Rally skidplate/s for ST165

A

Anonymous

A question for those of you who rally your ST165's:

I have a ST162 ('86 GT-S) which I intend to use for gravel TSD rallies. Is there any company that makes skidplates for your cars? If no, then what kind of skidplates do you guys use and I would really appreciate it if someone could post or email me a dimensioned sketch of your skidplates.

fulcrumdriver at hotmail dot com

Thanks in advance.

Richard

yoursymphonyinc

Well, I personally dont have one... yet... but i know of one guy who does. he made it cheaply himself and it worked Really well i thought. his name on here is PreGrid, in oregon. might try giving him a PM

A

Anonymous

yoursymphonyinc":k6cmdkap said:
Well, I personally dont have one... yet... but i know of one guy who does. he made it cheaply himself and it worked Really well i thought. his name on here is PreGrid, in oregon. might try giving him a PM

Thanks Jim. I have PM'ed him. :)

PreGrid

Sorry it took so long to reply... Been REALLY busy.

The plate I built was of HDPE (High-Density Poly-Ethylene) that I templated and installed. The front "plate" is 5/8 thick and covers from the front bumper to the cross member and the rear plate is 1/4 inch and buttons up the rest of the underside all the way back and over the rear diff.

The stuff is SUPER strong, has an incredibly high burn/melt (flash) point. It it SLICK which means unlike aluminum or steel, it takes a solid hit and slides over the rock or whatever and doesn't DENT. Metal will leave an impression that creates a bigger "gotcha" for the next rock... and so on... and so on... HDPE allow you to slide over rocks, deep gravel or whatever over and over again with no major remnant damage.

It is easily cut with a Jig Saw (wear goggles as if flings alot of crap).

You will need to add a few mount points to the underside of the chassis to which you will bolt the HTPE.

These plates made it through the Oregon Trail Pro Rally with stock springs on the car (meaning I bottomed out ALOT) without denting or damaging a single thing underneath.

I LOVE the stuff!!!!

Scott@pregrid.com
If you Race, you need Sponsors
If you need Sponsors...
You need PreGrid
www.pregrid.com

PreGrid

I got mine at a place called Tap Plastics in Portland but just about any industrial plastics counter should have it. It comes in many different colors if memory serves and in different thicknesses, strengths and temp ratings.

I got the opaque/white stuff as it seemes to be the strongest and hold the highest temp ratings.

I don't actually have any pics of the plates under the car... I guess whenever I'm under there, I don't have a camera handy. LOL!!!

I do need to get some pics though. Maybe I can borrow a firend's lift and take a few snap shots here soon.

JUST FOR CLARITY - This stuff is called HDPE or High Density Poly Ethylene... not Eurathane as I mistated before. Sorry :)

Scott
-------
www.pregrid.com

Rally Guy

I'll second the UHMWPE recommendation. Just built one this morning for my GT4. Ran one on my stage rally car for winter evnets until moving to aluminum for gravel stage rallies.

The GT4 will only do TSD's (But they are Drivex - so pretty quick - we've been airborne) and it should do fine.

RK

tweekgt4

think you can snap some pics next time your car is lifted?

PreGrid":atkwm0p7 said:
I got mine at a place called Tap Plastics in Portland but just about any industrial plastics counter should have it. It comes in many different colors if memory serves and in different thicknesses, strengths and temp ratings.

I got the opaque/white stuff as it seemes to be the strongest and hold the highest temp ratings.

I don't actually have any pics of the plates under the car... I guess whenever I'm under there, I don't have a camera handy. LOL!!!

I do need to get some pics though. Maybe I can borrow a firend's lift and take a few snap shots here soon.

JUST FOR CLARITY - This stuff is called HDPE or High Density Poly Ethylene... not Eurathane as I mistated before. Sorry :)

Scott
-------
www.pregrid.com