how often do I need to bleed my stock brakes?

QIK_GT4

I will be changing my brake pads soon and was wondering if I needed to bleed the brakes? the brake pedal feels good atm and if im doing a standard brake pad change would i have to bleed it? my friend reckons I you have to bleed emm everytime u change ur pads and im like WTF?

QIK_GT4

thats what I told him! man the dudes a fool :lol:

coz i remember my mechanic didn't bleed nothing when he changed my brakes.. so now that i'm doing it my self i was just curious..

RIalltrac

I've also found that fluid that is extremely old once changed does make a difference. So if you think that the fluid in there is what came off the assembly line I would consider flushing the system, but at the moment is not neccessary to do.

QIK_GT4

is there a difference between bleeding them and flushing it all out? anyone have a write up of the proper procedure? my friend says u gotta do it in order form back to front? :shrug:

suprakid95

yup you gota start with the one farthest away from the reservoir, then the one oppostie, just bleeding them is like flushing them. i think....

QIK_GT4

ok heres the main question how do I COMPLETELY change the brake fluid over without getting air into the system and not mixing the two fluids? I SHOULDN'T drain the brake system dry right?

TomsGT4

To flush the system I just bleed out twice the capacity that the lines & resevoir hold (not sure what it exaclty is right now),
making sure to always top off the resevoir up front.
I do this from the rear driver side.
Then I bleed the other 3 corners as well in this order:
1. Rear Passenger
2. Front Driver
3. Front Passenger (with ABS).
Never let the resevoir go empty when topping it off.
I don't think it matters if it mixes in the process, because the ratio of old to new fluid when done is very small.

Oh yeah,
& don't re-use brake fluid that has been sitting on the shelf half-full for a long time.
There's a chance that the cap might not have been on tight & moisture got in.
I know some of you have a half full bottle sitting on the shelf of your garage right now.
So go on, get out there & throw it away :)
It's not expensive, just get a new bottle.

Also, careful taking off the bleeding-nut on the calipers.
Soak 'em good first.
They can break easy, especially if they are old.
I've done this once before.
Cursin' & throwing sh*t.

GMan

> QIK_GT4
> Location: Sydney, Australia
> Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:17 am
> Post subject: how often do I need to bleed my stock brakes?
> would i have to bleed it?

No not 'need' to. Good to flush out the old though
occasionally.

> my friend reckons I you have to bleed emm everytime
> u change ur pads and im like WTF?

Not a Bad idea. :) Rather cheap insurance.

# TomsGT4
# Location: Windsor Ontario, Canada
# Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:29 pm
# Oh yeah,
# & don't re-use brake fluid that has been sitting on
# the shelf half-full for a long time.

All Very good advice. :)

# There's a chance that the cap might not have been on
# tight & moisture got in.

The same thing happens In the car, Brake fluid can absorb some
moisture. It could lead to rusting the lines from the inside
over time.

Worth it to change the fluid when it starts to turn brown.
Which Might be after a year or two depending on how hard the
brakes are used ?

esracing

bleed your brakes evry 10k or one year .i race toyotas and work for toyota .the more the better less problems with calipers failing.

Gurr

Okay why does everyone think that you bleed the rear passenger? because I KNOW FOR A FACT that you don't on the 165. You have to bleed the passenger front first. If you'd like an explanation on why. Look at the braking system diagrams with abs. You'll understand then. I believe it is the same on teh 185 but not completely positive.

Hope this helps.

pepper

TomsGT4":x5cz2ovb said:
Isn't the 165's ABS actuator in the rear?

Yes, hence the need to bleed the 165 from the front first. Although without ABS you'd bleed the rears first.

The 185 acutator is in engine compartment front right, where the cruise control unit is on the 165. So you would bleed the rears first on the 185.

-Mike

Chai

This is an old post but I got a question. If I was to change my brake fluid from DOT 4 to I don't know DOT 5 would I still just keep bleeding and toping it off? I heard that it is not good to mix different grades of brake fluids.

pepper

Chai":2etgw7qm said:
This is an old post but I got a question. If I was to change my brake fluid from DOT 4 to I don't know DOT 5 would I still just keep bleeding and toping it off? I heard that it is not good to mix different grades of brake fluids.

No, you don't want to mix grades but, except for DOT 5, this is because mixing gives you a lower boiling point than the new fluid has. DOT 3, 4 and 5.1 are all chemically compatible so there's no other harm done by mixing. You just need to flush all the old stuff out and you do that by just repeatedly doing the normal bleeding process. Normally your old fluid will have turned brownish and the new stuff is completely clear, so it's just a matter of bleeding each wheel until nothing but clear comes out.

A pressure bleeder works well for this, but it can be done by the old pump the pedal method. I've mentioned this before, but I found this tool to be some of the best bucks I've ever spent: http://www.motiveproducts.com/02bleeders.html I got the "Pro" kit since I work on a few other cars besides the alltrac. Since I got it, I've been flushing and changing my brake fluid regularly, and it makes it easy to do right before a track day, for example.

One final note: Although there's some debate on the matter, the general consensus seems to be that DOT 5 is not good to use, unless the system is designed from the beginning to use it. (A search online will bring up lots on the debate.) So if you wanted to go better than DOT 4 go to DOT 5.1.

-Mike

//Zee-Roh//

This reminds me of the whole windows 3.1 3.11 4.0 etc... Isn't the bigger the number, the better LOL...

I can use 5.1 in my car, but not 5?