The ST185 wheel size thread (offsets, widths, etc)

AWDios

Ok it looks like I'll have 17x9's 30ET w/ 245/40/17's on the car very shortly.

What should I be anticipating with this? Light rubbing? Where? Fender Rolling? Front and rear?

If I can get the rims and some tires before friday, I'm going to do a rallyx in them so I'd like to be as prepared as possible.

CMS-GT4

Roll the rear fenders. Depending on tire size, you may have little to no rubbing. If anything you may need to run some small 5mm or so spacers for some minor adjustments, but from what we have seen, you should be ok. Keep us posted. We are all excited to see the results. BTW: What tires are you using?

AWDios

If the wheels are going to get here before friday then I'm going to just get whatever rubber I can to have them ready for the Rally school in Oregon.

Otherwise I think I'll be going for S-03's

If this works eventually I'll have two sets of 17x9's one for street and one for track, so for now I need a tire that will do both. Afterwards I'll probably put on Toyo RA-1's. That's what most of the guys up here seem to prefer.

furpo

just been out and measured my narrow body car in the rain.

i measured from the hub to to strut i get 170mm on the back and 160mm on the front. it is quite differcult measuring with the rim on the car. i got it as accurate as possable. i was woundering if this is also the meaurement for wide body cars? (is same offset required for a widebody car as a narrow body car?)

from the strut to the gaurd i measured 260mm on the front and 280mm on the rear.

out of curiosity i measured my rim width at 210mm or 8inches. i was woundering how rims are measured? i have never checked the marking on the back of the hub to know what size they are, they however, do no look like 8 inch rims.

roger

furpo

i have been doing a bit of research and have found three companies that are helpful

enkei have most of there 17's available in 17 x 8 all at 35 offset. the RPF1 weighs 15.6 lbs. www.enkei.com there are lots of different types of mags listed.

OZ racing have the Superleggra in silver; 17 x 8 at 35mm offset weighing 7.7 kg and the Clase PL in 17 x 8 at 35mm offset weighing 10.2 kg

Rays - volk - works have a large selection of wheels and offsets. i looked at the gram lights range which comes in either 17 x 7.5 or 17 x 8.5. these come in whatever offset you want and weigh about 6 or 7 kg. there is a works emotion (i think that is what it is called) which is available in the same size as well.

the oz racing and rays engineering wheels are quite pricey but the enkeis where quite well priced.

does anyone know if the 35 offset will work? from what i have worked out it should on the narrow body car anyway. also what is meant by the bore diameter. the enkeis are 73mm?

roger

CMS-GT4

C-One now offers a wheel for the celica for around 30,000yen each.

17x8 +32.

sa70.jpg

Playfortoday

OK guys... I have about five of these threads stickied, and I reviewed all of them. Also, I have been search the web for about four hours now, and I am having no luck. I still am unsure what size and brand I should go with. Maybe the answer is out there, but all of the jargon is confusing sometimes.

I would like whatever size wheel and tire that I go with to fill the wheel wells (as flush with fenders as possible) without rubbing the fenders or requiring me to roll them. Here is my set up:

Stock suspension, no wheel spacers. Currently running some lame 16" generic alloys with stock offsets. They look pathetic and sunker in from the fender lip.

Since I am going to be spending loads o' cash on new wheels and tires, I was hoping there is a wheel and tire combo out there that can help me to avoid having to spend extra money on H&R wheel spacers. However, if there is a sweet as size combination out there that mates up to the H&R spacers brilliantly, then I am game I guess.

I was looking at getting a 16(preferably due to weigh) or 17 inch wheels as wide as possible(or with an agressive offset) without having to place a custom order. The wheel style that I like best so far is the Enkei ZR1 in SBC or the OR52 in Anthracite. There are others brands out there that I like better but the enkei's seem cheaper. I am open to any brand with a similar styling to those too. Under $200 preferably.

Thanks in advance!

furpo

Playfortoday":25e9frsw said:
OK guys... I have about five of these threads stickied, and I reviewed all of them. Also, I have been search the web for about four hours now, and I am having no luck. I still am unsure what size and brand I should go with. Maybe the answer is out there, but all of the jargon is confusing sometimes.

I would like whatever size wheel and tire that I go with to fill the wheel wells (as flush with fenders as possible) without rubbing the fenders or requiring me to roll them. Here is my set up:

Stock suspension, no wheel spacers. Currently running some lame 16" generic alloys with stock offsets. They look pathetic and sunker in from the fender lip.

Since I am going to be spending loads o' cash on new wheels and tires, I was hoping there is a wheel and tire combo out there that can help me to avoid having to spend extra money on H&R wheel spacers. However, if there is a sweet as size combination out there that mates up to the H&R spacers brilliantly, then I am game I guess.

I was looking at getting a 16(preferably due to weigh) or 17 inch wheels as wide as possible(or with an agressive offset) without having to place a custom order. The wheel style that I like best so far is the Enkei ZR1 in SBC or the OR52 in Anthracite. There are others brands out there that I like better but the enkei's seem cheaper. I am open to any brand with a similar styling to those too. Under $200 preferably.

Thanks in advance!

unless you buy two different offsets of wheels it will be impossable to fill the fenders on the front and rear without fitting rear wheel spacers.

if you measure the distance on your car from the hub to fender you will be able to figure out where it rim is in relation to the fender for a given wide and offset of mag. i have the measurements for a narrow body car but this will not help you much but i can post them up if you want.

roger

CMS-GT4

Found more wheel options. This company will make wheels, any offset, bolts pattern, and width for around 1,800/set. I am getting prices on 17" wheels from them.

The wheel is a 3 peice wheel, and if you dmaage part of it, you just buy the part you need. Spend 100 bucks to fix a wheel, rather 500 for a new one. The price is good if you concider the cost of volks in simular sizes. They are also light racing wheels.

http://www.ccwheel.com/files/home.php

CMS-GT4

Here is another 185 in japan with a simular tire setup to the garage cruise car.

Specs:

hideki":k54onc0x said:
He is a friend of mine.

Not sure about the offset now (17-9J)
It has the PCD changer(spacer: PCD 100mm->114.3mm) and looked t=25 or 30mm

Tire
Front 245/40
Rear 225/45
(Before ,F&R 255/40 )

pippy555-img480x455-1118137717rgr-w.jpg

m1.JPG

m5.JPG

ruffneck

Ok so shopping for new wheels to fit my Rocketeer brake package, I'm looking at G.Max 6 spoke wheels, 17*8 with a 45 mm offset..u guys think this will fit ok? I thought I would need a lower offset but the guy at the shop was telling me that because the actual rim is wider, it moves the wheel further out so the offset can be a little bit higher and still fit> What you all reckon?, or are there too many factors to say? If so like what?

CMS-GT4

Here is my .2 one wheel fitment.

We all, especially before we had much understanding about wheel size and offset were/are looking for an easy answer for wheel fitment. Here is the best way to go about it.

• Get the specs on the wheels you currently have. Width, offset.

• With the car on a level ground, then measure the distance from the fender lip to the wheel. Then of course.... write it down.

• Then measure the distance from the inside of the wheel to the strut and anything else that the lip of the rim might be close to and could hit if wider.

• Then use one of the offset calculators we listed and see what changes.

The goal tends to be get further from the strut and closer to the fender lip.

You can go with a lower offset in the rear but many of us choose to run spacers to 1) get wheels cheaper as a set, 2) rotate tires.

If you choose not to run a rear spacer you can go very low and have a dipped or dished look wheel.

I would estimate if a 17x9 wheel w/ 30et comes close to flush with the fender, on a 25mm spacer then a 17x9 w/ 5et will fit the same w/o the spacer.

SuperWhite92

okay, how about massive spacers to both clear the strut and get the good flush look? does that sound good to you.

Actually, I found that stock 2.5RS wheels and wrx don't fit at all on the rears. They're both somewhere around a 50 offset. They hit the strut .

My vote goes to buying Celica/Toyota offset rims rather than Subaru

AWDios

ok my 17x9 30et's are almost flush with no spacer. I worry that with the spacer they'd actually stick out.