Differential

A

Anonymous

I am looking at a 3sgte swap but i dont feel like doing the AWD swap also, how would the dif out of my tranny with the 1.6 litre engine do if i put that in the 3sgte tranny to keep FWD?

Plex

Just use the 3SGTE tranny.. but block off the output shaft for the rear tires... if you get what I mean.

CMS-GT4

You can, but there would be less power, and the center diff would burn up in a short amount of time. Just get an mr2 clip, that has the correct gearbox and it has lsd.

Plex

*shrug* is my explanation.

I'd assumed that would work, because isn't that how people make their all tracs into FWD?

A

Anonymous

isnt the all trac tranny made for...... the all trac motor???

Plex

Except for the fact that that site isn't finished and doesn't help.... good call on the research thing tho.

CMS-GT4

First, people do not make their alltracs into fwd cars. The only case of changing drive I have ever heard of was making an alltrac a rwd and dropping in a TT V8.

Next, you can make the alltrac 151 series gearbox go into a FF mode, but it can only be run in 3rd gear or higher, and has to be done for a shirt time to avoid burning up the center viscous lsd.

2nd, the 3sgte (alltrac/mr2 engine) can bolt up to quite a few gearboxes made by toyota. Everything from fwd, awd, and rwd.

3rd, the link that was posted is the source.
Except go here.
http://www.celica.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
The forum has a stickies in the forced induction section that has a complete how-to on using the mr2 gearbox, and making a fwd 3sgte powered celica.

And lastly. Mr2 clips vary, but are around the same cost as a gt4 clip. A few items have to be switched out on the engine, but for the most part, the mr2 would provide a more complete starting point. The only benifit of the gt4 clip is the tmic, and hood, which would not be provided in the mr2 setup.

Plex

Umm, actually people around here convert theirs to FWD only, to get rid of the drivetrain loss when power is going to the rear wheels.. but whatever.

Gary

Plex":1qurmmby said:
Umm, actually people around here convert theirs to FWD only, to get rid of the drivetrain loss when power is going to the rear wheels.. but whatever.
Not that they want to get rid of drivetrain loss, instead, they do FWD only because
1) AWD conversion is not practical.
2) FWD is much easier, they can just use MR2 tranny, Camry tranny, even stock 5sfe tranny.
3) Alltrac tranny will not work, no way no how unless you want to burn the center diff

CMS-GT4

Plex":25nwpkbc said:

So your claiming people are taking alltracs and making them FWD cars?

If so, I need their names and locations so I can come kick the living crap out of them.

Or do you mean that people do engine swaps and make fwd cars. Which would be using a fwd gearbox, in a fwd car. If so, yeah that happens all the time. Still a bad idea, but it happens.

Kyoto

This topic of diffs has been interesting me for a while. It seems almost all of the Japanese performance turbo/AWDs were released with some kind of LSD so by lacking one you'd have to assume that the 165s have an inherent disadvantage no? I have a couple of questions to ask before i decide whether to do anything with my setup (in the medium term future)...

- Is anyone able to give me an idea of the advantages and disadvantages of putting an LSD in the rear of a 165?

- Apparently the TRD website says you require two side gear shafts. What are these? Presumably two output shafts to the axles but i don't know...

- Being one of the very first GT-Fours my car has the manually locking centre differential. How will this affect the fitment of a rear LSD?

- Is the manually locking open diff in my car able to be swapped for a viscous coupling type?

- I know this one is possible, but is it going to be a major pain in the arse to replace my gearbox with a 205 box?

Thanks for the help as usual guys :)