New guy here... 88 camry alltrac

max_axle

Hey thanks for the add! I was fortunate enough to come across a sweet camry alltrac and I had to have it. It's got a slight rod knock so I'm looking for a short block. Found a 3sfe.. my question is.. how much different is the 3sfe in alltrac vs fwd vs rav4? Engine mounts? T case mounts? Any experience would be much appreciated! TIA!

I am new to forums.. not sure how to post picture here.

Your 88 All-Trac Camry as the 2.0L 3S-FE engine in it now. What year 3S-FE engine did you find to replace it? I don't think I understand your other questions. My understanding is an engine from another 1988 3S-FE vehicle should work in your application. I think when you get outside of the 1988 model year too much, there are more differences. But your question is too general to advise. If you tell us what year 3S-FE engine you found, we can advise on the differences between that and what you have now easy enough.

max_axle

Thanks for the reply. To clarify, I believe the 3sfe that I found is from an 88 camry FWD. I can't seem to find solid info on whether the 3sfe in the FWD is the same as the 3sfe in the alltrac. They are different part numbers. I've heard that maybe one of the transmission bolts needs to be drilled, I've also heard that maybe there are some transfer case mounts on the block that may not be on the FWD 3sfe.. Do you know of any real difference? Thanks again!

Max

I would suggest you get some exploded parts views of both 1988 Camry's (one with & one without AWD) and see for yourself. I'm not well versed on Camry All-Tracs. Another option for you is to dig deeper into exactly what is wrong with your current 3S-FE. If the crankshafts are identical across all 3S-FE's from 1988, see if Toyota still has a crankshaft for yours (if you digging takes you to the crankshaft and a connecting arm bearing failure) - then have your current engine rebuilt.

Normally, if you have rod knock, you should start seeing your oil pressure light flicker when the engine is hot and idling, as a bearing with so much looseness to have knock should have a major oil draw through it. Do you have this condition? Or do you have an oil pressure gauge in your car (even if you have a gauge, you should have a low oil pressure light too).

You can get a membership to toyodiy.com and do some digging in diagrams (you have to have an invite from someone who has access to the exploded views for you to be able to see them). Then you can invest some time in looking at what, if anything, is different between engines.

max_axle

Great idea! Will definitely try getting an exploded parts view. I was thinking of slapping some bearing in it and hoping it lasts a bit longer!

I haven't noticed that oil light or low pressure yet. It just knocks at about 2500 rpm. I pulled the filter off and it is most definitely sparkly so I thing one of the bearings is saying bye bye..

Ill check out toyodiy for sure! Thanks much for the info!

Max

The little investigation I did tells me the 88 Camry FWD 3S-FE has 5 insulators (mounts) vs. 4 insulators used on the 88 Camry AWD 3S-FE. The FWD 3S-FE has a center mount that the AWD doesn't. This could be the only difference in the block (the FWD block having tapped holes for this center insulator bracket while the AWD block may not have the tapped holes because no need for the center mount bracket. The other 4 mounts have different part numbers, but similar geometry, which tells me with the AWD setup being heavier, they are just most likely having a harder rubber used to handle the additional weight. The flywheels are also different between the two, but the crankshaft, pistons, bearings, etc., all are the same. I see the transaxle stiffener plate (bolted to the block) is different, but I think it uses the same attaching point to the block. So from an initial blush, I haven't seen anything that tells me there is a block difference between the two that prevents you from using an FWD 3S-FE engine. Given the internals are the same, even if there is a major difference in the block, you could transfer the internals from the better FWD engine to the AWD engine too.

Seeing metallic particles in your oil filter is not a good thing at all.If your filter got plugged with that debris and was bypassing the filter element to keep oil flowing, you may have pump oil with metallic particles throughout the engine, spoiling not only your crank journals, crank and rod bearings, but also your cam bearings (which are not replaceable). If you get that FWD 3S-FE, that head may be used on our AWD 3S-FE block if necessary to give you what you need.

You have a lot of investigation to do. But I would cease driving it immediately to prevent further irreversible engine damage.

flyingdutchman

Just FYI, most of the Camry Alltrac guys are on ToyotaNation. For day-to-day stuff there is just more in common with the Camry platform (although the AWD systems are very similar).

I was in a similar situation and regret not swapping in the 5SFE for a little extra power.