Poll: Should I sell the alltrac?

What to do with the alltrc?

• Sell the alltrac

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep the alltrac

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

big_c_tothe_z

I am seriously debating whether or not I want to sell the alltrac. There are few cars I would rather have and I love the alltrac community. The problem is I am always either at work or have class and dont have that much time for the alltrac. Another thing influencing me is my lack of knowledge, this is the first car I have worked on by myself and so things move slowly. Alltracs arnt exactly known for their reliability and since I dont have a second car I was thinking of getting something a little newer and more reliable, maybe a 98-2001 rs2.5. Money isnt really too much of an issue, I can afford to fix most things that go wrong and all the upkeep. I feel the alltrac is the right car for me but I may not be the right owner for it. :cry:

AWDios

Stick to it. Plus when I was doing research on the 2.5, it seemed they had more costly problems than the average all trac.

Fastrac

Someone else looking to sell their Alltrac. :roll: What is the world coming to? As far as reliability, the car is a reliable as you make it. Get stupid with engine mods and it will break. Keep it reasonable and it will last you.

Fat Trac

do you expect anyone here to tell you to sell it? hell no! you got it, now you gotta live with the curse ;)

yoursymphonyinc

i've struggled with the same question... and if you think your car's expensive to keep up, the 165's are even more expensive because more shit's break'n on them since they're so old!

i've owned my car since May (i think...) and truthfully i've yet to feel like i own a fast/fun car, it's been a $$ drain, just to get it to run reliably and the list is still a mile long to get it performing back to STOCK condition! (turbo, dp, intake, suspension....)

BUT, when i save enough $ and can finally replace the broken parts that i've just been driving on anyways, the Alltrac will be a beast and will run down Subys... not bad for a car that cost $2700 (before it's weight in gold for repairs)

SuperWhite92

Hey Chaz, I get this feeling that you'd be rather disappointed with a 2.5RS. One of my very best friends has a 2001 RS and while it is a very nice car, with very nice comforts, it's also very expensive and very slow. He paid 12,500 for the '01 2 years ago when the car had 15k miles on the clock, and a salvage title. I know that they've gone down in price considerably, but the money it takes to buy one isn't anything to be sneezed at. The car will run 17.9's all day at bandimere, which is stock plus a Cobb Intake (woohoo). I realize how much is needed with your car, but I assure you that nothing will be more rewarding to you than when it all falls into place.

With that said, I would like to say that when I bought my alltrac, it had 137k miles on the clock, which isn't exactly a small amount, and I knew for a fact that the PO had driven the hell out of the car. He did his maintainance however, and I realized that he did take care of the car, such as resealing and repainting the car the second he took posession. When he got the car, it was leaking oil everywhere, and the paint looked like it had been driven through a barbed wire fence. The car served me very well, running a 15.7 on the stock 141k mile turbo, and once I got the T04E fitted in there, a 15.0. Unfortunately, the stock cap and rotor and wires (im not sure which exactly) decided that they'd had enough, and finally needed to be replaced. Then the car ran so strong that it annihilated the clutch, which had roughly 80k on it.

Aside from the clutch going bad, and the ignition pieces frying, my alltrac has never been what I would consider "unreliable." There are so many other cars that are far worse off reliability wise compared to the alltrac. It is a toyota, after all.

Any car is gonna be unfamiliar to you when you first get it, thats the way things are. All you can do is read up everywhere you can- the big green book, the fantastic internet, and just hanging out at the toyota dealership. Honestly, do you want to own a car and never work on it yourself?

Before making your decision, take a long hard look at what you already own, and what it'll be when it gets into what you consider Ideal. This is your chance to learn more about the car, or cars in general. If you can work on the alltrac with the engine still in the bay, you can work on anything short of a 3000gt. This is your chance to have the satisfaction of completing a project, and once it's all done, the experience will never be forgotten.

illGT4

keep the alltrac and buy another cheap dd .

the alltrac can be quite reliable. just has to be in good condition to begin with...

seriously.. there are a lot of used cars out there you could dd and have a lot of fun doing so.

and keep the alltrac, slowly learning it.

I'm not trying to be mean.. but if you sell the alltrac:

%99 you'll regret
%100 you didn't deserve it... not many remain...

Whatever you do, stick around the forum. :)

Peace.

big_c_tothe_z

Well if I didnt hate you guys for being so helpful and friendly Id probably sell it :p . Besides that, every time I look at the car I cant help but fall in love. My friends dad is coming over on Tuesday to help me work on it so hopefully something will get accomplished. I would really like another daily driver but I pay too much on insurance as it is, $160 a month for liability and thats with a spotless record, good student discount, and driving school. I figure Ill just get wasted one of these nights and do some illegal streetracing while making sure to hit pedestrians. Maybe that will lower my insurance cost, seems to work for my friends anyways. thx guys

illGT4

big_c_tothe_z":1t6kmktp said:
I figure Ill just get wasted one of these nights and do some illegal streetracing while making sure to hit pedestrians. Maybe that will lower my insurance cost, seems to work for my friends anyways. thx guys

Yes, it seems that hitting pedestrians DOES lower your car insurance... for years there has been a hidden point system for this.

Don't forget, Most of the time, handicapped people are worth double. And mothers with the children make for easy multiple scores...

:shoots:

mike325ci

illGT4":21zqpzqu said:
I'm not trying to be mean.. but if you sell the alltrac:
%99 you'll regret
you can say that again! :) not only regret, but you really miss it. i still miss my ST165 and i wonder where it is now-- the new owner hasn't come on this board yet, i don't think-- i told him about it, but i guess not... anyways, so now i'm back with an ST185, but i still prefer the lines of the ST165-- i'm old school, i guess.

Sifu

I'll make my post simple.

Alltrac purchase at $2,300. Didn't start (barely starts now), JDM engine, probably need new gaskets and seals all around, new clutch and flywheel and new clutch lines ($700+), new water pump ($250) and new timing belt, new starter. At least an extra $600+ of goodies sitting waiting for Project Money Pit to work. The car has been sitting for 2 years now, and it'll probably sit longer. I'm still guessing there will be about $1k in making it road worthy, let's not even get into how much money I will drop into making it a very quick car.

Would I still sell it? HELL NO! Rarity, reliability, and potential sleeper. Man, you would regret selling it.

Besides, you can get a brand new DD for decent prices nowadays and by all means I'm not Mr. Wallet (otherwise this car WOULD be on the road). I suggest getting a decent DD and working on the Alltrac. Totally do-able. Don't sell it just yet.

illGT4

Sifu":2yo5fznn said:
I suggest getting a decent DD and working on the Alltrac. Totally do-able. Don't sell it just yet.

I've been saying that for years..

you MUST have another car.. don't let the Alltrac be the only thing you can drive around! :)

Most of the time when owners change hands, it's very neglected. And needs on avg. of $1000 just to bring it back to normal.. It takes a LOT of patience. Buy as much of that as you can!

black88inmd

Don't sell it! I can gurantee you'll regret it. Pick up a cheap DD and take the alltrac off the road and stop the insurance on it. The DD will probably have cheaper insurance so thats more money into the alltrac. Plus you can get the jobs done that take longer then the time you have now since you have to have the car to drive.

Good luck with all of it :)

big_c_tothe_z

Wow calm down guys. This topic is old. Im not selling the alltrac that would be crazy. Although Im still struggling with it somewhat and sourcing out a cheap dd is a pain in the ass, since when is a 89 civic worth $3k, but what I really want is a 4th gen celica hatch but those are just as expensive if not more.

marklar88

I have owned my alltrac for 7 years, it has only been driveable for maybe, maybe fourteen months at the most. Right now the car is 5 feet in the air and the engine is on the ground, but soon it will be fixed(until of course it breaks again) and I wont even be phased by how much down time it has had in the last 7 years. Because it is an Alltrac! Everyone that knows what they are, what they can do, and how fun they are want one. so keep that in mind b4 you sell. In a few months time, you might be kicking yourself. Good luck!

theUNYTEDone

Most of the time when owners change hands, it's very neglected. And needs on avg. of $1000 just to bring it back to normal.. It takes a LOT of patience. Buy as much of that as you can!

amen to that 1000 dollars... :roll: