Rear Suspension Clunking

SBCelicaGT

I seem to be having a fairly consistent clunking noise coming from the rear of the car. What typically wears out on the suspension to cause the clunking? What I know about my case:

1)Happens over uneven ground or speed bumps
3)Not affected by braking
4)Not affected by revving the engine to cause the exhaust system to shake

Sway bar bushings are bout 12 bucks a piece from Toyota, and the end links are about 50 bucks each. Suspension arms have the bushings already pressed in, but cost wayyyyyy too much. Whats the likley culprit? Is there a chance that the struts are worn out? I have reason to believe they are the original 14 year old struts in there right now.

Thoughts?

RIalltrac

well if its a strut all you have to do is grab one of the rear corners of the car and lift it up. if it stays up the strut is shot, or push it down, same result same problem. Have you ever replaced you differential mount? thats a huge culprit for rear end clunk type noises, only that would occur during shifting, or getting on or letting off the gas. Mine got bad enough where even when I went over bumps in the road it would start clunking around back there

zblu81

In my old st-184 w/ 215K miles I had a lot of worn out suspension making those clunking noises, Strut mounts, Suspension arms, Sway bar endlinks...

With those things replaced it was a lot better but still made some noise

Stubble

I agree with RIalltrac about the diff mount. I haven't replaced mine, but I'm sure it is a big cause of most of my rear end noise (all my suspension components are the same age, but the rear sounds way worse). Search this board for rear diff stuff.

zblu81

What car is this for? I dont think he has a rear diff, the car in his sig is a V6 swapped st184.

SBCelicaGT

zblu81":2ynz567f said:
What car is this for? I dont think he has a rear diff, the car in his sig is a V6 swapped st184.

ding ding ding. LOL.

Ya, I don't have a rear diff. I might try changing out the sway bar bushings since they are cheap and just see how it does. I'll have the rear end apart anyway since Im changing spindles.