New ST165 owner

likethejeans

Hey folks,

My name is Levi, recently purchased a clean 1988 Celica all-trac from a fellow Colorado forum member, drewtcook. Check out his for sale listing for a write-up of everything he did to the car: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=53626.

Since I’ve owned it, it’s spent 80% of it’s time in the shop fighting a fuel tank leak. After throwing everything I could at fixing the original tank (JB Weld, fiberglass+epoxy, finally lap welding) and it still leaking; I’ve opted to put in a fuel cell. Not thrilled about the non-OEM look, but I couldn’t justify throwing more $$$ at bad metal. Will update with pictures soon of the new setup from Holley.

After only three months of ownership, this forum has already been a huge help. Excited to be a part of the community!

autojumbled

Funny, you guys in the US seem to have way more 165's than we o in the UK - this forum is full of them! :)

Where was the leak on the tank?

simple

Sealing a gas tank is tricky. Let me know if you want to try some epoxy I have that actually works on gas tanks. I had a similar issue with a motorcycle tank that was finally solved with this epoxy. I am in Colorado as well.

likethejeans

Appreciate the offer! However, I’m too far down the fuel cell rabbit hole to turn back now. The leak was a weird one, I had three shops try to fix it, using every trick in the book…and nothing held for more than a week. Short of using a process like Gas Tank Renu, I’m really not sure what could be done.

88gt4DE

Nice car ! Well , even if you go fuel cell don't throw out that tank. As you know you cant get them. Even a leaky one is worth something. I did send mine out to a company in Maryland some years ago now and it was restored. Still ok till this day and has a lifetime warranty. :smokes: Good luck with the project ! 8)

likethejeans

As part of the fuel cell project, I’m also installing a new pump. Jegs was running a crazy promotion a while back on a bundled tank, mounts, and pump assembly that was too good to pass up. However, it came with a massive 340 lph Holley Sniper pump that runs at 60psi.

Here’s the question: I’m thinking the stock regulator won’t be able to handle a pump that size, but I’m not sure? If not, is it better to replace the pump with a more reasonable 250lph model or should I put in an upgraded regulator?