im scared and need some tipe of answer

3SGTEWRC

last night i removed the o2 sensor (the one located in the factory cat) an the sensor is white is this normal? that does it mean? whould i be scared :shrug: ?

Griffin

yeah its normal if you live in Cali - something they put in the gas causes white deposits in the exhaust - probably unrefined sulphur.

Griffin

edv-tek":1it8z64b said:
Say is it true that you guys out in Cali have to live with 91 octane. Say it isn't so :cry: .

Yup state regulation. Mind you you can still go and get 100 or 103 at the race shop, but we basically have to run the 91 horse piss for day to day use.

Rick89GTS

Here in BC, Canada, we have up to 94 octane but it's fuckin' expensive, averaging about C$3.60 or US$2.75 per gallon :shoots:

MrWOT

If it was coolant the ECU would throw a code. Getting either coolant or any kind of silicate on an O2 sensor will ruin it instantly. If you want to test that, get an old O2 sensor, clamp it in a vice with a voltmeter attatched, then heat it up with a blow torch and test it (normal readings are 0.1V - 0.8V), then spray it with coolant/or coolant smoke, it will either put way WAY lower voltages (0.07 or lower) or will stop completely. This is one reason you never want to use silicate adhesives on your manifold or head gasket, even the slightest ammount will cost you an O2 sensor if it gets in the intake exhaust tract :D

(edit sp)

alltracman78

you are proably good. Depending on mileage, won't hurt to replace. You can get at dealership (best) or go to auto store, get 4 wire, and wire into yours.

gearhead313

MrWOT":3aurbdud said:
If it was coolant the ECU would throw a code. Getting either coolant or any kind of silicate on an O2 sensor will ruin it instantly. If you want to test that, get an old O2 sensor, clamp it in a vice with a voltmeter attatched, then heat it up with a blow torch and test it (normal readings are 0.1V - 0.8V), then spray it with coolant/or coolant smoke, it will either put way WAY lower voltages (0.07 or lower) or will stop completely. This is one reason you never want to use silicate adhesives on your manifold or head gasket, even the slightest ammount will cost you an O2 sensor if it gets in the intake exhaust tract :D

(edit sp)

i'd agree if it started dumping coolant through the motor, but i've had ones where water would just start seeping out from somewhere, not causing total meltdown, but enough to lean it out and cause this condition.

.....or, boost makes heat. could be just from the lil bugger getting hot from high egt's.

Indy3sgte

If you want to test that, get an old O2 sensor, clamp it in a vice with a voltmeter attatched, then heat it up with a blow torch and test it (normal readings are 0.1V - 0.8V)
Should I test mine this way? where I put the voltmeter?

Thanks
Dan