A sad day for my GT Four...any help with dealing with ICBC?

trialsmaster2

Hey there,
I just needed to post something regarding what happened to my 1987 JDM ST165 on the way to work today. At about 6:30am this morning, on a straight stretch of road, a deer runs out from the side of the road and plows into my car. Yes, the deer hit my car, not the other way around. The damage consists of (from what I can see), dented left front quarter panel (the door won't open now since things don't line up right), dented left door, torn off left mirror (folding, since my car is a JDM), deep dent in the left rear quarter panel, ripped off the left side piece of my spoiler too! Needless to say, the deer didn't make it either.

I made sure to take lots of digital photos both where I pulled over on the road and just now at work too (good thing I pack my camera around with me). Is there anything else I should be armed with before going to ICBC this Friday? Also, where would I (or a body shop) be able to get the correct JDM body panels for this car???

Thanks,
Aaron

ChrisD

Aaron,

Really sorry to hear!! :(

I have some bad news. The rear 1/4 panels are not available from anyone, anywhere. Toyota USA, Canada, and Japan have discontinued them. The front 1/4 panel may still be available for the LHS. I bought a LHS front fender from my dealership. For your mirrors, I think you might be best off trying to just get the USDM ones. Finding JDM parts is going to be a tough task for a body shop, although if you press them, who knows what will happen.

Be careful with your insurance company. I am sure they will try to screw you due to the rareness of your car.

Good luck, keep the board posted!

trialsmaster2

Well, my car goes into ICBC this Tuesday. No, I will not let them write it off!!! I got ahold of the people I bought my car from. They located a brand new left hand mirror for me for $250 I think it was. So, that's a bit of a relief. They can also look into body panels. Sure enough, I can't get door panels or rear quarter panels any more, but they said they'd look into used panels even. I did find ST165 front quarter panels on my local Toyota dealership's parts program. Anyways, I will keep the board posted on the car's progress. I currently have the car cover over the car so that the rain doesn't do anything bad to the exposed metal.

BlazeKing

Animal accidents are the most common claim in BC, you are going to have to argue unless you get a nice claims adjuster. I hit a moose two years ago and they tried to screw me.

Rick89GTS

trialsmaster2":2idmk2od said:
....They located a brand new left hand mirror for me for $250 I think it was.....
$250?! Ouch. That's pretty steep for a side mirror that you can pull off any wrecked ST162 for about $20.

A

Anonymous

Rick,
That's the price for a brand new JDM folding power ST165 mirror. It's gotta be correct, ya know...

Aaron

trialsmaster2

Sorry, that last post was from me. What is with this having to sign in twice business??? Everytime that I post after signing in once, it shows me as being a guest??? Strange!

Aaron

Rick89GTS

Anonymous":3ik1652y said:
Rick,
That's the price for a brand new JDM folding power ST165 mirror. It's gotta be correct, ya know....Aaron
Oops, you're right. Sorry, I forgot you have a full JDM ST165. That's one time having a rare car hurts you; when you need parts. JDM is even more rare than the regular ST165s.

trialsmaster2

Good news from ICBC...thank goodness! I was armed with all kinds of facts about my car, photos from the scene, and a police report. As it turned out, the police report, car dents, and a couple of photos was all it took to prove that it was the deer that hit me! Now, I get to take my car to my choice of body shops. The estimator left the price of the mirror and spoiler off since their computer program couldn't tell them how much they would cost...they're picking up the cost of them though. The car estimating program only could let him choose between the Celica GT and GT-S...even the Alltrac wasn't in there. Anyways, I'm going to drive my car down to a body shop in Kelowna where they do all kinds of work on expensive hot rods etc. I figure they know a thing or two about fixing a car! Anyways, I'll keep this thread posted with any updates.

Aaron