Engine operating Temperatures???

Can anyone please let me know what some typical engine operating temperatures they are seeing in an ST165?

I know these Celica ST165 engine bays run pretty hot. I'm wondering how mine compare to others?

For example, driving to work this morning, full operating temp after 15 minutes, grandma driving, shifting at 3,500 rpm, little boost (My ST165):

Outside Temp = 66 degrees F

Engine Coolant Temp = 185 F
Ambient Air (Inside airbox) = 93 F
Intake Air Temp = 127 F
Charge Temp = 165 F
Intercooler water temp = 68 F

Are these normal?

dbucks2k

I get similar temps. Granted I have a 4th gen swap with the top mount air to air intercooler. And my fans run all the time. But at ambient of 66F my engine runs between 185-190. Intake temps around around 130.

No, stock airbox.
But I did add an additional 1.25" fresh air duct that channels air from the grill in to the factory airbox.

Ram Air vent.jpg

Driving yesterday mid-afternoon, I had these temps:

Outside Temp = 83 degrees F

Engine Coolant Temp = 190 F
Ambient Air (Inside airbox) = 129 F
Intake Air Temp = 144 F
Charge Temp = 165 F
Intercooler water temp = 90 F

Yes, Intercooler pump is running constantly.
IC water temp measured at bottom of the IC radiator. (12” x 12” x 2”).

dbucks2k

You can wrap your intercooler in heat foil to help reduce heat soak from the engine bay. But your intercooler water temps will never be below ambient air. So being 83 outside and having 90 intercooler water temps are pretty good. But with how small the st165 intercooler is it can only take out so much heat.

I did wrap the Intercooler with 2 layers of heat shielding.
Also added “water wetter” to the IC coolant.

What’s puzzling is I’m driving grandma with almost no boost. So the intake air is jus regular under hood conditions.