Timing for 3SGE Cams in a ST165

Mateo

The previous owner of my 165 swapped over 3SGE cams and did adjustable cam gears, intake timing was advanced 5° and exhaust was retarted 5°. I just set them to 0° and tried to set timing and it maxes out at 5° on the crank. What should I do in order to set it to the proper 10°?

grip-addict

The way you would normally set timing with factory cams and gears is that you would set both of the cams straight up on the notch marks in the cam cover and then have the crank pulley set at 0 on the lower cover. Everything is essentially zeroed out here, then you start the car, lock the timing with the diagnostic box, then physically move the distributor while checking with the timing light until you get the crank pulley to light up at 10 degrees advanced.

Having the cams straight up but the crank at 5 or 10° will be too advanced.

Mateo

That's how I had it set up when I did my head gasket, I had the distributor all the way back and the adjustment maxed out at 5° on the crank. Because the NA cams open up 7 degrees earlier, I set the intake to 7° advanced which should work the best if I'm understanding that right.