Subframe ripped right off of the car!!

So yeah like the title said my rear subframe ripped right off its mounts(the rear ones near the fuel tank). I had been trying to figure out why the rear end was twisting a little when i came off the gas after a hard pull but couldnt find it. Guess i found it now...anyway its not much of an issue really i can fab up a new mount section myself but damn does this suck. subframe is out and everything connected to it, same goes for the fuel tank. The rot is pretty extensive so the whole section is gonna need to be cut out and replaced, gonna pull out the cutting wheels tomorrow and get on it, hopefully itll be off the body and ready to be recreated since it was put there by toyota 34 years ago.

Wasnt really looking for any help/input by posting, just wanted to share my pain with you guys :(

Anybody interested in some pics for fun while im building a new mounting section? Could be helpfull for some i guess...

grip-addict

Oh my gosh that does suck! I'm happy to hear you have to the skills and tools to repair, but that still sounds like a lot of work.
I'm in for photos. Never seen anything like what you describing before.

underscore

Ouch! It sounds like at least you caught it before it caused a major accident. Best of luck with the repair work, definitely share some pictures as you go along.

Tippo

That sounds terrifying. The usual location where the rust starts is the mount next to the exhaust. It's behind a shield, stuff gets caught up there and you'll never see it or be able to spray it out. Via con dio, sounds like an enormous undertaking. And yes, pictures are always welcome!

Yeah im well aware, luckily i found a 205 subframe for 80 bucks about 4 years ago 8) . Anyway one side is done now, im trying to figure out how to upload some pictures, the allowed size is only 1mb. ill get some up once i figure it out

sorry for the multiple post cant quite figure out how to put em all up together. But anyway took about 4 hours to get one side done, used 18 gauge steel. Wasnt all that difficult, youre basically just building a box, the toughest part is getting everything lined up properly and making sure the mesurements are correct. anyway this is her as she sits right now, if the weather is nice enough she should be back on the road in about a week or two.

Attachments

• sub421.jpg
    sub421.jpg
    887.2 KB · Views: 672

simple

When you say lined up properly can you expand on that? I looked at a ST204 converted to ST205 and the driveshaft wasn't straight but the rear subframe looked to be in the right spot
b1ceb70b5b48097d690b21f66cdca605.jpg

I cant really speak on a chassis thats been converted to awd since im working on a awd car to begin with. But for me i just have to make sure the diff/driveshaft and subframe all fit back together the way toyota intended. i would need more info on the build to really come to a conclusion. Has the 204 tunnel been modified or removed and replaced with a 205 one? Seems to me that would be the only reason the driveshaft would be off a little. Pictures would help.

What im doing right now tho is making sure everything is straight once bolted up and only then do i drill the 2 holes the subframe needs to be able to bolt up to the new boxes. I made the bottom of the box wide enough so that when i will need to drill those holes they will be drilled to wherever they need to be to keep everything straight mechanically. also keep in mind there isnt much weight on the boxes themselves, even tho you would think theres is most of it is on the struts. The boxes do need to be strong tho to survive the forces applied by the drivetrain/road. So basically what im saying is build your boxes, make the bottoms wide enough, once everyhing is in place and nice and straight put your drill bit through the subrame holes and drill em.

Somehow i knew that this would turn into a fwd to awd conversion thread tho lol

Roreri

I salute your git er dun attitude. I mean, basically, the ass end of your car came loose. But also, like you said, it seems to be basic welding.

Rock on!

Lopezjj1386

Can you make more mounting points for purchase this is a common fail point the community could probably use them I sure could