powerprimers

RIalltrac

The biggest difference your going to find would be mods vs. wheel horse power figures. The only thing you can compare hp wise would be crank figures. Less drive train loss = higher whp

ChrisD

Theres a few things i really dont like about that primer...but in theory all the principles can be applied to our cars. And yes, if you had a given WHP for an mr2, with the same mods, you would be roughly 5% lower on an alltrac in AWHP terms.

RIalltrac

Theres a few things i really dont like about that primer

Care to share, I read that primer on a fairly regular basis. Kinda hoping one day some of it will stick. I'd like to know what you disagree with, for comparison reasons that is.

CMS-GT4

I would like to see a primer on HP vs. torque in the 3sgte.

TTE made 300hp and 600lbs/tq in the rally car. I want to know how to increase tq in such a way. I have been told to study diesel engines. Since many provide larger tq numbers then hp. I have also been told VE plays a huge role.

BraveUlysses

The TTE engine would have more HP but it has to have a restrictor on the intake, so in reality the engine would make more hp if it could breathe more, but still makes the torque.

alltracman78

Max torque in a engine occurs at the rpm that the engine is at it's most effecient [the point it's at it's best VE].

HP is just a factor of the torque x rpms. If the hp were limited by a restrictor, so would the torque.

CMS-GT4

That is what I thought. But how is it that tq can be higher then hp?
with 300hp, and 600 tq.
I know of several well tuned cars that produce higher tq then hp. One is a volvo, and it produces almost 100 more lbs of tq then hp.

Gary

CMS-GT4":2rcsieg2 said:
with 300hp, and 600 tq.
I know of several well tuned cars that produce higher tq then hp. One is a volvo, and it produces almost 100 more lbs of tq then hp.
Because they are measured at different RPM.

turbo4wd

CMS-GT4":1dkno4gs said:
with 300hp, and 600 tq.

Well an engine making more torque than hp isnt rare, after all you just need to look at big rigs that make 1000 lb/ft of tq while making "only" 500 hp.. I guess it depends on what TTE did in terms of internals, and how they tuned that sucker.. :shrug:

busdriver

Kind of off the topic but I saw an '04 Duramax diesel with twin turbos and 81 lbs of boost that had a dyno sheet for 1300hp and 2100 lb-ft of torque :twisted: . He owns a diesel shop in Malta MT if you are ever in the area..

Conrad_Turbo

CMS-GT4":1tewjl8y said:
with 300hp, and 600 tq.

Hp is derived from torque and rpms, if you have an engine with a lot of torque but can't rev very high then you'll get a very torqey motor with a low peak hp output. Another way to look at it is that you have an engine that is very efficient at a lower rpm than at high/redline rpms.

The WRC cars most likely have a very different hp and torque band than most street cars. Largely due to the restrictor and different design changes to work around that.

alltracman78

busdriver":2m5umxtt said:
Kind of off the topic but I saw an '04 Duramax diesel with twin turbos and 81 lbs of boost that had a dyno sheet for 1300hp and 2100 lb-ft of torque :twisted: . He owns a diesel shop in Malta MT if you are ever in the area..
:shock: damn
81lbs of boost :shock:

The M1A1 tank has 1500hp and 4000 ft/lbs tq. :notworthy:

illGT4

Conrad_Turbo":1t2vzcwl said:
CMS-GT4":1t2vzcwl said:
with 300hp, and 600 tq.

Hp is derived from torque and rpms, if you have an engine with a lot of torque but can't rev very high then you'll get a very torqey motor with a low peak hp output. Another way to look at it is that you have an engine that is very efficient at a lower rpm than at high/redline rpms.

The WRC cars most likely have a very different hp and torque band than most street cars. Largely due to the restrictor and different design changes to work around that.

Yep Yep! Agreed! :)

alltracman78

Gary":2qbidvap said:
CMS-GT4":2qbidvap said:
with 300hp, and 600 tq.
Because they are measured at different RPM.

They aren't measured at different rpm, they just occur at different rpm.
Torque is of course the circular force the engine is producing. Max torque is when the engine is pumping air most effeciently, and hp is simply torque X rpm, so max hp is simply the point where the torque x rpm is the highest #. So you could theoretically have max t and hp at the same rpm. Never seen a engine that way tho :D