FC Zach's AllTrac

gt4tified

FC Zach":3jgp3se3 said:
I also recently got a couple packs of poly bushings from a friend for the rear of a 185 (and possibly others) so with that said if anyone is interested in a pack I'll part with the other pack (one pack will do both sides).

49944088477_a4472bc660_z.jpg

Sure, let me know how much shipped to 33206-3206.

FC Zach

Wasn't a whole lot going on with the Celica and definitely not now! Until a few weeks ago, things were great with it and all was well. Despite diagnosing the timing issue which oddly followed some maintenance I had done to the front of the engine (new cam seals and oil pump o-ring, adjustable gears, belt, and PS pump leak fix). After finding that issue was actually a code and was caused by a failed TPS, I replaced sensor and drove the car for a short while. . . Till my transmission decided that shifting out of fifth gear was optional. :bangshead: I came to a stop at a traffic light and of all the lights to break down at, it had to be one of the busiest ones in town!

The funny thing is, I was on my way to meet my wife to drive to Bowling Green, KY to trade her car in for a 4Runner, I'm actually kind of happy this happened when it did because I'll definitely need something else to drive since this wont be a quick fix. I was able to limp it home but at the expense of my Exedy stage 2 three puck (I can't wait to see what it looks like now). . . LOL I just rode the crap out of the clutch till I built up enough speed to somewhat move along without pressing the clutch pedal (the engine still bogged down bad), the posted speed was only 45 so I could never get to an acceptable RPM.

Anyway, the car sat at my in-laws till I could get back to access the damage. I was able to get it out of gear and while leaving, I noticed reverse was rough too. I did limp it home but I stayed out of fifth. Once I got home I tested my luck with fifth and reverse some more and they are both tough to shift in and out of. My guess is that the clutch hub(whatever the assembly is called that the the shift fork moves) is bad (there is nothing wrong with the cables) so I'll definitely need to pull the engine/trans for this :cry:

All that said, I'm the proud new owner of an Acura MDX and looking at the silver lining, I'm glad this happened when it did and that we didn't trade in her Acura. This is definitely the newest, nicest, and probably fastest vehicle I've ever owned. At least it's AWD, the 300hp helps too :)

37950720_10105615566342215_6454938651607433216_o.jpg

I'll update this thread whenever I get around to tearing into her. The good news is that I don't have to and I can take my sweet time, which will possibly be when it cools off some more :D

autojumbled

You've been using an ST185 as a daily/only car?! LOL brave man

Any idea at all what the fault could be? Thinking clutch rather than gearbox?

underscore

If it's only 2 of the gears acting up it shouldn't be the clutch. I'd check the whole cable system again to be sure and maybe pull just the selector systen out of the top of the trans and check it before pulling the whole thing out. I had issues with 5/R in my GTS and then lost them, it turned out somehow the sugar cube had come

FC Zach

autojumbled":upje5xxv said:
You've been using an ST185 as a daily/only car?! LOL brave man
Ha Ha! Yep, it wasn't easy but I was able to pull it off. . I'm pretty good with turning wrenches so at least I can do my own repairs :) It will soon be registered as an antique auto (25 years in TN), I'll do that when the current tag expires. I have already switched to Hagerty insurance with a stated value, so it's daily days are long gone. Before the trans incident happened, I was waiting patiently for the GR Yaris but sadly the official announcement was made that the US will not get it :roll: So now, in the meantime while I drive my wife's hand-me-downs LOL, the flavor of the week for me currently is the RS Fucus (if I can find one).

autojumbled":upje5xxv said:
Any idea at all what the fault could be? Thinking clutch rather than gearbox?
Doubt it's the clutch, all other gears shift as the should. Definitely gear box but I'll find out for sure when I get motivated.

FC Zach

underscore":2zi35r1w said:
If it's only 2 of the gears acting up it shouldn't be the clutch. I'd check the whole cable system again to be sure and maybe pull just the selector systen out of the top of the trans and check it before pulling the whole thing out. I had issues with 5/R in my GTS and then lost them, it turned out somehow the sugar cube had come

Thanks but I'm positive it's not the cables. I've had both off and both move freely. . the trans did not.

underscore

I was going to say they could be stretched but if the trans isn't moving that's pretty definitive lol. Hopefully it's just something in the selector mechanism up top.

FC Zach

I don't know, we shall see. My bet is that it's a clutch hub (or whatever it's called that the fork moves).

FC Zach

MY apologies, I'm calling the assembly that I'm thinking of a "clutch hub" (an internal transmission part, really not sure of the actual part name). I definitely didn't mean to imply the actual clutch but after rereading the last comments and wondering why the clutch was mentioned, I see now. .

FC Zach

No updates since, except cleaning her up and setting aside till I feel like pulling everything. That and was waiting for the weather to get cooler. . . That has happened so it's just getting motivated now :)

FC Zach

I loved driving my AllTrac daily, especially up until recently because the longer I had it, the more I was able to fix all the little issues to make it a trustworthy car that I had confidence in taking anywhere. . But after having said that, there was always the scary thought of the car getting destroyed by anything out of my control and because of that very thought, I'm happy I'm driving something else.

transneptunian

I’ve been pretty fortunate so far. It hasn’t left me stranded and besides having to replace the clutch and master clutch cylinder, I haven’t had any major issue. It’s pretty low mileage though. I figure why buy a car if you’re not going to daily, or at least drive often. I have a newer van or a beater truck also I could be driving, it just feels better to drive the trac. Definitely smart to at least have another reliable car while owning one of these though. Gives you the piece of mind to work on it in your own time and not seemed rushed or burdened by HAVING to get it fixed.

Are you planning to just get it back to where it was or working on any new bits?

FC Zach

transneptunian69":1njwy0o1 said:
Definitely smart to at least have another reliable car while owning one of these though. Gives you the piece of mind to work on it in your own time and not seemed rushed or burdened by HAVING to get it fixed.
Definitely! That hits the nail on the head and also helps with your next question. . .

Are you planning to just get it back to where it was or working on any new bits?
Not only that (back to where it was) but I'd also like to address the small mystery oil leak and possibly a CT27 and cams.

I figure why buy a car if you’re not going to daily, or at least drive often.
I agree with this wholeheartedly! Backstory: I love rotaries and own an RX7 and have owned a couple rotary motorcycles too (as well as a few other rotaries). . one of which was an oil injected Hercules W2000 (one of 199 made) that I never rode. . I ended up selling that to get another bike that I could enjoy. The RX7 is driven out of state every year and enjoyed occasionally. With all that said, once the Celica is back together, it will not only stay in my collection but will also still be hooned on occasion ;)

FC Zach

To add to the RX7: I got that car from a junkyard for $500 when I was in highschool (~04) with hopes of getting into autocross and over the years I got it nicer and nicer, up to the point it is today. To this day, I have never got into racing, I lost interest somewhere in-between. Either way, I love the car and although I don't drive it often, I have a lot in it and it's not going anywhere, just like the Celica!

42616921674_346391da28_z.jpg

underscore

transneptunian69 said:
I figure why buy a car if you’re not going to daily, or at least drive often./quote]

So much this. Life is too short and too unpredictable to not drive your fun vehicles as much as possible. One day, one way or another, every car will cease to be driven by someone who loves it. When that day comes I'd much rather be looking back at all the joy I got out of it instead of looking back at all the times I drove some boring POS for no reason. Electric cars and driverless cars are coming on fast, and I wouldn't be surprised if within my lifetime I'm bo linger allowed to drive my Celica on the road.

transneptunian

underscore":g1b0kv99 said:
transneptunian69":g1b0kv99 said:
I figure why buy a car if you’re not going to daily, or at least drive often./quote]

So much this. Life is too short and too unpredictable to not drive your fun vehicles as much as possible. One day, one way or another, every car will cease to be driven by someone who loves it. When that day comes I'd much rather be looking back at all the joy I got out of it instead of looking back at all the times I drove some boring POS for no reason. Electric cars and driverless cars are coming on fast, and I wouldn't be surprised if within my lifetime I'm bo linger allowed to drive my Celica on the road.
Yea. Unfortunately, I could see it coming to a full on ban on old ICE vehicles. I’ll have my riot gear ready. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

transneptunian

Not only that (back to where it was) but I'd also like to address the small mystery oil leak and possibly a CT27 and cams.

Nice. I feel you on this one. Got a bit of a mystery leak myself. Had all the front and rear seals replaced when I had the timing belt and clutch changed but she still leaks a bit from the back of the engine somewhere. I hate how inaccessible the back is with the way they mounted the engine.

Very nice fc as well though. Makes me want another car to play around with besides the celica lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk