Aftermarket Intake Manifold? . . .

gearhead313

Does anyone know if there are side feed aftermarket intake manifolds out there? Im just got my motor out and am looking into different things i would like to get. I've seen some custom ones, but i didn't know if anyone actually produced one.

alltracman78

Looks nice, but I'm not too enthusiastic about the square plenum. The change from plenum to runner should be a curve, not a corner.

*The JUN one is really pretty, and looks to be more efficient. Keep in mind a manifold for a MR2 probably won't fit into your car without mod. Also, the manifold probably won't make much difference 'till you get bigger tb/cams/headwork (maybe), ect. :shrug: *

Colin T

Well, it's not necessarily HP numbers I look at with the intake. It allows you to run the intercooler piping along the side, not directly next to the turbo. Also, and this is the biggest issue, it allows each cylinder to get fed more evenly than with the stock intake manifold. Notice why everybody puts their EGT probe on the 3rd exhaust manifold runner, that's the cylinder that runs the leanest, because of the way the intake manifold is dog-legged. This almost elimintates that.

Colin

mtbgael

I thought one of the big advantages to an aftermarket intake manifold is that they will solve the problem of 2 of the cylinders running leaner than the rest, not just increased efficiency...

edit: someone posted while I was...heh

RedCelicaTRD

Just use an 86-89 celica gts with the 3sge intake manifold. It bolts onto the ST165 and ST185 and you can get them for cheap.

alltracman78

Snafubmx234":1uqj9f99 said:
Well, it's not necessarily HP numbers I look at with the intake. It allows you to run the intercooler piping along the side, not directly next to the turbo. Also, and this is the biggest issue, it allows each cylinder to get fed more evenly than with the stock intake manifold. Notice why everybody puts their EGT probe on the 3rd exhaust manifold runner, that's the cylinder that runs the leanest, because of the way the intake manifold is dog-legged. This almost elimintates that.

Colin

Agreed. I personally wouldn't pay $$$ for a intake manifold that would mess up flow. I am not too sure what the flow charicteristics are of that particular manifold, but I know air prefers to flow in a smooth curve instead of a sharp corner.

alltracman78

RedCelicaTRD":t80295uw said:
Just use an 86-89 celica gts with the 3sge intake manifold. It bolts onto the ST165 and ST185 and you can get them for cheap.
Good tip :wink:
It will also eliminate the T-VIS on the 185.

billprice

alltracman78":3um1jxtd said:
Looks nice, but I'm not too enthusiastic about the square plenum. The change from plenum to runner should be a curve, not a corner.

*The JUN one is really pretty, and looks to be more efficient. Keep in mind a manifold for a MR2 probably won't fit into your car without mod. Also, the manifold probably won't make much difference 'till you get bigger tb/cams/headwork (maybe), ect. :shrug: *

This is the manifold that I use. I can verify it is far superior to the stock or the JUN. Call Tom and talk to him about it before you take this advice. BTW, I don't see any "corners" in the change from plenum to runner. Beauty, I guess, is truly in the eyes of the beholder. And just because the JUN "looks" to be more efficient, does not mean that it is. Get some cfm ratings and compare and I'll bet you will be surprised. As far as "a MR2 probably won't fit into your car without mod"......LOL.......all I will say is, wrong.

billprice

alltracman78":ap8771n2 said:
Agreed. I personally wouldn't pay $$$ for a intake manifold that would mess up flow. I am not too sure what the flow charicteristics are of that particular manifold, but I know air prefers to flow in a smooth curve instead of a sharp corner.

Just where are these sharp corners to which you allude? I suppose you would think that if the plenum were round it would flow more? Not. Once you fill the plenum, moving the air FROM the plenum to the intake is where flow dynamics takes place. If you will look at the inside view of the plenum, you will see that all the runners have smooth flowing characteristics. Again, I encourage you to call Tom Ross (410-575-6100), or email him (turbotom@rossmachine.com) and ask him anything you like. Compare cfm or flow ratings btween stock and/or JUN and his manifold. It is a work of art. We got 35+ wheel horsepower more by going to this manifold. I want to stress though, that my stock exhaust manifold was changed at the same time and I do have 264 degree cams, so the extra 35+ horsepower was not from the intake manifold alone! But common sense tells you that you can't pick up 35 wheel horsepower from the exhaust alone either! I think a fair assessment would be 15-20 whp from the manifold, depending on your mods, which would be 18-24 at the crank. Not too bad for your outlay of hard earned money, and the bonus effect of not having the problem of running lean in any cylinder.

gearhead313

I think any manifold will make more power than the stock st165 manifold whose runners are about 47miles long. My main consern was intercooler piping. Making it that much easier to get things plumbed makes me happy.

What people never realize when talking about intake manifolds is that there isn't a constant rush of charge running through it. I mean, there is, but its not constant. When intake valves close, and you have a few hundred cfm of air coming at it, where does it have to go but bouncing off the intake vavles, surging back up into the manifold. The design of the tank is very important to controlling these surge's that happen at a very high and erratic movement.

One of the only companys that has addressed this and has made VERY high hp numbers is the JDM manifold for nissan maxima's. Theirs is a very complicated dual runner design that is engineered amazingly and supposedly has put down over 50hp or something like it on USDM motors. Its been a while since i've been over to the nissan world, so im probably not real clear on it. It was definitly something very sought after though.

billprice

LOL.....whatever. It's your money and decision. As far as $35......LOL. Take your own shot at it if you think it's that easy.....I'd like to see the results.

gearhead313

billprice":2a64c1on said:
LOL.....whatever. It's your money and decision. As far as $35......LOL. Take your own shot at it if you think it's that easy.....I'd like to see the results.

honestly, i have a lot of experience in fabrication and i know what it takes to produce all sorts of different product. If i had the time, and a good enough welder to weld the aluminum, it wouldn't be hard at all. Scrap is up around here, so the materials could be a little more....maybe taking the total project to $65 :p

I was hoping for something a little more engineered and smoothed over for $700. Also, im not going to knock it not making power, im sure anything you make that accepts a 70mm TB and big runners will make more power than the stocker....

billprice

You are certainly entitled to your own opinion....wrong or right. But methinks if I had that much ego, I would run for President. You could be just what this country needs right now.