ST185 gas tank filler tube repair/replacement

I removed the tank from my ST185 to replace pump. Rust is very minor on the tank but the filler tube has rust holes on the inner side of the bend. GT4 play is out of stock on these. All I see left as an option is JB WELD for now. Now that I cleaned and replaced mounting hardware tank removal will be easy. Will have remove tank again later to install new tube when I find one. Any other ideas?

Tippo

Did you reach out to GT4play at all? I had to email them and get a special order for my latest one. Try it out, they normally have pretty rapid response times.

Alikazam

If you have the tube off you might try taking it to a radiator repair shop and have it cleaned up, welded up, coated inside and painted. Will work for years after this. Good luck!

grip-addict

I'm with Alikazam. There are some temporary solutions you could do, but let's be real, getting the tank out sucks and you don't want to be doing this again.
I'm echoing his comment - take the tube to a radiator shop. They'll be able to cut out the bad sections and replace it with good steel. If it's too far gone, they can make you a new one. It's not that complex of a piece that you should have much trouble getting help.

best of luck, hope it's quick and painless.

abeans

This is the easiest gas tank i have ever removed. Takes 30 minutes.

There is a 185 filler neck on ebay right now from a russian seller.

Tecker185

Be careful welding the hole, there is a plastic tube inside it for the vent that melts easy. I usually braze holes in filler necks and gas tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

in effort to save plastic tube inside I tried solder instead of weld and it worked. I reshaped metal around a little to make the opening narrower.

Alikazam

rallygarage":gg76v3d3 said:
in effort to save plastic tube inside I tried solder instead of weld and it worked. I reshaped metal around a little to make the opening narrower.

JB Weld metal epoxy is another option. They even make a tank repair version. Good luck with it!