Simple Wiring Question for System 10

rawkus

Hello all,
Sorry to ask this, but I have been searching for hours with no luck. Will the Metrakit wire harness for 92-93 System 10 setups work on a 90 All Trac with System 10? Thanks in advance.
Dan

rawkus

Thanks for the quick reply. Does anyone offer a plug to fit that harness so I could use an aftermarket radio with the stock factory amp. Or are there other options I should consider? My whole goal is to not screw into the sheet metal on this car, so I would rather not have an aftermarket amp setup. I just want a working cd player. Thanks.
Dan

daveryan

I managed to replace my head/amp/subs in my '90 without drilling any holes or cutting up any harnesses. This Blau amp fit the stock amp mount perfectly - the screw holes line up. I'm sure any amp with a similar mounting tab could be drilled to match the factory holes though. I put some "feet" on the rear two holes to keep it level.

blauqj5.jpg

Area under the seat with seat removed

Just bought the generic (non-system 10) Toyota harness adapter and plugged it into the secondary(?) harness on the car for the head and midrange/tweeters. Ran fresh wire to the amp and subs. (The door "tubes" were a pain though)

I did cut the 8" speaker mounts to fit these $25 Dayton DC200-8 woofers from www.partsexpress.com The surrounds on my stock 8s were shredded. I highly recommend these for inexpensive stock replacement, and they actually kick harder than the OEM.

woofhm0.jpg

woof2zo4.jpg

Dayton on left, stocker on right

My whole system - Blau head unit, amp and subs cost me only $150. Gotta love eBay! That's how much I spent fixing the factory head unit, which blew again months later.

rawkus

Your setup looks good. I know that the stock amp has to have line level inputs, and if I had a wire diagram I could easily make my own harness from a standard harness. I have been in car audio for many years now, gone and done some nuts setups in cars, and I am just not interested in doing anything more then putting in a new head unit. If someone has a wire diagram for the stock radio, I will gladly make people wire harnesses for a small fee, but I need that wire diagram to be able to do it. I am sure I can figure it out, but I want to put as little effort as possible into this :D
Dan

daveryan

You may want to consider wiring in a switch for the power antenna since you might loose the auto-down feature when you switch to CD that the sys 10 has, depending on the head unit you choose of course. I did this since I rarely listen to the radio.

I found this switch at Lowes (hardware store) that fits perfectly in the shifter bezel's factory hole, just remove the blanking panel and snap it in.

switchbr1.jpg

(I'm actually using this switch for an IC fan, my antenna switch is in another location)

Also note the Alltrac has two antennas - the power mast and one embedded in the rear window. Either one will work fine on it's own.

rawkus

I have constant power, power, ground, illumination, and amp turn on figured out, still working on signal, Toyota did it all the bastard way.
Dan

rawkus

I think there is a reason Metra never made a kit for 90-91. I am still trying to figure out the signal input for the amp. I am completely confused. If someone has an idea let me know.
Dan

jprine01

I traced the wires that go from the back of the radio to the amp under the seat and figured out what wires are the input. Then i spliced into the wires in the dash (behind radio) and spliced on 2 rca connectors, and connected them to my front output on my radio. 8" speakers work fine like this, they are a little quiet compaired to the other speakers but still sounds way better then not having the 8's. When i get some extra money I'm going to replace all the speakers and use a real amp.

rawkus

I know what the inputs are, but there is only a single input per channel. Basically just a positive per channel. There appears to be a SGND, which I assume is a universal signal ground, but I cannot for the life of me get that to work properly. If you can tell me what wires to connect to an RCA I could finish this up no prob.
Dan

jprine01

Yeah I do remember using a single ground wire, but i dont remember what the colors were or anything. And my car isnt here, i am rebuilding the engine so :/ cant really go look at it. Ill look in the wiring diagrams later if i get a chance. Mine is also 90 so colors should be the same.

Basically i just cut a old pair of rca cables close to the connectors, then spliced the wires together with nuts. I made good connections and put it all together, then went to test it out and one of the speakers wasnt working. So I pulled it out again, stripped more off and made sure it was really good, put it back together and it worked. They sound good just not as loud as the other speakers really, needs to be more bass.

jprine01

Hey damn i looked it up and totally forgot to reply. You probably already did it by now, but once i found the right place in the manual.. I remember what i did was go from the plug on the picture. There are 2 grounds one says GND other says SGND or something like that, you want the signal ground one not the general GND. If you need me to scan that page in the wiring section in the back of my manual i can.
Jon-

rawkus

Yeah, I tried signal ground, and couldn't get anywhere with that, I just got a ton of feedback when I tried that. Not sure what else to try.
Dan

tweekgt4

to add to this...

the 8" door sub speaker wiring can be found in the passenger side kick panel (at least in my 91 st185).

you'll should see two sets of wires, some thin and thick ones.

the sub speaker wires should be wrapped in a black tubing (like the cigarette lighter wiring) and the pair you are trying to find is the thick wires.

look for a solid blue with gray dots and a solid light green with gray dots.

Stubble

OK, I'm attempting the install as daveryan describes, but I'm having to hold the salesman's hand as I figure out the bits I need, and I need a little clarification myself.
First, is this unused plug the one that a standard Toyota stereo harness adapter will plug into (not the Metra 70-8112)?

stdstereoplug7hu.jpg

Second, I came across a mention in another thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=677 that talks about plugging into 2 harnesses, but this is just confusing me. If I'm following the daveryan method and installing a separate, I don't need to touch these two plugs, correct? And are these the two plugs?
2extraplugs8iz.jpg

I don't suppose anyone has the metra # for the standard Toyota stereo harness?

calgarygts

Those are the two plugs and you do want to use them. Those are the wires going to the speakers after the amp, so use the non system 10 aftermarket harnesses with those two harnesses and you don't have to cut any wires!
I just finished doing this no more than two minutes ago and it works great, but you don't get the use of the subs in the doors. If you want those get a two channel amp to replace the stock one under the seat and wire straight to the subs from the amp (someone mentioned these sub wires being in the passenger side kick panel).