides a bit, I can look if any are out there and if there is one or two, you can come down and grab what you want from it?

That would be very very helpful. Michigan junkyards are extremely domestic heavy. Maybe a 15:1 ratio to imports.
abeans
Club Member

Postby abeans » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:54 pm

Still picking away. Below more video and tearing apart.

Good news, motor makes good compression. Clutch pedal issue was a seized clutch slave. New unit works good. :D So i don't have to pull the engine and trans, makes me very very happy.

Cleaned up the carpet some with all the mouse shit on it. Could use another scrub but way better.

This was the worst of the rust on the car. Gave it a 3 stage POR-15 treatment. Also did the other spots that rusted out on the other car (Good reference)

Here is some more of the garbage one of the previous owners did.

This is the pyrometer, i'm sure that gave a accurate reading.

Coolant distribution block absolutely disgusting and extremely ghetto setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGtZxp7chBg

This is the vacuum line configuration. I'm like 90% sure this car never made more than 1 or 2PSI... And found a dyno sheet in the car that supports that theory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNAxaRmpTlE

Timing belt is too loose for my liking and there is some corrosion on the waterpump.. So got a new kit coming SKF from rock seems very affordable, any feedback on that kit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAPREH3KZ7E

The turbo "kit" is off. I ended up pulling the trigger on a ATS CT27, just for peace of mind, so i won't have to pull this mess apart again for awhile.

Engine harness is off.

Whats next on the horizon?

pulling the vacuum like off the fuel pressure regulator had a bunch of gas in it. So i'll grab that from the other engine... I also found flow numbers for injector cleaning that was done. Shows about 530~CC and these injectors are a purple color on the car. I don't think thats factory from what i have been reading, so i might grab the parts car's injectors too.

Looks like the rear pinion (i guess thats what you guys would call it?) is leaking. So that's a rear diff out job (ignore the grass clippings, i'll clean it once it's out/running)

I'm not sure what this line is, but guessing it's fuel. So i'll have to look at that once i get back there, as it looks moist.

abeans
Club Member

Postby 93celicaconv » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:06 pm

You have an awful lot of stuff going on there all at one time. For the miles, its hard to believe how gunked up the cooling system components are. Can't imagine what heater core and radiator must look like. And the cooling jackets within the block and head. I'm sure you'll sort it out. Nice to have a ton of parts from a donor to work with too.
93celicaconv
Club Member

Postby abeans » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:37 am

Yeah, i think its a bit more project than i thought at first. Without the parts car it would not be possible to undo some of these "mods".

Did some more work today. Glad i got that timing kit on order, it was WAYYYY worse than it looked at first. :doh:

Here is the injectors that came with the parts car vs current car. I suspect they (the light purple) are from a Supra TT, but not positive. Either case the plan is stock ECU for now.

Really odd injector design, i don't understand the top plates purpose??? I thought it was just to hold the injector down, but has an O-RING with what looks like a shrader valve

I pulled off the flex back exhaust which is absolutely hilarious, here is my buddy holding it.

We then began removing the rest of the hacked and destroyed wiring harness, and replacing with the parts cars harness.

Who cuts stuff like this??????

Out.

In with the new (old) non hacked and back together.... (Minus HVAC and dash which i am DREADING :cry: )

Pulled the valve cover for grins. She's got ARP head studs so, that's neat.

Could someone let me know what this plate is please? Both engines have some form of this plate on the cylinder head.

abeans
Club Member

PreviousNext

Return to My Project