Help aligning new steering rack, eye balling it!

awdmofo

Hello everyone. I have a 1990 ST-185, Can someone with a 90-93 (if they are all the same) do me a solid and count how many threads you can see between the tie rod end and the steering rod that comes out of the rack. I forgot to count them when I removed the stock rack, and I bought an OEM rebuilt unit and new end links. Trying to have them lined up as straight as possible before I drive the car again. Of course i'm going to get an alignment, just don't want to be so off that when I try and drive the car its pulling hard left or right. Thanks!

sefiroxx

Minor toe in will self center assuming you let the wheel adjust.

If you are using replacement tie's then the thread count will be different.

My shade mechanic method:

If you have a center tread, raise the front, use a tape measure from center to center on the front and on the back of the tires as high as you can get. Front should be a 3/16-1/4 shorter. Err on the lesser amount (closer to parallel)

awdmofo

Yea they are Aftermarket tie ends so, I didn't think about it you're prob right about the thread count.

Should i just measure the back side and front side of the front tires off the ground and make the adjustment?

___Scott___

I've done my own alignment after replacing some steering parts. I live miles from the closest alignment shop and didn't want to chew up tires either.

I used the strings method, make them parallel to the car and each other, then measure the front and rear edge of the rim to the string and adjust tie rod until they are approximately equal. Do this for each side. Don't forget to center your steering wheel.

You will need a set of make-shift bearing plates so your tires can move freely while loaded with the full weight of the car. I made some with ball bearings and plywood (didn't work that well, the wood is too soft.) I've heard of people using a couple floor tiles with grease between them. You get the idea, be creative.

My alignment came out as good as any that I've paid money for. You can probably get pretty close too if you're careful.

awdmofo

seen videos of the string method. Might be my only shot to get it to a place to do a more accurate alignment.