Removing Charcoal Canister

ChrisD

Gary":nps26qlm said:
Chris, where does you place the fuel filter or the vent tube, down in the engine bay?

Sorry for the delay, missed this thread.

My filter is a little one with a rubber hose going to it from the fuel line. On the other side of the filter, I ran another rubber hose down into the fender well through a hole that was there. The filter itself is in the engine bay, placed up in that little corner behind the strut tower on the drivers side.

:)

mtbgael

92 All-Trac":3ve21mnm said:
I don't remember if there is much room, but how about using a smaller canister and relocating it to somewhere in the rear under the vehicle like most cars have it.

The canister is there for a reason, to contain fuel vapors and route them to the intake, so why get rid of it? It's not hurting performance. It may be easier to get rid of the thing, but then you still have to find a way to get rid of the fuel smell.

Weight. It's not much, but it's weight, and it's on the front end.

Brui

and where is the charcoal canister tube ? I know one inthe middle is for the fuel filter and what are these two tubes on the right and two on the left for... and one on the right side of the fender, looks like a plastic tube to me with a breather...

Thanks

goldfish

I'd like to hear if anyone has ever actually smelt fuel after removing the canister? I never have and I've had it removed for 2 years. People always say that you will have a smell, but are those people that have actually had a smell, or just read that you will have a smell? :) Maybe it happens on other cars, and people assume it will happen on ours? And who's engine bay is 10000 degrees - i really hope mine isn't ;-)

So there is a hose connection bolted to the fender wall inside the bay next to the fuel filter. I took the hose that was connected to the fuel tank, and connected that to the hose on the top of this connector. On that connector is a hard line that just goes to the bottom of the engine bay - which lets it vent out. So, i didn't do anything fancy with a filter and I haven't had any problems. Maybe if i raced my car on dirt in the desert that might be another story, but I think that removing this thing is very simple and it tends to be made into something scary or super complex. Fortunately, my engine is out of the car right now and i can take a pic of what i mean:

cc.jpg

The standard disclaimer: if you kill yourself because you take the advice (or screw up the advice) of some guy on the internet that you dont even know...that is your fault - let your ghost go haunt someone else.

jprine01

i remember it being one of them rusty ones in the bottom right area, not the black smaller ones??? but im not all that sure I've only taken it apart once.

Brui

still need help please, where those two lines on the left top go..one is for the Charcoal canister for sure but what is the other one for and which is which... :shrug: :doh: can't find it anyware...

Gary

Update.
I adopt David's (Goldfish) method.
Here are some illustrations.
Warning: read the disclaimer below

1) Study and understand the system first!
evap0ca.jpg

2) Remove the charcoal canister, unplug all the hoses from the canister.
Make sure you know where it comes from and where it goes to.
Plug the hose going to TVV using a small screw.
I use a nylon fitting to connect the hose from the gas tank
to the hose that connect to the check valve
16ju.jpg

3) There is a check valve that is plugged to the fender wall.
This is the one that connect to the bottom of the canister to let fresh air from fender well IN
25gx.jpg

4) Switch the direction of the check valve.
We will need to let the air OUT in order to release the pressure from the tank.
34ir.jpg

5) Plug the check valve back to the fender wall.
Connect the hose from the gas tank to the hose that lead to check valve.
In the future, I might add a small inline plastic fuel filter (from lawn mower?)
Right now, I just can't find a correct size (so I don't have to use a reducer)
43zi.jpg

0334cz.jpg

Disclaimer: Removing charcoal canister and/or modification of EVAP system are dangerous and may be illegal depending on where you live and use of the car. Do at your own risk. If your car caught on fire, you get caught, fined, or you and/or your passengers die or injure, etc.. do not blame me. I will not be held responsible for anything resulting from following above modification.
Do at your own risk!

shoteh

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but Gary have you noticed any extra smell or other activity after this mod? j/w because since my engine is out, I was thinking about doing the same as well. inputs? kudos to goldfish and gary for the ideas.

-also have you since put in a filter at all? I wasnt quite sure about why you would really need one since you're just venting it out but maybe I'm just clueless right now.

Gary

No smell whatsoever.
I did add a filter but I think you are right.
The check valve only lets the vapor out.
Nothing's going in anyway.

furpo

all i did was to move the fuel tank breather to up near the filler cap, i included a U shape in the breater pipe so that if the car flipped over it would not leak fuel.

roger