info on changing rear diff axle seals

gt4ferko

so im having a leak on my passenger side axle seal where the shaft goes into the differential. i believe ive found the right seals, however, ive never done them before
does anyone have any info on if they axle shafts just pop out of the diff? or is there more involved with this that i need to know about. just dont want to break anything
when doing this.

any info is appreciated!

thank, mike

Mike, I don't know what model All-Trac you have (you didn't say). If you have an ST185, there is a disassembly & assembly procedure in the BGB All-Trac Supplement (starting on page SA-47) that walks you through the procedure. There is a difference regarding if you have a conventional differential vs. a torque sensing limited slip differential (and you didn't say which type of differential you have). If you have this service manual supplement, go to page SA-47 and read through it. There are websites that have this manual available to download as a PDF as well.

gt4ferko

93celicaconv":250anjmu said:
Mike, I don't know what model All-Trac you have (you didn't say). If you have an ST185, there is a disassembly & assembly procedure in the BGB All-Trac Supplement (starting on page SA-47) that walks you through the procedure. There is a difference regarding if you have a conventional differential vs. a torque sensing limited slip differential (and you didn't say which type of differential you have). If you have this service manual supplement, go to page SA-47 and read through it. There are websites that have this manual available to download as a PDF as well.

sorry, i have a 1992 alltrac. i know my rear is non lsd, but thats the extent of what i know about it. im not sure if its even the original diff unfortunately. but my axle shaft seal leaks terribly. and unfortunately i dont have a manual. ill try to source one though. thanks for the info so far!

Go to this website: http://gt4.mwp.id.au/

Download this PDF: Toyota - ST185 - Repair Manual (1990)

Go to page SA-47 - focus on the conventional type differential (not the torque sensing limited slip differential, as you said your was not the Torsen type).

You should find all you need there to remove your side gear shafts and what you need to remove the oil seals after those side shafts are removed.

grip-addict

I'd suggest researching as much as possible before taking this on. This is hearsay but I've heard that the gear lash might have to be adjusted if the gears come out to change out the seals. Do the gears need to be removed to change the seals ? I have no idea ! But, I suggest checking/confirming before you get into it.

Btw, my diff was leaking oil and it turned out the breather cap on the top was closed off. I couldn't even get it to move with a hammer, it was that coked up with gear oil. replacing it helped A LOT with the gear oil leakage issue. Could be worth starting there.

If one would read the repair manual the previous post link takes you to, you will find that no gears are removed for the work associated with replacing the side gear shaft seals. Page SA-47 alone are the steps needed for side shaft seal removal (the side gear shafts need to be removed, but not the gears). Then skipping to page SA-62 (the pages in between are for further disassembly, not needed for seal removal/install), that page and SA-63 alone are what you reference for the side shaft seal installation.